shotgun permission advice required

scoobie007

Evening everyone, 

apologies if this is not in the correct sub section.  

i have a valid shotgun cert, and the accompanying shotgun.  ive had my shotgun cert for a number of years, so firearm safety or handling is not new to me, BUT ive only ever shot at clays,at the local range, so here is my question. A conversation with a work colleague led to a permission on a local farm, close range air rifle work etc, but the farm owner would like me to have an impact on the local fox population, he lost a lot of lambs last year due to foxes, and does not want a repeat this year.  This is totally new to me, can i just turn up at his farm, with permission and fire away?.  i'm sure i have read that even though you have permission to shoot on the property, it needs signing off from the local police force to allow certain calibres, any help/advice would be appreciated.

kind regards

Andy

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What weapon do you intend to shoot the foxes with?

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

What are you planning to shoot them with?

If it is the shotgun then you are fine. Just get the correct cartridges and away you go. Obviously make sure your shot is safe.

sorry, should have said, the foxes would be taken with the shotgun, not the air rifle

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good luck, the fox will not just sit and wait for you. Most foxing is with rifles.

i understand most foxing is done with rifles, my main question is the legality and shooting on land you have been given permission for, basically ive been granted permission to shoot, does that include all firearms calibres? 

Try and observe where the fox is coming/going and sit and wait with your shotgun. Let it come as close as possible before attempting a shot, under 20 yards if possible, especially if you only have No. 6 shot. I would recommend No. 4 or 3, but still keep the range short. Foxes can be taken further with a shotgun, but need tight choke and a big load of big shot.

9 minutes ago, scoobie007 said:

basically ive been granted permission to shoot, does that include all firearms calibres? 

That is between you and the person giving the permission. You would then need to see what the land is cleared for and apply for a FAC with required firearms for your permission and quarry.

Edit - oh and be prepared to maybe having  to jump through hoops like getting a mentor before they will grant a centrefire.

Edited by Newbie to this

May i help .

If the farmer has given u permission(verbal or written )  to shoot your air rifle (sub 12 ) at legal quarry then crack on .

If the farmer has given u permission (verbal or written ) to shoot your shot gun at legal quarry  ,then crack on .

If the farmer has given you permission (must be written ) to shoot your fac rifle or fac shot gun or fac air rifle ,then you need to check with your feo that the land is cleared for the calibre you intend to shoot and which quarry YOUR allowed  to take  .once that is done and you know all the boundarys and safe angles and back stops you may proceed with maximum  respect and caution  .

Get the red vermin shot,,your fine crack on ,,,,,sit tight till you see the white of his eyes and I mean sit tight!!!!!

We hunt with terriers to flush the fox out to waiting guns,,if you stay still they will virtually run into you but flinch or lift your gun and then they pick the movement and turn in a flash,, up to max of 20yds no6 will drop them,, bb,,2 or 3 or something like rc50 up to 40yds again aim for boiler room and down they go,,if the farm has cover you could flush them out other than that you may need a bait station youl be very lucky just to walk into 1....

.its a test of nerve make sure you dont blink first!!!!!.......

Pattern a few carts, most of the big ones come in boxes of ten so it's not a dead loss spending loads to find a good un. Don't be afraid of opening the choke up a little, believe me when I say I've had some results better with half than I have full at 40 yards using bbs. Don't ask why, tbh I don't care, they drop that's all that matters. Some open right up, some brands don't, but i did used to like alpha max. 

As millrace says above, keep very still until he's close. Really close. 

Good luck, it's fun foxing with a shotty. 

I've found AAA's pretty devastating on foxes.

Pick a hiding spot with a decent back stop or clear area, bait it regularly with shot squirells/pigeon if you can so hopefully charlie gets confident taking a free and easy meal. You've got a better chance of having him where you want him then and taking him quickly and humanely.

As strimmer said 1/2 choke, big shot through a tight choke can blow the  pattern.

I think the last box I brought were express at just over a tenner, always handy to keep a couple in your pocket just incase.

hello, lots of good answers, i would suggest/ FEO/FAC appropriate rifle application but would take some months to  , until then as London best mentioned, use your 12 and a cartridge to suite, the farmer would not want a shotgun going off to near his lambs/sheep so look for signs of where the foxes come from to the land and wait at a good distance, it would mainly be at night so a good N/V spotter Pard 019 and decent red/white torch,  

It can be done but as said in previous posts it’s difficult , last year had a couple of trips out after a fox up permission , baited a spot and sat out at dusk with a squeaker , could hear it but couldn’t draw it out for a shot , two nights was like this then nothing !