hessian sacking

oowee

Thank you for the suggestions. 

Apparently the hessian can transfer fibres (not sure what that matters as its in the fur) to the carcas and the covering needs to be away from the body of the animal to stop flys laying eggs through the material. Someone else suggested a mosquito net and I have some of those, bed sized so will look to rig up a hooped cover of some sort. 

The gambrels and hoist are in a line on the log store so one large net should cover them. 

Edited by oowee

24 minutes ago, oowee said:

Thank you for the suggestions. 

Apparently the hessian can transfer fibres (not sure what that matters as its in the fur) to the carcas and the covering needs to be away from the body of the animal to stop flys laying eggs through the material. Someone else suggested a mosquito net and I have some of those, bed sized so will look to rig up a hooped cover of some sort. 

The gambrels and hoist are in a line on the log store so one large net should cover them. 

Here ya go, hoops and mesh all in one place.

Carpmesh/sack keep net. Carp mesh is very fine to stop the trailing edge on the main dorsal spine, with is serrated, from catching in the net. It should be tight enough to stop flies.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1CHBD_enGB757GB757&sxsrf=ACYBGNS8dk1iqB5bQYMlIAxHB-GW6iltmA%3A1579870111722&ei=n-cqXrrUK8qW8gL1kIqQCg&q=carp+sack+keep+net&oq=carp+sack+keep+net&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i13i5i30l2.145466.148457..153660...0.2..0.107.761.4j4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i333j0i10j0i5i30j0i7i5i30j0i8i7i30.IcKyYTHFXh0&ved=0ahUKEwj6n7PmopznAhVKi1wKHXWIAqIQ4dUDCAs

1 hour ago, mick miller said:

I was about to say carp sack. You can get some huge ones, zipped, with handles, washable, pack down small. 

Ebay 173880545833

The keep net type would the material off of the carcass. You would get two out of a 12ft net.

Edited by Penelope

I made up a couple of long bags by sewing up some mosquito netting and I then made some hoops about 2ft in diamter out of water pipe...just stuffed some wood in to join the ends and these pushed up around the carcase held the net away. Worked a treat.   Tend not to shoot much summer venison these days so do not get a fly problem.  Don't know where those bags went or you could have them.

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Tend not to shoot much summer venison these days so do not get a fly problem. 

Problem round here a lot of the new stalkers can't sex roe clearly so prefer to shoot bucks in summer months while it's easy. 

Can't see the point in fly nets personally during summer as soon as cleaned they should be put in a chiller asap

Hi

Scaffolders debris netting, nylon so washable.

2 poly-pipe hoops - yellow gas board type or similar - appropriate diameter to take a Roe, knotted at the bottom and a hoop, other hoop at the top once slid over deer. Long side will need sewing/velcro.

I have a roll of the netting somewhere so could sort out enough for a couple.

If the animals are hung overnight then they are in effect 'step chilling' from 35 deg down to ambient naturaly, before active chilling and It avoids having to clean out the chiller. The net is a useful precaution when the flys are getting up early 🙂

The recent studies on carcass chilling and palatability tests published last year suggest slow or stepped chilling as better for the tenderness and palatability of the meat by avoiding 'cold shortening'. Compared to faster chilling techniques no increase in bacteria counts was found between the different chilling methods. 

On 26/01/2020 at 18:22, bumpy22 said:

Problem round here a lot of the new stalkers can't sex roe clearly so prefer to shoot bucks in summer months while it's easy. 

Can't see the point in fly nets personally during summer as soon as cleaned they should be put in a chiller asap

Jesus wept. 

Do you mean they are trying to avoid shooting a buck in the doe season? 

sexing roe is pretty basic stuff. Why do they let it put them off culling during the winter?

10 hours ago, oowee said:

If the animals are hung overnight then they are in effect 'step chilling' from 35 deg down to ambient naturaly, before active chilling and It avoids having to clean out the chiller. The net is a useful precaution when the flys are getting up early 🙂

The recent studies on carcass chilling and palatability tests published last year suggest slow or stepped chilling as better for the tenderness and palatability of the meat by avoiding 'cold shortening'. Compared to faster chilling techniques no increase in bacteria counts was found between the different chilling methods. 

That sounds logical. 

Could you build yourself a purpose built fly safe?

From your posts on here you seem to shoot quite a few bucks, I bet you have the use for one.