First signs of spring.

JDog

We can’t have had more than half a dozen ground frosts here on top of the Wolds this winter. Contrast this to two years ago when we had already had several lots of snow. The ‘beast from the east’ wasn’t far away.

The Hellebores and Eranthis hyemalis are fully out, as are some leaves on the Lonicera and the usual harbingers of spring the snowdrops have been out for a week or so. In the past few days I have heard a Song thrush, a Chaffinch and a Wren and last evening my wife and I saw a Pipistrelle bat. Cock pheasants are growing their ‘ears’ and fighting and some Pinkfeet are flying north (though maybe only as far as the Humber estuary).

On Tuesday I watched a farmer friend drilling wheat (I hoped it would be beans), and ground is being prepared for more planting.

All of this in January. Not for one minute do I attribute any of this to ‘global warming’.

No winter weather in the west country  so far either, we had snowdrops out before xmas, witnessed a pair of woodies mating last week (although they have been recorded to breed all year round), the herons have started to return to the Heronry (late Jan/Feb is normal though).........and the lawn hasn't stopped growing either.

I was on the marsh last week, called skein of hundreds of pink feet in from high up, took them an age to decent. Landed in a field too far from me with some greylags. They were heading north.

We very rarely get them on the ground here, usually pass over us very high calling as they go.

That triangular one is nice OF. Wife commented on snowdrops out here last week when we were walking the dogs.

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I was on the marsh last week, called skein of hundreds of pink feet in from high up, took them an age to decent. Landed in a field too far from me with some greylags. They were heading north.

We very rarely get them on the ground here, usually pass over us very high calling as they go.

That triangular one is nice OF. Wife commented on snowdrops out here last week when we were walking the dogs.

It’s called lady Beatrix Stanley 

couple more for you 
this one is called grumpy one of the 3mark group 

the bottom one is trym one of the green tip group 

34DA96CB-7532-4211-B44A-8AB6043DFA86.jpeg

765741F9-BA02-42F6-9B56-9F1D7A9F85D3.jpeg 

Edited by Old farrier

Farmers busy drilling wheat here too. I have seen this before in January though only for the ground to become frozen and covered in snow in February resulting in poor or no germination.

Can't blame them for trying though, the seed has been sat in the store since Autumn.

1 hour ago, twenty said:

No winter weather in the west country  so far either, we had snowdrops out before xmas, witnessed a pair of woodies mating last week (although they have been recorded to breed all year round), the herons have started to return to the Heronry (late Jan/Feb is normal though).........and the lawn hasn't stopped growing either.

Down here in East Devon we've just had 5 mornings of white grass on the trot and I simply can't remember the last time that that happened. Didn't do the daff's much good.

Been a few frozen mornings in Lancs/ Cumbria but this last week has certainly been warmer.

Had a ladybird in the caravan last week, a mozzie in the kitchen at home.

Squirrels are busy chasing each other,  blackbirds are staking territory's,  winter hasn't arrived yet.