Dog treats

dipper

Been a few bad reports about treats made out of animal by products .Aparently  thay come from China.The cattle thay come from are contaminated  2 young dogs had to be put down.Got my dog a cooked beef bone .Nextday he was sick and loose all day.Most pet shops stock these treats.

ly 

Bought some from Tesco a couple of months back - sausage type treat but didn't give it a thought until I noticed the sell by date was about 6 months - concerned about how much preservative must be in the treat further investigation did indeed reveal that China was the producer - bit late however as , by now, both my Dogs were sick. We only use Purina Adventuros Sticks or Nuggets - yet to find either a Dog that doesn't love them or has any side effects.

Edited by bruno22rf

Had 14 dogs through my life and never ever gave them 'treats'. I would share a sandwich or a bit of pork pie in a pigeon blind, whatever I had for lunch but this craze I see out on shoots with dogs expecting something for being well behaved, then I don't go along with that.  I never had a treat for being well mannered and good when i was a kid, it was expected of me and enforced and seems that where most of the world has gone mad with a well mannered kid or even person these days tends to shock you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/01/2020 at 17:05, Walker570 said:

Had 14 dogs through my life and never ever gave them 'treats'. I would share a sandwich or a bit of pork pie in a pigeon blind, whatever I had for lunch but this craze I see out on shoots with dogs expecting something for being well behaved, then I don't go along with that.  I never had a treat for being well mannered and good when i was a kid, it was expected of me and enforced and seems that where most of the world has gone mad with a well mannered kid or even person these days tends to shock you.

This ^^^^

a treat for a gun dog is it’s next retrieve  

I have to agree with the old boys. I’m only 3 dogs in and I haven’t used treats for at least 10 years now. My best dog would spit out any food if I tried to give him a treat when training... 100% laser focus on the job at hand. They know they get fed at 6am and 6pm. When we have a picnic or bbq etc they lie next to us, they are never fed a crust or scrap by hand. If they take food from the floor woe betide them. However at dinner tonight they had the trimmings from some excellent steak, egg shells, old cheese and their kibble in their bowls It goes in, they sit waiting with eye contact and then on command eat it. Seen far too many bad dogs on shoots and in the park. If at lunch time another gun’s dog fusses me for my crust... it learns manners quickly. I’ve seen children injured by badly behaved dogs ripping food from their hands.