Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

Look on the bright side with all the old shooters gone, think of all the possible pigeon shooting permissions that will be vacant for the younger shooters ( every cloud has a silver lining) 😂

As long as they don't leave every thing to WJ in their will just to p you off!

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Im becoming increasingly concerned with the statistic that 2% die.. if half our population get it, that;s 7 million dead  [i think] thats a lot of hospital corridors full of very ill patients and a lot of crematoriums working round the clock...:sad1: 

Isn't it 650,000

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

That is way too simplistic an argument, in terms of the value add in the supply chain there will be massive hurt to the likes of say Apple who make way more money out of the iPhone than the associated profits of manufacturing the thing. 

The same applies to everyone where China is a component in the supply chain, the upstream profits will see greater damage than the relatively low margins associated with manufacture.

Like I say, it's a theoretical argument. 

But if say it was the US government, do you think they would be bothered about upsetting some companies supply chains, even big US ones like Apple, if it scored you a massive economic wound to China? 

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Like I say, it's a theoretical argument. 

But if say it was the US government, do you think they would be bothered about upsetting some companies supply chains, even big US ones like Apple, if it scored you a massive economic wound to China? 

It is a theoretical argument, but a fun one and no hurt to explore each side of any argument.  Most everything else on the thread is conjecture so why not indulge 😝

To answer your question, yes I do think that the level of hurt would be more significant on Uncle Sam than Uncle Chang.

There is now some evidence that China is containing the virus with a diminishing number of reported cases per day (setting aside doubts about reporting accuracy).  Given that China has zero respect for human rights and no emotional quotient at all and can effectively lock people into their houses, they can take a very totalitarian approach to managing people.

The good old US of A have a populace that are much more likely to revolt, are far less subservient and have way higher level of personal debt so much less likely to want to voluntarily stay home so there is less state control.

If i were to be as soft headed as to believe there is a global level conspiracy I would say that if you’re China you inoculate the genuine economic contributors in Hunan province, let the weak and non contributive catch your engineered bug , make a show of trying to lock everything down and accept collateral damage of a few thousand wasters whilst absolutely screwing the supply chains of the west.  As the west wrestle their conscience on human rights and trying to sustain their highly mobile economic model while the virus spreads unconstrained amidst a media hysteria the Chinese re-solidify and take a position higher up the supply chain.

With a population of 1.2bn of mostly non contributive warm bodies they have an awful lot of fat they can shed and ease their budget on social responsibility.  The west just do not have that option.  We have 1 person who dies in unfavourable circumstance relative to social welfare and the press goes mental.  The Chinese shed squad loads and not even the faintest of hoots.

EDIT: Just for fun, indulge your inner megalomaniacal strategy and lets see where this could go.......I’ll be the mad commie, cat stroking/eating fiend and you can be Uncle Sam’s evil twin :D

Edited by grrclark

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

As far as i know no one has died of eating a light salad

This may be sarcasm, but salads are even more deadly: 

"Some of the largest food safety issues that have popped up in the last few years have been things like baby spinach and tomatoes,"

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/the-foods-most-likely-to-give-you-food-poisoning/news-story/ff49cfe23a57d05b839ea6cc97800844

RS

3 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

This may be sarcasm, but salads are even more deadly: 

"Some of the largest food safety issues that have popped up in the last few years have been things like baby spinach and tomatoes,"

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/the-foods-most-likely-to-give-you-food-poisoning/news-story/ff49cfe23a57d05b839ea6cc97800844

RS

Cant argue with the facts, however have baby spinach and tomatoes ever been linked to a pandemic..😉

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

As far as i know no one has died of eating a light salad

Bagged plastic light salads have killed a fair few, mostly as a result of putting stuff in plastic bags because soft headed wallopers don't like to rinse a lettuce that a caterpillar may have fantasised over at 100 yards.

I can controversially state that in my opinion people who are dispatched by a bagged lettuce because they are too lazy or stupid to run a tap are no loss to the gene pool, but i accept that is not necessarily the opinion of all.

