Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

In the big scheme of things, this virus presents a potentially fantastic opportunity to improve the economy of the UK, namely through:

• A significant reduction in the medium to long term burden on the NHS
  • A huge reduction in the annual pension bill nationally
  • Paving the way for a second referendum and rejoining the EU

Every cloud and all that 😛 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

There have been 9 confirmed cases to date in the UK (apparently).  8 have now been discharged, and (as of tonight) one remains in hospital.  As yet no one has died. 

How many of these cases had any kind of symptoms at all - or were they identified by targeted testing?  If Covid-19 has the same pattern as ordinary flu it would seem from research that infections are symptomless in the majority of people, and normally wouldn't show up as 'cases' at all. https://www.nhs.uk/news/medical-practice/three-quarters-of-people-with-flu-have-no-symptoms/

In any event, I don't believe the Chinese figures. Under normal circumstances a city of 11 million like Wuhan would expect 250 or so daily deaths from all causes. And yesterday there were apparently only 142 deaths from this disease in the whole of China - so just a blip on the stats really. 

So why the crisis? I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist bu there's something that's not being revealed here.

They should stop eating bats, dogs, live baby mice dipped in soya sauce, its no wonder animal viruses are jumping from animals to humans with some of the stuff they eat and the hygiene in some of these back street markets leaves a lot to be desired.

This corona virus is bad but I think at some point the big one will come out of China and be so fast acting and deadly we will wonder what’s hit us, bit like Myxomatosis in rabbits.  

why has there been no report of the virus in Africa.................there is a constant big contingant of chinese in africa !!!

the Africans are hit very hard by the common cold ...so this virus would be a lot worse

no reports at all..............................

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

why has there been no report of the virus in Africa.................there is a constant big contingant of chinese in africa !!!

the Africans are hit very hard by the common cold ...so this virus would be a lot worse

no reports at all..............................

Your right, W.H.O. have advised that Africa [poorer health generally] would suffer the most if the virus takes hold

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, did you notice the coach drivers taking those from the ship moored in Japan were in suites and masks, not so the english coaches with those who came back via Brize Norton

I wonder what will be the effect on world cruisers now

14 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Your right, W.H.O. have advised that Africa [poorer health generally] would suffer the most if the virus takes hold

I wonder what will be the effect on world cruisers now

hello, i think it will effect more than just cruises, many UK companies do business in China and other countries that have this coronavirus, China will loose so much in monetary terms with 1000s less visa costs to gain entry,  last time i went it was well over £100

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

7 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Italy now has 50,000 in quarantine.  Stuffs getting real I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51602007

RS

Venice/Italy is a popular holiday destination, wonder how that’s going to work with the holiday period just a few weeks away? The way its going the whole of Europe will be in lock-down.

14 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

From twitter. But this is an old animation that stops at 43,000 cases. It'll be 80,000 by tomorrow. I think the cat is out of the bag.

The other thing is that the numbers are almost certainly gross underestimates. 

Here's some more charts from which I took the above picture..https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51235105

Daughter up from Bedford this weekend for Birthday.  She is a vet.  They have no surgical face masks and cannot get any in.  Operations are now often "mask-free".

Don't worry though, "it's just the flu".  Still saying this on the Radio and TV.

A few extra rations in the house would not go amiss at this point folks; Extra toilet rolls, water and a filter system may not be a bad investment too now.

It's not the actual Covid-19 that will get you, but the fact that you cannot leave your own home for two weeks or more, on pain of death apparently: "Police, and if necessary the armed forces, will have the authority to ensure the regulations are enforced. " from the BBC story on Italy posted above.

RS

Edited by RockySpears
grammar

6 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

It's not the actual Covid-19 that will get you, but the fact that you cannot leave your own home for two weeks or more,

That will be nothing more than a minor inconvenience - in any case - at present there is nothing like that in the UK.

8 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

water and a filter system may not be a bad investment too now.

A water filter will not remove viruses.

