Still built strong

WalkedUp

20 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Any loss of consciousness no matter how brief in a confirmed or suspected head or neck trauma requires very swift assessment in secondary care (hospital).

Excellent news that he has fully recovered.

Yes, had we or the school been aware that he had lost consciousness he would have been sent in an ambulance. The teacher at school was only 10m away and went to his side, the school assessed him for a head injury at the time and were unaware (and so were we) due to the brevity of loss of consciousness and the lack of other symptoms (normal pupil reaction, no vomiting, no sign of head trauma etc - he was wearing a thick hood and the obvious impact was to his cheek so no external damage to the skin). With a 4 year old it is difficult to know how to ask the right questions, however the paediatric neuro consultants made it look so easy. 

Post CV-19 I will send them a picture of him playing happily with his brothers and some flowers. 

Edited by WalkedUp

At his recent assessment the senior neurosurgeon at the Walton (a very cheery old man) also revised the initial Alder Hey diagnosis, down grading the injury from a major brain injury to a minor head injury. The blood on the brain he surmised was due to the fracture haemotoma rather than a subdural haemotoma. So my understanding is that the blood leaking onto the brain from the skull, rather than leaking out of a blood vessel in the brain. 

Edited by WalkedUp

24 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

At his recent assessment the senior neurosurgeon at the Walton (a very cheery old man) also revised the initial Alder Hey diagnosis, down grading the injury from a major brain injury to a minor head injury. The blood on the brain he surmised was due to the fracture haemotoma rather than a subdural haemotoma. So my understanding is that the blood leaking onto the brain from the skull, rather than leaking out of a blood vessel in the brain. 

I would assume from what you say it was a extradural haematoma in which the blood collection is between the outer layer of the brain and the skull, you are correct in your understanding. The brain is surrounded by several layers, the outer layer the Dura mater, next comes the Arachnoid mater layer , then the Pia mater which directly surrounds the brain. These are collectively know as the meninges,  viral or bacterial Inflammation or infection of one or more of these layers is meningitis,  menigococcal pathogens can be a common cause of meningitis however there are many pathogens which also cause infections of the meninges.

The downgrading of the prognosis to a minor head injury is very encouraging and is excellent news in what must have been a difficult time your wife ,yourself and the little fella. That said, it never ceases to amaze me at how resilient children can be through such times. All power to him! Hopefully he will be able to get out and about when things improve given the present climate.

The Walton center and Alder hey are world class and most frequently I send patients their way who present with acute and sub-acute head injuries, suspected strokes and bleeds among many other neurological red flag (clinically concerning symptoms of a more serious underlying pathology) conditions.

He appears to have made short work of that corn on the cob and back at full steam. 👍