Everlasting clay pigeons !

northstar

We had one around 1960, cast aluminium, but the same profile as a normal clay target, not the rounded shape shown in the OP's photo.   Gave quite a piercing sound when hit, and I don't recall any signs of damage from the shot (fairly soft lead in those days).    Very good exercise for me, because dad did most of the shooting, while I launched the target from a "Bisley" hand flinger and then ran to pick it up afterwards.    There would have been less running if we had had a box of ten, but I think those targets were fairly expensive in their day.

Something I was once told about, but have never seen, was a target moulded from very hard black rubber.   I believe the idea was that you might slip a few of these into the trap as a joke, so that a conceited shooter might be cut down to size when a lot of targets flew on unscathed.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Here we go again!   

Unless you have got good hearing I couldn't really see the point of having a clay that ring or ping when hit and then got to search about the marsh to find the clay after you had hit it , or in my case missing it after a lengthy inquiry as I swore blind I could hear it yell out after a Yellow Wizard was chasing it:lol:

This would have been around the time we shot at drink cans fired from a dummy launcher , these were good fun as you could see if you had hit the can , trouble is , drinking all that ole Coke just to get the empty can didn't do you or your pocket a lot of good .

Another total waste of time around that period was watching a Eley tracer cartridge fired at a clay to see where you were missing , did they ever improve anyone's shooting ? , I very , very much doubt it 

Carry on Dave , my rant is over .......... for today that is :drinks:

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

This would have been around the time we shot at drink cans fired from a dummy launcher , these were good fun as you could see if you had hit the can , trouble is , drinking all that ole Coke just to get the empty can didn't do you or your pocket a lot of good .

Skol lager for me. You could just about get two uses from a can when it'd been hit as that second launching would crumple an already hit can. From my memory when the bases of drinks cans changed their shape the era of the Webley can launcher was done.

5 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Skol lager for me. You could just about get two uses from a can when it'd been hit as that second launching would crumple an already hit can. From my memory when the bases of drinks cans changed their shape the era of the Webley can launcher was done.

Not sure if you could use the can launcher for gun dog dummies as well , or visa versa .:hmm: