Hedgehogs.

Jim Sarakun

I love all life. But I want to talk about hedgehogs. Four Hedgehogs feed from my hedgehog feeder, dog food, cat food, dog biscuits, cat buiscuits, they are not fussy. They come every night, I video them, just to make sure it is not Rats or other vermin, like Cats... OOoops. Sorry to the cat lovers. Nope, definitely Hedgehogs. They should, according to Google, be hibernating right now. They are not. Anyone with a bit of savvy, will have noticed, that the last 30 years or so, winters are milder, so why should they hibernate?

My query is, why has the local Hedgehog rescue centre, had 300 Hedgehogs donated in the last month? Why can people not leave them alone, to evolve to our warmer climate? I am probably dumb, and missing something. Your help would be graciously appreciated.

Hedgehogs.

We have a 5-6 that normally visit or feeding boxes each night, a couple are still feeding but the others are either hibernating or have moved on. Ours love Tesco’s kitten biscuits - they get through 4 bags a weeks from spring through to November 

Edited by V8 90

Are they helping them though? Do they need to take them to a sanctuary? Will they not adapt if left alone? I don't see anyone taking Squirrels to the sanctuary.

Have you ever tried to catch a squirrel? My dog tries most days and hasn't a hope in hell of getting that bushy tail in his jaws. A hedgehog rolls up in A  ball and can just be picked up. 

I'd love to see a few hedgehogs in my garden but the fields surrounding it are coated in slug pellets by the farmer and badgers roam all over. 

Certainly greys will stay in bed in realy bad weather but a warm ray of sunshine will have them out looking for a meal.  We don't have reds so do not know if they act the same. They certainly do not hibernate. Hibernation is when an animal goes into a deep sleep, think dormouse.  I have had a peep into a few dormouse boxes over the years and believe me they are deep asleep, facinating little creatures and would love to have them in my own wood.  Hedgehogs do a very similar thing but will wake up and look for food occasionally.  Having now very closely monitored grey squirrels for over three years I can tell you they are active year round and some of my best bags have been in January and February.

22 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Yea done that 

what’s the problem 

they need them for when they come out of hibernation in the spring when there’s a shortage of food 

50ABAE13-F637-4DDC-BE3A-E21AEC12C84A.png

No idea whee you got the facts fom but UK greys don`t hibernate (caveat; see walker570`s first sentence) but collect and store broad leaf tree seeds so they have a store of food to fall back on when the ground is frozen or coveed in snow.

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Certainly greys will stay in bed in realy bad weather but a warm ray of sunshine will have them out looking for a meal.  We don't have reds so do not know if they act the same. They certainly do not hibernate. Hibernation is when an animal goes into a deep sleep, think dormouse.  I have had a peep into a few dormouse boxes over the years and believe me they are deep asleep, facinating little creatures and would love to have them in my own wood.  Hedgehogs do a very similar thing but will wake up and look for food occasionally.  Having now very closely monitored grey squirrels for over three years I can tell you they are active year round and some of my best bags have been in January and February.

Reds do the same as we have quite a few here as well as greys particularly whee mixed and conifer blocks meet. Agree as well with jan Feb as good times for thining greys, even had a few nests with half grown kits in them during Feb.