Most reread book in your collection

washerboy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, washerboy said:

I've read all rebus books and some of his fox character stories. I have a signed copy that the wife bought me, it's his first published work but I can't get into it. Very slow 

I've red a few Rebus books, great characters but yes can be slow. 

4 hours ago, yates said:

I could never settle into reading Tolkien. I always gave up, more to do with me rather than the author 

I read the LOTR books, once was enough,  some chapters were amazing others torture. 

Negley Farson , The Way of a Transgressor.  An amazing auto biography taking the reader into Russia in WW1 , across Europe and into the wilds of Vancouver Island where he and his wife lived for  two years on a houseboat. Journalist failed  salesman for trucks, severely injured in an early plain crash and most important an avid angler Negley 's exploits were stupendous.

Blackpowder

16 hours ago, washerboy said:

I'm an avid book reader and have been since a child, my wife thinks it's odd that I can enjoy reading a book several times in say a 2 year period. 

Just wondered do others reread books. 

My all time read or over read book is To kill a mockingbird, followed closely by Rebecca. 

The Perfume Garden.  🤨

The Old Man and the Boy, by Robert Ruark. An absolute must for those of us with children and grandchildren who enjoy the outdoors, hunting, fishing and conservation as a part of the above. I was lucky enough to grow up on a farm in South Africa (although this book is set in the US). Grandfather taught us about hunting, guns, conservation long before it became fashionable and I did the same with my children. Though i often reread all of Ruark's books, this one is my dearest companion, especially when I miss my family and Africa.

I

The Sherlock Holmes series of book By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the short stories in particular, though I do re-read the novels every few years.  I am currently listening to Stephen Fry's narration of the books and I would highly recommend them.

I have read a number of other 'Holmes' books/stories by other authors but they tend to be rubbish.

Agree on all counts - except the Fry, which I have not come across.  I have the BBC radio series ones for 'audiobooks'.

In the same genre, I also like Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers

Trustee from the toolroom by Nevil Shute Norway.

His autobiography called "Slide Rule" is also a good read.

Edited by JohnfromUK

My copy of 'Goose Fever" is falling apart and only secured with cellotape. Got it when I was 10 so has had over 30 years of reading.I also have some very well thumbed copies of all of Jim Corbetts books.

I read every day so have been through as good few books more than once.Really enjoyed most of Bill Bryson's for a humourous take on life.Have read Stephen King's IT over a dozen times and Shadow over Babylon something similar.It is not so well known but is a decent story of a Scottish stalker being hired by the government to take out Saddam Hussein. Not all believable but entertaining all the same.

I rarely re-read a book, I am an avid reader of history and politics but I will never get through my wish list.

My OH re-reads lots of books and re-watches DVDs over and over. Several she must have read ten times.

My niece, an Oxford Masters Graduate in Literature reads a book every two or three days but can recall minute detail of books she read years ago

If I ever find the time I would re-read Orwell, hugely perceptive author.

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

The only book I have read more than once is Kenzie The Wildgoose Man by Colin Willock , it takes me back to a time when I knew one or two blokes who were very similar , although none of them got put inside , maybe by more luck than judgement 

My grandfather is the man with the swans,he told a very different tale to Kenzie,he always claimed Kenzie dropped him in it😁

My grandfather is the man with the swans,he told a very different tale to Kenzie,he always claimed Kenzie dropped him in it😁

We will never know how much is fact or fiction in the book , some say he got on with the other guides and then you hear about the ones who were guiding in the area couldn't stand him , so you believe what you want to believe .

I would imagine at the time it was very competitive and one or two of the locals down here went up to the wash for guided flight , it was then classed as the mecca of wild fowling and yet I can't remember anybody bringing back much , or anything at all come to that , in fact in the 60s we had up to 5000 Whitefronts using the Acle  marshes that were mainly in private hands and got shot very lightly so they would have been better off staying here .:good:

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I rarely re-read a book, I am an avid reader of history and politics but I will never get through my wish list.

Re-reading books stems from a different desire from learning. Mostly, I think, it's about being comforted, like an adult version of a child's favourite soft toy. For me, anyway, there are titles that are like old friends and when life is cack I'll take refuge in them. PG Wodehouse is my gold standard in that regard.