Help guidance please

New rough shoot starting up and would like people’s views please 

1. Size release pen for 500-600 poults MxM squares if possible 

2. Rearing from days old roughly how much pellet and wheat from taking delivery to end of season would you estimate needed 

and lastly any place to get cheap supply’s for pens supply’s post netting drinkers etc 

thanks any advice helpful 

600 in one pen ?  In my view the bigger the better but at least/minimum 3000sq yrds ....  30 x 100   or 55yrds square as near as dam it and that is if you have some good cover as well.

I am sure there will be other views as it is a subject like asking how long is a piece of string.

Ref feed I have lost touch on but sure someone on here can fill that in.

16 hours ago, farmboy807 said:

New rough shoot starting up and would like people’s views please 

1. Size release pen for 500-600 poults MxM squares if possible 

2. Rearing from days old roughly how much pellet and wheat from taking delivery to end of season would you estimate needed 

and lastly any place to get cheap supply’s for pens supply’s post netting drinkers etc 

thanks any advice helpful 

Aris fencing is great for building pens, if you can get hold of it.

We try and make a metre perimeter per bird, half that would be just about enough but  bigger is better! Only issue is if the pen doesn’t work and sometimes even a lovely spot just doesn’t then you have some serious work to remove it all.

I reared 75 pheasants last year and they used about 10-15 kg a week of the different stages of pellets that’s needed plus you will need gas heaters ideally or some lamb breeding lights in your shed with access to a netted pen when they get a few weeks old.

Where will you have your day olds in relation to your shoot as to transport 600 birds your looking at needing about 18 crates which are about £30+ a pop.

From the 7 week old poults in the wood I would say you would need 2 tonnes of pellets and then probably another 5 tonne of wheat depending on how well your birds stay, the amount of feeders and other birds/animals that use them as well. 

3 hours ago, Nmb said:

We try and make a metre perimeter per bird, half that would be just about enough but  bigger is better! Only issue is if the pen doesn’t work and sometimes even a lovely spot just doesn’t then you have some serious work to remove it all.

I reared 75 pheasants last year and they used about 10-15 kg a week of the different stages of pellets that’s needed plus you will need gas heaters ideally or some lamb breeding lights in your shed with access to a netted pen when they get a few weeks old.

Where will you have your day olds in relation to your shoot as to transport 600 birds your looking at needing about 18 crates which are about £30+ a pop.

From the 7 week old poults in the wood I would say you would need 2 tonnes of pellets and then probably another 5 tonne of wheat depending on how well your birds stay, the amount of feeders and other birds/animals that use them as well. 

Thanks for this yes owner lives in on land with stables electric running water with paddocks etc to rear so hopefully

all good with that part 

just the size of the pen really I need help with and amount of food 

so a pen for 500-600 poults what sort of size you talking 50x50m

100x100m