Horny Pup

sam triple

Hi ,need an answer to my pups horny behavior , hes only 3.5 months old and wants to hump everything last night he did a 10foot humping session on his bedding right across the lounge floor , arms , legs or anything he wants to try it on with ,keep hearing from daughter " dad Jakes doing the willy dance again " his lip stick seems to be permantly out ,is this normal ? really  don't want him put under the knife unless it becomes behavial problem later on ,cheers

That does sound a bit obsessive. My spaniel went through a phase at a year old but it did not last long, just a few weeks and I used distraction to stop him. You do not say what breed it is but with my spaniel it is easy for it to get obsessed with things so I am careful with unwanted behaviour to break it early.

We taught ours to play a game called 'drug dog' . We say bathroom and he goes into the room and we close the door and hide something. Let him out and he goes up and down looking for it. Great fun to start with but after a few go's he would not stop wanting to do it. 

Mine would do it to his bed as a little pup, however just like biting or nipping I wouldn't hesitate to tell him off when doing wrong. If he gave his bed a little hump I'd leave him to it but if he was having a crack at something else I'd tell him off in a stern voice. 

• 3 weeks later...