New tool

Lampwick

I ordered this way back in May and was getting slightly miffed at the excuses but it finally arrived and it had the Power Plenum too! Which I wouldn’t have got in May, so that cheered me up!! It’s the FAC .25

Now to fit it out! I was going to pop my Pulsar thermal on it but think that would be wasting its potential so I’m going to look for a decent scope and use a Pard 007 when needs must (I think) 

96A4D8B7-26FD-40C0-9FEC-AF857594D2E9.jpeg

415F257C-4CF4-44F9-8E85-9475B7139EDB.jpeg

Edited by Lampwick
Images to follow

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Nice .all u need now is a slug barrel and some fx hybrid .25 cal slugs and your set for 55 fpe  200 yds kills  .

A very irresponsible post, IMO.

A .22 Hornet with 700 plus ft lb is good for 200 yard kills. 
A .22 LR subsonic with 100 ft lb is not suitable.

How come you think 55 ft lb at the muzzle makes an air gun suitable to risk taking on live quarry at 200 yards. Discounting the occasional rare fluke kill, of course.

8 minutes ago, London Best said:

A very irresponsible post, IMO.

A .22 Hornet with 700 plus ft lb is good for 200 yard kills. 
A .22 LR subsonic with 100 ft lb is not suitable.

How come you think 55 ft lb at the muzzle makes an air gun suitable to risk taking on live quarry at 200 yards. Discounting the occasional rare fluke kill, of course.

You need to do some research. 

Its fine .to be fair he has a point .

200 yds is a long way .

But the retained energy is fine (30 fpe )

The massive 60 inch drop can be allowed for with rangefinders .

And the very high bc from a subsonic projectile should be stable out that far .leading to low dispersion .

The biggest issue at 200 yds is winddrift  but shoot on a calm day and that becomes next to  void  also .

The real challenge is to the skill of the shooter not so much the gun  

6 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

I'm no air rifle expert but in my experience @Ultrastu is one of the best air rifle nerds on here, @LampwickI can imagine you were grinning from ear to ear when the gun was finally in your possession, if you haven't already seen it look at Giles' video about the power plenum on YouTube, he loves it. 

I will take that as a compliment  

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

There’s a saying 

think before you shoot 

similar to posting 

ultrastu is far from a chairgun shooter and to be honest you should be apologising to him 

If I have caused Ultrastu any offence, then I apologise unreservedly as no offence was intended. I do realise that he is considered a bit of a “guru”.
The ballistics in question must be very similar to a 60 ft lb .22Short, which has killed a man at about half a mile. Does that make it a suitable rifle for shooting man sized quarry at half a mile? No. 
Let me tell you a story:  The last time I was in Africa another man was also staying at my friend’s property. He was a long range enthusiast, who took great pride in showing me how easy it was to hit 500 metre gongs. I tried it, and he was right, it was easy once he had calculated drop, used a rangefinder and a wind meter and set it all up. Really easy. He was using a .300 Win Magnum, a rifle with, at a guess, approaching 4000 ft lb muzzle energy, so plenty of residual energy. Because it was so effective on gongs this man thought it acceptable to shoot at animals at the same ranges, even 700 metres at one. I spent three days hunting down his wounded animals, two Warthogs and a Kudu bull. We never did find the Kudu. The injuries to the pigs were horrendous. Stick to targets for shots at long range, and when hunting use the old advice, “get as close as you can boy, and then get ten yards closer.”

Edited by London Best

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

If I have caused Ultrastu any offence, then I apologise unreservedly as no offence was intended. I do realise that he is considered a bit of a “guru”.
The ballistics in question must be very similar to a 60 ft lb .22Short, which has killed a man at about half a mile. Does that make it a suitable rifle for shooting man sized quarry at half a mile? No. 
Let me tell you a story:  The last time I was in Africa another man was also staying at my friend’s property. He was a long range enthusiast, who took great pride in showing me how easy it was to hit 500 metre gongs. I tried it, and he was right, it was easy once he had calculated drop, used a rangefinder and a wind meter and set it all up. Really easy. He was using a .300 Win Magnum, a rifle with, at a guess, approaching 4000 ft lb muzzle energy, so plenty of residual energy. Because it was so effective on gongs this man thought it acceptable to shoot at animals at the same ranges, even 700 metres at one. I spent three days hunting down his wounded animals, two Warthogs and a Kudu bull. We never did find the Kudu. The injuries to the pigs were horrendous. Stick to targets for shots at long range, and when hunting use the old advice, “*** as close as you can boy, and then *** ten yards closer.”

Thanks for the story 

? why wasn’t the shooter tracking his own wounded animals 

11 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Thanks for the story 

? why wasn’t the shooter tracking his own wounded animals 

Because his fieldcraft was zero. He had learned to shoot at targets, end of.

PS I wasn’t alone, I had three , shall we say, ‘local’ trackers with me. Those boys are GOOD. I was more or less just on despatch.

Edited by London Best

I think that there is currently a MASSIVE shift in terms of what we perceive an "airgun " can do these days  .

We have airguns of up to . 50 cal that carry more energy than some centre fire rifles .and are passed  in some US  states for deer .then there are the fx and others shooting slugs that hold accuracy  and energy at huge ranges and then dump that energy very well on impact .