Buying car batteries on line

harrycatcat1

Just a reminder not to because if it develops a fault you can't return it with a parcel company as it is a "prohibited item"

I made this mistake of buying a battery on line as it seemed like a good deal until it died after 4 months and the 4 year warranty is not worth the paper it's written on unless you take it back yourself. In my case it was over 100 miles away.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Postage-Payments/how-to-parcel-post-a-car-battery/qaq-p/1642053

I know a lot will know all this, so it's just for those that didn't know.

Ebay didn't want to know

Paypal said it's a warranty issue 

I had to resort to the credit card company to sort it out but it's all hassle, just buy one from your local shop.

6 minutes ago, snow white said:

Well why buy online any way there had to be some where close to to buy one.

Convenience?  Better things to do than fight traffic?

Anyway, if you have a Costco near by and have a card, they do reasonably competitive prices on Bosch batteries.  Seem to be a decent brand.  Also you can look up the fitment online

Hi

I used Tayner batteries tail end last year, and Battery Megastore previous to that.

The problem arises if the battery fails within warranty period, as a local check of battery (garage or otherwise) has to be sent, before any warranty replacement can occur - one of 2 batteries from them required) and the delay in between.

Sure the prices are good on-line but need to factor in over the usually small difference for an immediate local replacement.

Perhaps pay a bit more and just have local if necessary.............

L

Edited by Loki

2 hours ago, snow white said:

Cheaper online if you had not used your credit card to pay for it don’t think it would have been cheaper.

And you can take it back if it packs up I buy a lot online but somethings I would not and a motor battery is one of them.

That is the point of my post to warn people that didn't know.

19 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Surprised on line are much cheaper than the motor factors? I am in the motor trade so don't pay retail but still amazed with shipping it's cheaper 

Well, I have a theory, the batteries may not be what's written on the side, I have no evidence that they could be made in China but they give a 4 year warranty knowing that you can't return it with a parcel company. 

Edited to say have a look on fleebay at the prices.

Edited by harrycatcat1

Battery went on XC90 day after the farce that is Black Friday

spookily got a pop up from Europarts.....Black Friday Special ALL BATTERIES LESS 35%!....ooooh thought I let's have a look.   Seemed a tad expensive to be.  So I hung fire until Monday and rang a local Motor Factors {BBC}

yes we have a Yuasa one ( I will,only use Yuasa on Alarm and control panels ). Oh goody thought I. How much?

£86 with 4 year warranty and we can drop one off for you in 20 minutes as we are passing that way!     This worked out at half of the discounted price at Europarts so I was quite happy