Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, mick miller said:

First case in the UK, currently in Woolwich hospital, arrived from China yesterday. You heard it here first. 

It’s just like Ebola, they let the idiots go out to these places, then fly back in when sick. 

Remember that nurse who flew out so she could tell everyone she was fighting Ebola, the second she showed symptoms she flew back to the U.K. expecting NHS first class treatment. 

Didn’t stay in the country she’d chosen to go to. 🙄

46 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s just like Ebola, they let the idiots go out to these places,

Wuhan is a city that's bigger than greater  London and most of what you own will have been manufactured in 'these places'.

Anyway to make you feel better, I've just been chatting with my mate who's stuck in Wuhan with his family (he's a teacher at an international school) and while the French, the Americans, and the Australians are already sending planes, and the Japanese and the Sri Lankans and Indonesians are in daily  contract with their citizens keeping them updated with ongoing plans, the British 'idiots' on his campus are left in the dark. They are 'on a list' but no plans for evacuation have been formulated nor are they kept informed.

But hey, it serves him right for working overseas, right?

I don't think there's a problem with people working overseas, although flying people out of an infection zone that has been put into lock down does seem somewhat counter intuitive unless there's quarantine arrangements in place at the other end. 

In a previous life I worked all over the world, including parts of Asia. The only countries I refused to go and work in were those in the UEA, Saudi, Qatar etc. as I refused to support misogynist, homophobic or barbaric regimes that still keep some people (usually poor workers from South East Asia) in virtual slavery. But, that's a personal choice. 

Edited by mick miller

6 hours ago, mick miller said:

I don't think there's a problem with people working overseas, although flying people out of an infection zone that has been put into lock down does seem somewhat counter intuitive unless there's quarantine arrangements in place at the other end. 

In a previous life I worked all over the world, including parts of Asia. The only countries I refused to go and work in were those in the UEA, Saudi, Qatar etc. as I refused to support misogynist, homophobic or barbaric regimes that still keep some people (usually poor workers from South East Asia) in virtual slavery. But, that's a personal choice. 

hello, i read they are building 2 new hospitals and drafted in 1000s of medical staff ?

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s just like Ebola, they let the idiots go out to these places, then fly back in when sick. 

Remember that nurse who flew out so she could tell everyone she was fighting Ebola, the second she showed symptoms she flew back to the U.K. expecting NHS first class treatment. 

Didn’t stay in the country she’d chosen to go to. 🙄

I agree, they should not let people go out to countries where there’s the possibility of bringing a deadly virus home, putting NHS staff and the wider public at risk.

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Nothing in the news, how did you find out/know?

Friend works there as a nurse, got the text last night, complete with a photo of them looking nervous kitted out in full hazmat. Doubt you'd here anything here either until it's 100% confirmed, or more likely, kept quiet to avoid panic until they can trace anyone else.

Update: sent home for home quarantine as not sick enough yet. 

Edited by mick miller

15 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Wuhan is a city that's bigger than greater  London and most of what you own will have been manufactured in 'these places'.

Anyway to make you feel better, I've just been chatting with my mate who's stuck in Wuhan with his family (he's a teacher at an international school) and while the French, the Americans, and the Australians are already sending planes, and the Japanese and the Sri Lankans and Indonesians are in daily  contract with their citizens keeping them updated with ongoing plans, the British 'idiots' on his campus are left in the dark. They are 'on a list' but no plans for evacuation have been formulated nor are they kept informed.

But hey, it serves him right for working overseas, right?

What do they want the U.K. Government to do? Send them a pack of Lemsip or something? Swoop in and save the day?

It's a Virus they aren't political prisoners to the Chinese Government. 

Part of working /being abroad is the risk of disease, infection but also not having U.K. Government facilities to support, such as the NHS etc. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

Part of working /being abroad is the risk of disease, infection but also not having U.K. Government facilities to support, such as the NHS etc. 

This /\

Anyone thinking of working overseas does a sort of personal 'risk/benefit' valuation where one weighs up the advantages - and disadvantages.  Being far from our valued NHS and having possibly less good (or possibly better) health care is one of the things that enters that process.  Bringing plane loads of people out of an infected area has risks - do they all go in quarantine?  If one person has the virus when boarding the plane - what are the risks of many catching it during the flight? 

The whole thing (even assuming the Chinese allow it) needs a lot of thought and planning.

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

This /\

Anyone thinking of working overseas does a sort of personal 'risk/benefit' valuation where one weighs up the advantages - and disadvantages.  Being far from our valued NHS and having possibly less good (or possibly better) health care is one of the things that enters that process.  Bringing plane loads of people out of an infected area has risks - do they all go in quarantine?  If one person has the virus when boarding the plane - what are the risks of many catching it during the flight? 

The whole thing (even assuming the Chinese allow it) needs a lot of thought and planning.

Exactly, they are happy to go out there for the big money, but want the U.K. tax payer to come save them when it goes wrong, whilst probably not paying any U.K. taxes as well! 

The advice is now to 'self quarantine'. I can see that working, the British tend to think all advice applies to someone else with most things. Plus, if you are going to 'self quarantine' better get some supplies in first, maybe nappies from Boots for the kids, then nip to Tesco, although the bread at Aldi is slightly cheaper so pop there too etc.

You couldn't make it up.

EDIT: I've just heard the government has robust measures in place to deal with any outbreak. These include; running along, staying inside, drinking tea and avoiding ordering any deliveries from Just Eat or Amazon. Thank you.

Edited by mick miller

54 minutes ago, henry d said:

No, please feel free to dive in with a good ole theory, just try to keep it away from bats, rodents, snakes and broad generalisations!

How about the newest social media conspiracy amongst the loons.

It's not a virus at all, its 5G that is killing everyone. I'm not joking this is being spouted on social media. Apparently Wuhan is a 5G city, so it must be 5G responsible. :hmm:

Studio_20200129_085920.jpg.fa37f00b7d593f8499d06ce8e8d577b5.jpg

Edited by Newbie to this