If i were in your location i would be bottling some abundant seaweed essence in a soapy bottle and advancing that as a natural preventative to the covid-19 lurgy and absolutely coin it in with the tourists to come!!  Call me a capitalist exploitative schemer if you please.

13 hours ago, grrclark said:

Bagged plastic light salads have killed a fair few, mostly as a result of putting stuff in plastic bags because soft headed wallopers don't like to rinse a lettuce that a caterpillar may have fantasised over at 100 yards.

I can controversially state that in my opinion people who are dispatched by a bagged lettuce because they are too lazy or stupid to run a tap are no loss to the gene pool, but i accept that is not necessarily the opinion of all.

If i were in your location i would be bottling some abundant seaweed essence in a soapy bottle and advancing that as a natural preventative to the covid-19 lurgy and absolutely coin it in with the tourists to come!!  Call me a capitalist exploitative schemer if you please.

I have been negotiating with the crown estate for several months re the start of a seaweed farm, should be up and running this summer. doubtful about the antidote to the chinese virus, but it is remarkable stuff

15 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I have been negotiating with the crown estate for several months re the start of a seaweed farm, should be up and running this summer. doubtful about the antidote to the chinese virus, but it is remarkable stuff

hello, i can see your a man of many talents, that should make interesting reading on PW, good luck

29 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Is that for edible seaweed or fertilizer? Or both?

24 minutes ago, islandgun said:

The start of a seaweed farm definitely needs more explanation :)

I’m in no doubt that it wouldn’t cure or protect against the virus either, but if you were so inclined to suggest that it would (I know you’re not) then folk would buy it by the bucket load.

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i can see your a man of many talents, that should make interesting reading on PW, good luck

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Is that for edible seaweed or fertilizer? Or both?

3 hours ago, grrclark said:

The start of a seaweed farm definitely needs more explanation :)

I’m in no doubt that it wouldn’t cure or protect against the virus either, but if you were so inclined to suggest that it would (I know you’re not) then folk would buy it by the bucket load.

Thanks for your interest folks. Subject to further planning  I have been approved the lease of an area of the sea bed, to grow mainly Sugar Kelp,  it is my intention to anchor heavy lines at various depths to see what colonisers the ropes..hopefully I should be able to post further information on here once i get started..😉 

10 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Thanks for your interest folks. Subject to further planning  I have been approved the lease of an area of the sea bed, to grow mainly Sugar Kelp,  it is my intention to anchor heavy lines at various depths to see what colonisers the ropes..hopefully I should be able to post further information on here once i get started..😉 

hello, sounds interesting keep us posted, cheers

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Just been reading up on kelp farming, very interesting, its also good for the environment (Greta) ‘kelp consumes excess nitrogen and CO2 in the water and expresses O2, improving the water quality of the surrounding environment’

It grows pretty quick as well, after seeding the rope the seedlings grow to 15 feet in just a few months.

It will be Oysters£ next then Salmon£, will you still talk to us Steve££££?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Just been reading up on kelp farming, very interesting, its also good for the environment (Greta) ‘kelp consumes excess nitrogen and CO2 in the water and expresses O2, improving the water quality of the surrounding environment’

It grows pretty quick as well, after seeding the rope the seedlings grow to 15 feet in just a few months.

It will be Oysters£ next then Salmon£, will you still talk to us Steve££££?

No worries Dave Im a bit long in the tooth to get rich like the rest of you toffs,  seaweed is a long way from the very serious  OP  , so will leave it there and post later

7 minutes ago, islandgun said:

No worries Dave Im a bit long in the tooth to get rich like the rest of you toffs,  seaweed is a long way from the very serious  OP  , so will leave it there and post later

Yep, when you get going start a new thread, I am sure it will attract loads of interest. :good:

7 hours ago, grrclark said:

The start of a seaweed farm definitely needs more explanation

I'd like to know  what sort of dog you need to round it up?

One of these perhaps?

Image result for australian kelpie images