New tool

Lampwick

1 hour ago, London Best said:

If I have caused Ultrastu any offence, then I apologise unreservedly as no offence was intended. I do realise that he is considered a bit of a “guru”.
The ballistics in question must be very similar to a 60 ft lb .22Short, which has killed a man at about half a mile. Does that make it a suitable rifle for shooting man sized quarry at half a mile? No. 
Let me tell you a story:  The last time I was in Africa another man was also staying at my friend’s property. He was a long range enthusiast, who took great pride in showing me how easy it was to hit 500 metre gongs. I tried it, and he was right, it was easy once he had calculated drop, used a rangefinder and a wind meter and set it all up. Really easy. He was using a .300 Win Magnum, a rifle with, at a guess, approaching 4000 ft lb muzzle energy, so plenty of residual energy. Because it was so effective on gongs this man thought it acceptable to shoot at animals at the same ranges, even 700 metres at one. I spent three days hunting down his wounded animals, two Warthogs and a Kudu bull. We never did find the Kudu. The injuries to the pigs were horrendous. Stick to targets for shots at long range, and when hunting use the old advice, “get as close as you can boy, and then get ten yards closer.”

Even I could hit a 500 metre gong. It must have weighed a fair bit. 😂

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt airgun have come along light years in the last decade. My ultra xl  is bargin basement in comparison but will easily hit a coke bottle top laid sideways at 50 metres literally all day long. Its Boringly accurate really. There's nothing special about the gun, the trigger is poor but predictable. The retained energy sufficient to humanly kill small game, often (mostly) clean through  head shots.

I don't doubt this fac 25 could kill at range if the shooter can place the pellet. Theres plenty of videos on youtube of people doing excatly that over and over again, good shots granted but the guns are up to the task with incredible consistency and zero recoil.  The weak link being the shooter. 

And it does look like a ray gun. Quite jealous. 

Got to admit a mate of mine has a fx impact and I  am impressed with that. He puts a lot of time in doing comps etc but some of the shooting is impressive for a airgun. When I am used to powder burners. Don't think I will stump up the cash though quite happy with my old falcon lighthunter

Only comment I have is the hybrid slugs from FX don't require a slug liner.

Which is great if you want to shoot pellets too.

If only going to use slugs the slug liner is perfect.

Very nice gun, my impact MK2 sub12 is silver without the fac plenum.

Very accurate guns.

Yes I was looking at the slug liner but saw it is rather irrelevant with the new slugs on the way. 

As an update, guess what? 

I still haven't set it up and shot it. How sad is that? I was going to put my Pulsar on it but decided it deserved a proper scope and then decided to wait until The Shooting Show before I jumped in. However I do like the look of the PAO 5-20x50 ffp. Any thoughts? 

4 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Yes I was looking at the slug liner but saw it is rather irrelevant with the new slugs on the way. 

I still haven't set it up and shot it. How sad is that? I was going to put my Pulsar on it but decided it deserved a proper scope and then decided to wait until The Shooting Show before I jumped in. However I do like the look of the PAO 5-20x50 ffp. Any thoughts? 

Yeah why a ffp scope  ? 

I prefer ffp scopes as I do play with the magnification. Sfp had me stuck at 10x to use the mildots and range card.

Get the right reticle and ffp is great and not too thick at high mag. 

Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x 50 has I nice reticle and zero stop lockable turrets. 

I have a thing for by the best i can for the money i can afford at the time. What has the most for the application. If i swap a rifle and the scopes not what u want fpr that rifle ill change it. Tbf my wife bought me the hawke vantage 6-24×44 30 sf i disnt need dialing turrets but it has them and there quite shallow so stqy out the way which is what i wanted. 

The xtx ultra has a hawke airmax 30 sf ir 3-12x50 AMX. Suits it perfectly. Ypu can dial on that properly.

The bantam sniper hr has the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP on and that dials well. 

SFS HW imp has hawke airmax 30 compact 3-12x40 on that has dialing turrets not used it properly yet though. 

I do like to hold over most of the time as they all have stickers for ranges on great for quick hunting poa. Dialings good for target and tracking from prone possition

On 01/02/2020 at 09:34, Lampwick said:

Where are you from mate? PAO are based in stonnel way lichfield. They guy who owns it use to work work weblry and thats where the designs came from not seen his current scopes but when i was in the workshop talking to him few years ago ot was comming on alot and new pipeline products looks good. What sort of money are you looking at spending?

Edited by Arron yeates

57 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

I have a thing for by the best i can for the money i can afford at the time. What has the most for the application. If i swap a rifle and the scopes not what u want fpr that rifle ill change it. Tbf my wife bought me the hawke vantage 6-24×44 30 sf i disnt need dialing turrets but it has them and there quite shallow so stqy out the way which is what i wanted. 

The xtx ultra has a hawke airmax 30 sf ir 3-12x50 AMX. Suits it perfectly. Ypu can dial on that properly.

The bantam sniper hr has the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP on and that dials well. 

SFS HW imp has hawke airmax 30 compact 3-12x40 on that has dialing turrets not used it properly yet though. 

I do like to hold over most of the time as they all have stickers for ranges on great for quick hunting poa. Dialings good for target and tracking from prone possition

Where are you from mate? PAO are based in stonnel way lichfield. They guy who owns it use to work work weblry and thats where the designs came from not seen his current scopes but when i was in the workshop talking to him few years ago ot was comming on alot and new pipeline products looks good. What sort of money are you looking at spending?

I’m in Suffolk. I’m looking at about £400.00 I’m keen to shoot it out to 200m (targets) but will be using it up to 100m on rabbits and down close for rats and squirrels. 

As mentioned I will probably be popping 007 on it for night work. 

I have been told to go 008 and forget the add on but not sure how good that’s going to be on targets at distances? 

Cheers