8 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

"Police, and if necessary the armed forces, will have the authority to ensure the regulations are enforced. "

It is right that quarantine is enforces correctly - or it is a waste of time.

Putting this in perspective - FAR FAR more people die from flu than this virus.  Flu kills 646,000 people every year.

From 2015

https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985  "A SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronaviruses shows potential for human emergence"

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/lab-made-coronavirus-triggers-debate-34502  NIH Director Francis Collins said “These studies, however, also entail biosafety and biosecurity risks, which need to be understood better.” .....“If the [new] virus escaped, nobody could predict the trajectory,” Simon Wain-Hobson, a virologist at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, told Nature.

Well perhaps we're going to find out.

Edited by Retsdon

It’s ok for u lot- I’m night stopping in Venice on Wednesday ........

Then again, been ferrying all nationalities for last few months anyway 🙂

We actually have a daily risk assessment/Health Department bulletin which lets us know the current situation as it pertains to us. So far so good 👍

13 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

It’s ok for u lot- I’m night stopping in Venice on Wednesday ........

Then again, been ferrying all nationalities for last few months anyway 🙂

We actually have a daily risk assessment/Health Department bulletin which lets us know the current situation as it pertains to us. So far so good 👍

you are going to die.............:w00t:

I live in Tuscany. No virus here yet, just in the north of Italy. But on Friday morning we had 2 cases in the whole of Italy, both in hospital. Now on Sunday night it is 157. We had the strictest controls in the EU and were the first to block flights from China. Yet it exploded like a bomb in 2 days. So I dont think any country should be complacent!

Luckily I was careful enough to buy masks, gloves and antiseptic soap in the beginning of January when I saw it beginning to spread. And we stocked up on groceries, tp, water and what have you end January. There are no masks or soap available anywhere. Schools, offices, bars, sportsmeetings in the north have been closed and stopped. They even stopped football games...that didn't even happen in WW2!

But stupidly, people are still congregating in the other parts of Italy. I can understand going to a supermarket, but going in droves to a certre that only sells clothes? And then they are surprised when it spreads? In many totally unnecessary cases we bring this upon ourselves.

9 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Isn’t everyone at some stage? 
But I know ur going to miss me if I do ❤️❤️

if you snogged fat sarah you would get more virus's off her than corvid -19.............

speaking of which the last time we saw her she was in Lingwood seen climbing into a back of an old transit van with a group of Mongolian throat singers.............her boyfrined jack the Gripper is bereft.....................

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

if you snogged fat sarah you would get more virus's off her than corvid -19.............

speaking of which the last time we saw her she was in Lingwood seen climbing into a back of an old transit van with a group of Mongolian throat singers.............her boyfrined jack the Gripper is bereft.....................

:lol::lol::lol::yahoo::lol:   Oh it is great to have you back mate.

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

A water filter will not remove viruses.

Really?

The Black Berkey Filter and Virus Removal

https://www.berkeywaterfilterseurope.com/help/lab-tests/virus-removal

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

FAR FAR more people die from flu than this virus.  Flu kills 646,000 people every year

OK, "It's just the flu".

So China closed down , for the flu.

Italy Closes Lombardy, for the flu.

Austria want to close Italian border, for the flu.

Yeah, it's just the flu,

RS

15 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Really?

https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advice/general-travel-health-advice/water-purification

General wisdom appears to be that water filters cannot reliably remove viruses.

16 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Yeah, it's just the flu,

No one suggested it was 'just the flu'.  It remains a fact that FAR FAR more succumb to flu than this coronavirus.  To date 79,640 cases of corona virus with 2625 deaths.

Flu is estimated to have about 1,000,000,000 cases per year (one billion) with between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths.  https://www.ifpma.org/global-health-matters/flu-can-cause-up-to-650000-deaths-a-year-globally/

So far in the UK you are more likely to have won the lottery than died from corona virus.  I don't claim it isn't an increasing risk, but currently it is a very very low risk in the UK, and all countries are being sensible in trying to decrease the spread.