Broad band providers

Davyo

15 hours ago, dm800 said:

Not my experience I am afraid. Awful experience a few years ago. 

Nor mine. 40 minutes minimum on hold whenever you phone them and a general couldn't care less attitude. I went to Talk Talk, despite several doom and gloom warnings from 'people who know', and I haven't looked back. They deliver what you pay for, without any added hassles.

I use wireless broadband from Three. £10 per month unlimited amount. No line rental and all that ****. Plus I have a wireless mobile router that I take abroad with me so get my internet abroad on same contract.

Would never ever go back to any other type of broadband again. Land lines a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

I use wireless broadband from Three. £10 per month unlimited amount. No line rental and all that ****. Plus I have a wireless mobile router that I take abroad with me so get my internet abroad on same contract.

Would never ever go back to any other type of broadband again. Land lines a thing of the past.

hello, that sounds interesting and cheap can you post a Link ?

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, that sounds interesting and cheap can you post a Link ?

Just check out three, they have these contract offers from time to time. I bought my mobile wireless router for about £40 then got a simm only contract.

Further to that I have a sim only deal on my phone with three at £10 per month also. I get unlimited calls,text,and data with that. I can then turn my phone on to a mobile hub and use that for my broadband. 

2 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Just check out three, they have these contract offers from time to time. I bought my mobile wireless router for about £40 then got a simm only contract.

Further to that I have a sim only deal on my phone with three at £10 per month also. I get unlimited calls,text,and data with that. I can then turn my phone on to a mobile hub and use that for my broadband. 

hello, thanks

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thanks

Not much on at the moment but they do great offers but don't keep them that long. The mobile router I use is the hawaei model its about the size of a very small phone and can run about 5 separate devices. I watch live sport on the tele with it no problem.

40 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Not much on at the moment but they do great offers but don't keep them that long. The mobile router I use is the hawaei model its about the size of a very small phone and can run about 5 separate devices. I watch live sport on the tele with it no problem.

Mobile broadband speed really depends on where you live. I tried the Three service but, despite Three promising a lot, never got more than 3mbs so I ditched it. 

Fortunately we have just had fibre to the premises installed by Gigaclear as part of the Rural Essex roll out. Now getting 300 mbs. Yes three hundred! 

49 minutes ago, AVB said:

Mobile broadband speed really depends on where you live. I tried the Three service but, despite Three promising a lot, never got more than 3mbs so I ditched it. 

Fortunately we have just had fibre to the premises installed by Gigaclear as part of the Rural Essex roll out. Now getting 300 mbs. Yes three hundred! 

At what speed do you stop noticing a difference? 

51 minutes ago, AVB said:

That's true, I get fast 4G so it works for me but if your local signal is poor then it's not for you

28 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

At what speed do you stop noticing a difference? 

Good question. For web browsing I don’t see much difference between 5 and 300, probably because there is contention at many points between you and the server hosting the website you are accessing. Downloading films is where you see a big difference. 

My son sees a massive difference playing x box games where apparently you can never have too much. 

12 hours ago, AVB said:

My son sees a massive difference playing x box games where apparently you can never have too much. 

And mobile data tends to have more latency than "telephone wiring" - I have two gamers in my house - one is quite a good eSports racing driver - DHL Fastest Lap at Silverstone last year - the other is into general gaming and lately is doing blog casts about it as well as other stuff.

When internet problems hit they are hunting me down with a pike to put my head on!!!

20 minutes ago, discobob said:

And mobile data tends to have more latency than "telephone wiring" - I have two gamers in my house - one is quite a good eSports racing driver - DHL Fastest Lap at Silverstone last year - the other is into general gaming and lately is doing blog casts about it as well as other stuff.

When internet problems hit they are hunting me down with a pike to put my head on!!!

Tell me about it. When we were on ‘slow’ broadband he was forever storming around the house shouting “whose hogging the internet”. Inevitably it was his sister watching YouTube. WW3 would then erupt. Wish I could have gotbthem into shooting instead!