Most reread book in your collection

washerboy

57 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

joseph heller and catch22,

I've gone through 2 copies of that one, closely followed by closing time. can't read one without the other.

With you with Catch 22, read it five times and it's different each time. Closing time - read it once never again!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sherlock Holmes series of book By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the short stories in particular, though I do re-read the novels every few years.  I am currently listening to Stephen Fry's narration of the books and I would highly recommend them.

I have read a number of other 'Holmes' books/stories by other authors but they tend to be rubbish.

5 hours ago, DUNKS said:

The Patrick Obrien collection. Just about to read the whole series "16 books" for the fourth time. Best sea going books ever written.

I've re-read most of mine a few times too, particularly the earlier ones.

Although in a different style, the other historical series I I regularly revisit is the Flashman collection.

5 hours ago, yates said:

Not so much as an avid reader these days but Ian Rankin novels are still on my list. Still the scariest book that I ever read, even though I first read it over 45 years ago is George Orwell’s 1984

I've read all rebus books and some of his fox character stories. I have a signed copy that the wife bought me, it's his first published work but I can't get into it. Very slow 

I have read The long ships by Frans G Bengtsson more times than I can remember.

I can always read Lord of the rings, The Hobbit, the Dune series (both the original books by Frank Herbert and the additional ones by his son), the Narnia series and Magician series (Raymond E Feist) again.

/Markus

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

I have read The long ships by Frans G Bengtsson more times than I can remember.

I can always read Lord of the rings, The Hobbit, the Dune series (both the original books by Frank Herbert and the additional ones by his son), the Narnia series and Magician series (Raymond E Feist) again.

/Markus

I could never settle into reading Tolkien. I always gave up, more to do with me rather than the author 

Arthur Mee's Encyclopedias.... I had a the full ten books for a birthday present back in the early 50's and I know it was one of the first times when the purchaser could pay so much a month.

I read and read those encyclopedias over and over again, used them both for my homework (made a mistake of copying a couple of sentences from one, but my English teach spotted it , knowing I could not produce such at the time) and also for solving family arguments over various things.  Wish I still had them now.

Non work books - Heart of darkness and The gun punt adventure. I asked Colin Willock if he would sign it for me which he did and also sent a lovely letter and photo of it.

As a kid I read the print off my Mr. Crabtree book and got a 50 year reprint one Christmas which was lovely.

7 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Vintage Stuff by Tom Sharpe.

Riotous Assembly and it's follow on (can't remember the title). All of Tom Sharpe's stuff is excellent. I particularly enjoyed the Throwback, with Lockheart Flaws.

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Fowler's Moon

👍🏻

I’ve read ‘Border Reflections’ by Lord Home of the Hirsel ten times at least. I greatly admired the man. I’ve also read ‘A shooting man’s Creed’ by Sir Joseph Nickerson a similar number of times. Nickerson was a supercilious man and difficult to like but he was very knowledgeable about shooting and quarry species.

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

I’ve read ‘Border Reflections’ by Lord Home of the Hirsel ten times at least. I greatly admired the man. I’ve also read ‘A shooting man’s Creed’ by Sir Joseph Nickerson a similar number of times. Nickerson was a supercilious man and difficult to like but he was very knowledgeable about shooting and quarry species.

I remember reading Border Reflections at my paternal grandfathers, as a child.

12 hours ago, DUNKS said:

The Patrick Obrien collection. Just about to read the whole series "16 books" for the fourth time. Best sea going books ever written.

It might have been a typo on your part but there are 20 actually, well 21 if you count the unfinished one at the end. 

I have read all 21 at least five times in the last 10 years, they are truly remarkable and somewhat life-changing, in that I find it harder to read any historical fiction now as none of it is as good as POB. 

If you like Sharpe or Hornblower these are a must, IMO.