Auto A5

royden

I have never been very clever with numbers and even though I have a list of Browning A5  serial numbers I still cant work out the age of my gun. Its a 12 bore with the safety behind the trigger which I think makes it a later model but the only serial numbers that come close (35651 to 40010)  would make it a 1925 16 bore. My question is are there any more numbers that would identify the year and is it possible that I have a bitsa that may have started life as a 16 bore. Thanks in advance.

Roy

20200123_213207.jpg

No will be 1960s at a guess(probably 61 looking at that) , 1925 would have had front of trigger safe, Look on browning site or search on shotgun world . Get more accurate dating info. If you read the details in the explanation i think it will become clearer to understand, reason i say this i think i struggled to date one a few years ago. Do a bit more research online. .

Hi bud,  got a few a5, s   always struggle to date them properly , must make a proper effort, got a 16 love it,      miss the speed loader which some of the 12,s have      don't think they ever did them on the 16 ,s ? Let me know if you get sorted ,you may of started something 😂

Thanks for the replies gents. Looking at this list would suggest that my gun dates from 1912 if you ignore the 61 that is smaller than the main serial number. I cant find records of serial numbers that are stamped like this .If it was made in 1961 somewhere in the number would be a letter ie. 1M for standard weight  1G for light weight and 1V for magnum guns. The safety is the button type behind the trigger and the bottom loading gate is the quick load type. Thanks for your suggestions and texting Browning seems to be a good idea.

Resized_20200124_145742_4602.jpeg

As said by landy george the first two numbers are the year of manufacture for guns sold to distributors outside the US - the 1G, 1V etc model codes were for guns sold to Browning in the US. The quick load feature only appeared after 1953 so 1961 would seem to be the year of manufacture.  

this book has all the info on the production of the Auto 5 if you're interested -

https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Auto-5-Shotguns-Belgian-Production/dp/0970799764

On 24/01/2020 at 15:43, royden said:

Thanks for the replies gents. Looking at this list would suggest that my gun dates from 1912 if you ignore the 61 that is smaller than the main serial number. I cant find records of serial numbers that are stamped like this .If it was made in 1961 somewhere in the number would be a letter ie. 1M for standard weight  1G for light weight and 1V for magnum guns. The safety is the button type behind the trigger and the bottom loading gate is the quick load type. Thanks for your suggestions and texting Browning seems to be a good idea.

Resized_20200124_145742_4602.jpeg

Wont be 1912 with the rear safetey catch. Go on shotgun world you will get a difinitive answer straight away. But like i said before and others have said, i think its 1961 that prefix is probably how its date coded at that time period. But rear safeteys did not come out until way latter than 1212 i am sure of that.

The 61 is  the year of manufacture , If the barrel has acier special on it with a prefix it is a world market gun and did not follow the browning usa serial number for pre 57 A5's

The prefix was added from 1957 , Mine is serial numbered in the 29000'ss with no prefix so it was made in 1908 and it is my most used gun.

Edited by Andy H

• 1 year later...

Recently acquired a 12 Gauge FN, BROWNING A5 barrel that has "ACIER STEEL" on the side and 18.3 -CHOKE on the bottom of the barrel. I have no idea how to determine WHAT the CHOKE is.

It measures at .6885 of an inch at the muzzle.

That is a lot smaller than a " choke" muzzle measurement that I think it would be.  I think it's a FULL CHOKE BARREL

HELP? !!!!!! PLEASE