Vegan food - the shame of it

AVB

Popped to my local cafe for lunch today. I have had a lot of meat over the last few days so fancied something less ‘meaty’. The only option was a vegan chicken nugget salad. Normally I avoid vegan food out of principle but I thought “why not”. It was delicious. Very delicious.  Surprisingly so  

Now I will be trying more but I am definitely  not going vegan. 

18 minutes ago, AVB said:

Popped to my local cafe for lunch today. I have had a lot of meat over the last few days so fancied something less ‘meaty’. The only option was a vegan chicken nugget salad. Normally I avoid vegan food out of principle but I thought “why not”. It was delicious. Very delicious.  Surprisingly so  

Here!

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

They could not of been that quorn carp is horrendous. A friend of ours has them at bbqs it is just like cardboard. Even she says there rubbish. Not for me lol

The quorn nuggets done in the oven and then put on a bed of rice and smothered in sweet and sour sauce or fab! I also tried a vegan burger in Wetherspoons the other day! Blooming marvellous! But then had fish and chips that evening and a full English the morning after. 

6 hours ago, AVB said:

Wife makes a lovely stew once a week ish to last over two days, second day is still great, veg is cut into decent size chunks.

We're not big meat eaters but she uses a little minced beef in it and its really enjoyable. Shop bought veg this time of year but home grown when we can in the lawn borders and containers.

her indoors bought some plant based burgers from lidl I think     as I am gluten intolerant  she thought I mite like them      I ate one and would have rather had a decent burger with bad guts for days  and a backside like a blood orange rather  than eat another   one in the belly others  in the bins    ( I have taste buds and was brought up to enjoy good food)  as well as live on it       however I do eat a lot of veg and fruit and many  meats  without  problems              anything processed is a problem           however  / tomato soup / cocky leaky soup/     home made veg soups  oxtail soup  and stews  curries  are all ok   shop bought  checking  labels all the time  saves bad guts 

anything processed  / farmed /      eggs / fried / poached / boiled /scrambled /   chickens fed on wheat meal a no go area  for me 

fresh fish and beef  is ok            except bread       I would die  for a decent gluten free    pizza  with friends    or   a full English is a dream   I cant have  unless cooked at home  even then lacking components     like fried bread I make      her indoors would die for       a decent black pudding     and a decent egg    a decent sausage   decent beans   ( so basically bacon tomato and mushrooms and a coffee )   

5 hours ago, Saltings said:

her indoors bought some plant based burgers from lidl I think     as I am gluten intolerant  she thought I mite like them      I ate one and would have rather had a decent burger with bad guts for days  and a backside like a blood orange rather  than eat another   one in the belly others  in the bins    ( I have taste buds and was brought up to enjoy good food)  as well as live on it       however I do eat a lot of veg and fruit and many  meats  without  problems              anything processed is a problem           however  / tomato soup / cocky leaky soup/     home made veg soups  oxtail soup  and stews  curries  are all ok   shop bought  checking  labels all the time  saves bad guts 

anything processed  / farmed /      eggs / fried / poached / boiled /scrambled /   chickens fed on wheat meal a no go area  for me 

fresh fish and beef  is ok            except bread       I would die  for a decent gluten free    pizza  with friends    or   a full English is a dream   I cant have  unless cooked at home  even then lacking components     like fried bread I make      her indoors would die for       a decent black pudding     and a decent egg    a decent sausage   decent beans   ( so basically bacon tomato and mushrooms and a coffee )   

My daughter is gluten free, try Sainsbury's free from range, they do pizza, sausage, beer and shed loads of other stuff. Daughter says the genius gluten  free crumpets are vile though.

Oddly enough, after reading the OP's post I went meat free at our local Indian Saturday evening - Tikka Masala sauce, Onion Bhaji's and Vegetable Niramish - with Garlic and Coriander Naan bread it was absolutely superb, in fact I would say better than with my usual Chicken because I didn't leave feeling like I had swallowed a Medicinecene Ball.

On 26/01/2020 at 08:05, Centrepin said:

My daughter is gluten free, try Sainsbury's free from range, they do pizza, sausage, beer and shed loads of other stuff. Daughter says the genius gluten  free crumpets are vile though.

Sainsburys near me don't have pizza or beer  large Tesco has beer sometimes  GF Peroni      all supermarkets advertise a large GF range   however not in store every day foods  staples  are cack / ****         exotic   or xxx sweet    your gal is spot on crumpets they are vile     biscuits sickly sweet or eat the cardboard box nothing savoury       nothing   like a dunked ginger nut or a bourbon cream or a fig roll  or rich tea / cream crackers with cheese      the GF version are  pants *2     I stick to old-school cooking  meat + veg greens  curries  stews etc  however rice flour tortillas can make a decent bacon  sarnie/ bbq rap          as the GF bread fall to bits     I have found sunflower seeds / oil in the bread    or cooking     inc tinned fish      kills me with heartburn     and  rips my guts to bits     so can only have old fashioned plain cooking     game / butcher meat     fish    fresh or  frozen  or  frozen veg  / home made chips in peanut / canola  oil /     anything processed rips me apart  for days   always watching labels  as Tesco change suppliers and keep the packet but change ingredients   

if you are gluten intolerant  /  sun flour seeds and oil can irritate as well as lactose  as they are used in GF as a bulking agent  sun flour seeds and oil is used in everything as gluten as a cheap bulking agent   home made bread never had any oil in the ingredients    (Irish  soda bread /  sour dough brown  bread )  non processed bread  but wrong flour  for me   I like to kill it cook it eat it with seasonal fruit or veg inc tates and neaps  with greens         back to old fashioned home cooking a local grown balanced diet    I just wish I could have a decent bread bacon and egg  sandwich /  a builders breakfast batch full of everything  from a road side caff would be  to die for         if I don't bring it  it I cant eat it     (cold  )     while my  mates eat  a steaming hot breakfast batch       you are always asking do you do or can you do if dining out    even fish and chips   all in one fryer  on guiet  night   if busy    chips in one       all batter in another            I have found after many years if you are intolerant you must cook at home  as you don't have a backside like a blood orange for days  as most  eateries don't  understand cross contamination  even at home it can be difficult    simple cooking = gluten free  I use different utensils to the mrs and kids        I crave a  home made beef  stock gravy  pie       that's just me      tried different pizzas  they are all tasteless or extremely over expensive for cardboard base with minimal toppings  compared to 16" all toppings  the only thing different is the dough  yet 3 times the price   I cant justify paying   £20 + for an 10" pizza and still hungry        home cooking wins  

Edited by Saltings