Reloading 7.62x39

Hi

You should be able to  get some good information from Muir (Andrew), on the Stalking Directory Forum, who has just bought and been extolling the virtues of the calibre/accuracy in a variety of ammuntion (admittedly factory) in his New Years new rifle.

L

2 hours ago, Antman-nz said:

I need info about reloading subsonic 7.62x39. I've done some online research, but haven't really gained a definitive answer. I need a reliable load for shooting deer and feral pigs. Anyone doing this, or knowing how to?

Loading that calibre to subsonic levels would mean it won't be legal for deer. I am not sure if feral pigs / boar have a minimum energy limit, but I wouldn't want to be shooting them with something going subsonic. 

If you want information on loading that cartridge then a very good source of information would be the Shooters Forum as I know there are a fair number on there who reload them.

I would doubt however if you could reload a sub sonic load which would be a reliable humane killer of either species UNLESS you are talking very close range brain shots.

The cartridge is certainly in standard form below the legal limit here in the UK for deer but can be loaded to JUST meet the criterior. I don't work on JUST, I like a cartridge that I know ill do the job and a bit more if necessary.

Edited by Walker570

38 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If you want information on loading that cartridge then a very good source of information would be the Shooters Forum as I know there are a fair number on there who reload them.

I would doubt however if you could reload a sub sonic load which would be a reliable humane killer of either species UNLESS you are talking very close range brain shots.

The cartridge is certainly in standard form below the legal limit here in the UK for deer but can be loaded to JUST meet the criterior. I don't work on JUST, I like a cartridge that I know ill do the job and a bit more if necessary.

Thing is though the UK criteria is a bit off. We all know big slow moving calibre's are heavy hitters when stopping game, yet some of them don't meet the UK spec. 

Do we really think a 7.62x39 isn't able to drop a Roe? or a Fallow? I think with the right bullet head it would be more than capable. 

7.62x39 is easy to get UK deer legal with the right powder.  

you’ll not get it deer legal subsonic but the Americans do put it together I believe hard to get semi auto to cycle reliably and magazine length can be an issue.  Trail boss will give an accurate slow round but not quite subsonic in my playing around.

id like a load like the 300 whisper that I can use on a restricted energy range near me.  I’ll play soon! 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thing is though the UK criteria is a bit off. We all know big slow moving calibre's are heavy hitters when stopping game, yet some of them don't meet the UK spec. 

Do we really think a 7.62x39 isn't able to drop a Roe? or a Fallow? I think with the right bullet head it would be more than capable. 

I am sure it would but there are much better choices. Why use something which is probably marginal?

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Who uses an AK47 for shooting deer?   

Not an AK 47 but a CZ carbine in 7.62x39

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I am sure it would but there are much better choices. Why use something which is probably marginal?

It’s very efficient and far from marginal delivering a lot more energy than a 22cf. It also allows a shorter carbine that’s very nice to shoot in woods.  

The ‘better choices’ are based on your preference otherwise we’d all just have 308 win  and everything would be null and void.  

Edited by welshwarrior

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Who uses an AK47 for shooting deer?   

Ruger , Howa and CZ all do their rifles chambered in 7.62x39

He is in NZ, maybe hog control from heli’s using an AK it is? Just because we’re used to things here, doesn’t mean to say that it’s unacceptable elsewhere 

On 22/01/2020 at 16:41, welshwarrior said:

Not an AK 47 but a CZ carbine in 7.62x39

It’s very efficient and far from marginal delivering a lot more energy than a 22cf. It also allows a shorter carbine that’s very nice to shoot in woods.  

The ‘better choices’ are based on your preference otherwise we’d all just have 308 win  and everything would be null and void.  

I usually use one of my .308’s for sport/meat shooting. The subsonic set-up is for areas that are close to towns and settlements when not waking up the neighbours is desirable, and for shooting as many animals as possible in the shortest time, ie pest control. I develop shooting systems for pest controllers who are contracted by regional councils, wildlife trusts, Department of Conservation etc, for clearing deer, pigs and goats in areas set aside for native forest regeneration.