Sign in to follow this  
northstar

Everlasting clay pigeons !

As anyone seen these before made by Newboult & thorp everlasting clay pigeons with 10 in a box.

Any information as to age etc would be welcome.

image.jpeg

Maybe someone whacked one with an old Winchester trap load through a bit of choke and they weren't so everlasting 😂

Agreed, nice find, they'd look nice in the man cave.

Given how chippy most of my breaks are those edges would be FUBAR in no time. 

😂

I remember these way back in the 70s, don't know if the same maker.  They not only PING but also wobble when hit. They where good fun.  Never could train my lab to retrieve them though.

4 hours ago, Lord v said:

Given how chippy most of my breaks are those edges would be FUBAR in no time. 

😂

The ones I shot at would be able to be put back in the box and re sold as new

We had one around 1960, cast aluminium, but the same profile as a normal clay target, not the rounded shape shown in the OP's photo.   Gave quite a piercing sound when hit, and I don't recall any signs of damage from the shot (fairly soft lead in those days).    Very good exercise for me, because dad did most of the shooting, while I launched the target from a "Bisley" hand flinger and then ran to pick it up afterwards.    There would have been less running if we had had a box of ten, but I think those targets were fairly expensive in their day.

Something I was once told about, but have never seen, was a target moulded from very hard black rubber.   I believe the idea was that you might slip a few of these into the trap as a joke, so that a conceited shooter might be cut down to size when a lot of targets flew on unscathed.

Thanks for all your comments.

Would be great to find a advert from a old shooting magazine or someone from a gunshop who remembers selling them, please ask around !

Edited by northstar

Newboult & Thorp were based in Retford Notts and made a range of clay traps etc.

As all of the above, we had some in the early 1970's. I do not recall if they 'pinged' as advertised, I could not hit them to find out. Fired them from an old Eley 'Plus' trap.

Imagine them in sunlight, you'd never see it to hit it.

Great price of clay sports history.