Six Nations

bumpy22

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done corp hospitality for clients in the past, just ordinary seats, no boxes. I'd love to know what proportion of seats are allocated to clubs and how many made available to commercial outlets - I reckon most are NOT available to Joe Public. 

The ordinary fan is pretty much excluded from  6 Nations games (except away to Italy). My main complaint (I have loads more....) about my favourite sport since it turned professional is the way the game has turned its back on ordinary supporters. But as long as the money keeps rolling in, no-one of importance gives a monkey's.

Not sure if it is totally true of all UK teams. I had the Scotland season pass 2012 onwards for four or five years, originally@ £70 face value and was easy to get for lower tear corner or ends of stands with good views. The last year it was@ £240/250 and since I was only really going to see England stuff them every two years I gave it up. Unfortunately Scotland were pretty lackluster then and I should have sold the other games on to a proper supporter and recouped my money, but it was fun at the time.

22 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

I've done corp hospitality for clients in the past, just ordinary seats, no boxes. I'd love to know what proportion of seats are allocated to clubs and how many made available to commercial outlets - I reckon most are NOT available to Joe Public. 

The ordinary fan is pretty much excluded from  6 Nations games (except away to Italy). My main complaint (I have loads more....) about my favourite sport since it turned professional is the way the game has turned its back on ordinary supporters. But as long as the money keeps rolling in, no-one of importance gives a monkey's.

I'm going back probably 5 years but me and my mate went watching Scotland v England,  just two normal fans booked tickets on line, just had to do it well in advance. 

Can you not still do this?

On 29/01/2020 at 12:22, Fatcatsplat said:

Just got invited on a corporate to England vs Wales - Boom!

Very nice, I'll get around to watching England at Twickenham at some point. 

On 29/01/2020 at 13:19, henry d said:

Every time I have seen people in corporate hosp boxes they seem to be trashing the bar and their livers, I think I would rather sit and watch the game as at least I would remember what happened.

I'm in the stands mate - Can usually get tickets via my old club or mates that still play, but free is free - 90% of the crowd at Twickenham are drinking beyond the standard recommended units and I must admit, you do see a lot more amateurs these days, but it's a rugby "thing"

On 29/01/2020 at 14:07, WestonSalop said:

ALL clubs get an allocation, but loads sell them to corporate scalpers as they know they can get a ton of money for them - Especially when the clubs are miles away from Twickenham, Murrayfield etc and they are unlikely to sell within the club due to the distance. If you are standard Joe Public and not affiliated to a club, you're stuffed unless you want to see exhibition games like the Barbarians, Army vs Navy or the Varsity match really. Bear in mind also the debenture holders - If you can find one, keep them close as they are truly priceless!!! England only play 4 or 5 times a year at Twickenham, so demand will always be very high. 

According to Wikipedia, there's 1,900 rugby clubs in the UK - Go join one as a social member, watch some grass roots rugby, drink some beer and enter their ballots for tickets. It'll cost you a few quid (literally) and you'll have a great time and a ticket to watch the Internationals as well as giving them some support.

22 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

I'm in the stands mate - Can usually get tickets via my old club or mates that still play, but free is free - 90% of the crowd at Twickenham are drinking beyond the standard recommended units and I must admit, you do see a lot more amateurs these days, but it's a rugby "thing"

Good to hear, thats where I would be, I even prefer to stand. I could do it at Murrayfield as my seat was back row and Falcons south stand is standing, when I`m too frail I will sit

ALL clubs get an allocation, but loads sell them to corporate scalpers as they know they can get a ton of money for them - Especially when the clubs are miles away from Twickenham, Murrayfield etc and they are unlikely to sell within the club due to the distance.

Falcons iirc have a system where you pay 1 or 2K for your seat at Kingston park and are guaranteed tickets for twickers. Not sure my funds will go that far, but who knows.

Go join one as a social member, watch some grass roots rugby, drink some beer and enter their ballots for tickets. It'll cost you a few quid (literally) and you'll have a great time and a ticket to watch the Internationals as well as giving them some support.

I intend to get more involved with Falcons from next season as we have been following from a distance and get to a few games a year, but after the summer break I will be just down the road from them

Looking forward to a fun weekend, sorry Scotland but you are gonna get hoofed all round the park

30 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

I can see this ending badly for them. Wales looking strong to be fair with Italy's defence looking very tired already

Yeah credit to Wales. They've got the chance to well and truly batter this lot and I can see them taking it. One game in and I can already hear the rumblings about the value of Italy in the Six Nations...

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah credit to Wales. They've got the chance to well and truly batter this lot and I can see them taking it. One game in and I can already hear the rumblings about the value of Italy in the Six Nations...

Not undeserved though. Italy are only in it for other teams to get the bonus point. I feel sorry for them getting battered every game, every year. Should go back to 5 Nations IMO.

8 minutes ago, walshie said:

Not undeserved though. Italy are only in it for other teams to get the bonus point. I feel sorry for them getting battered every game, every year. Should go back to 5 Nations IMO.

Make the extra team a mix up, Italy Georgia etc, it's still a nice away trip for the Fans. But I don't bother watching Italy,  no point, I like competitive games.

26 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Make the extra team a mix up, Italy Georgia etc, it's still a nice away trip for the Fans. But I don't bother watching Italy,  no point, I like competitive games.

European rugby's so close to being able to get a two-tier system going, it just needs one more nation, but I can't think of anyone, unless I've missed someone?
League 1                 League 2
England                   Georgia
France                     Romania
Ireland                     Spain 
Italy                         Russia
Scotland            
Wales

If you're going to have relegation/promotion, I don't think it's fair to have one of the original five nations threatened with relegation, but 4 doesn't seem enough to justify a league. Have I missed any other Europe side worth considering?

19 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

European rugby's so close to being able to get a two-tier system going, it just needs one more nation, but I can't think of anyone, unless I've missed someone?

Not necessarily Europe, how about sneaking Argentina in? It's a nations thing not a hemispherical thing?

Scotland are on form, well done them

Edited by henry d

7 minutes ago, henry d said:

Not necessarily Europe, how about sneaking Argentina in? It's a nations thing not a hemispherical thing?

Scotland are on form, well done them

I wouldn't want to see the format of the tournament change though, so having all participating nations within a reasonable flight distance would make it easier. None of the teams would want Argentina in it because of logistics. 14 hour flight from the UK for an away game, then back again for the other fixtures? Then think of Argentina having to do Argentina to Europe two or three times in the comp. 

Scotland once again shooting themselves in the foot with errors! If they could go pen free, this Ireland side is there for the taking

33 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Scotland once again shooting themselves in the foot with errors! If they could go pen free, this Ireland side is there for the taking

And not drop the ball over the line🙈🙈

Another pen trying to block the chaser, really.

I suspect all the teams will get stronger as weeks go by. Scots came up short today. But if a certain player had not drank too much could of been a different result. Wales had a solid performance against a poor team to be fair. Just hope England turn up now. A few changes but the team looks well balanced. Be interesting to see how the back row go.