Wild chicken shoots

Dave-G

Call me naive, but with wild fowl such as pheasant and goose etc not being very popular for general consumption, why aren't chickens used instead? 

I'm guessing there'd be more risk of poaching them but maybe if there were a lot more used, or maybe its because they don't fly well?

Enlighten me please.

Edited by Dave-G

Some types of chicken can and do fly, but they're not meat varietys.

Flying turkey's are popular in some places.

A rebranding of pheasants for consumption is what's needed, Chinese wild chickens will do for snowflakes and housewives. Like calling Squirrel tree rabbit on retraunt menus.

Lloyd to a dog flushing one pheasant and getting a good bit and pat on head is great but to the dog flushing them all is best and lots more fun 😋😂 all been there.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Surely the whole thread is a bit extreme.

I was thinking of considering a way that more of what is shot on shoot days can be eaten and get better thought of by those who disapprove of game shooting. Plus if the meat is better liked perhaps more people will take up shooting.

If you cannot read between the lines to even discuss a possible improved uptake of shot food consumption maybe you won't be commenting further.

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Some types of chicken can and do fly, but they're not meat varietys.

Flying turkey's are popular in some places.

A rebranding of pheasants for consumption is what's needed, Chinese wild chickens will do for snowflakes and housewives. Like calling Squirrel tree rabbit on retraunt menus.

Lloyd to a dog flushing one pheasant and getting a good bit and pat on head is great but to the dog flushing them all is best and lots more fun 😋😂 all been there.

Lot's of shoots now have game prep rooms on site. After shooting they are plucking/ skinning the birds, cleaning them up and placing them wrapped in trays like oven ready chickens.

I also have seen one woman collecting all the left over birds from several shoots in her area and turning them into microwave ready meals, such as lasagne, curries etc.

The shoots that have done this have no problem getting rid of their birds. BASC should be going around shoots telling them how to and helping them set up the facilities to be doing the same. Not only do we need to ensure they are all used, they need to get out there into the public domain. 

I remember father breaking our Bantam chicken wings to stop them flying away when I was a kid. However, if all the feeding that goes on wi pheasants were done for chicken maybe few would fly off?

I don't game shoot by the way which is why I'm asking instead of knowing it all.

Edited by Dave-G