Vegan food - the shame of it

AVB

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

Sainsburys near me don't have pizza or beer  large Tesco has beer sometimes  GF Peroni      all supermarkets advertise a large GF range   however not in store every day foods  staples  are cack / ****         exotic   or xxx sweet    your gal is spot on crumpets they are vile     biscuits sickly sweet or eat the cardboard box nothing savoury       nothing   like a dunked ginger nut or a bourbon cream or a fig roll  or rich tea / cream crackers with cheese      the GF version are  pants *2     I stick to old-school cooking  meat + veg greens  curries  stews etc  however rice flour tortillas can make a decent bacon  sarnie/ bbq rap          as the GF bread fall to bits     I have found sunflower seeds / oil in the bread    or cooking     inc tinned fish      kills me with heartburn     and  rips my guts to bits     so can only have old fashioned plain cooking     game / butcher meat     fish    fresh or  frozen  or  frozen veg  / home made chips in peanut / canola  oil /     anything processed rips me apart  for days   always watching labels  as Tesco change suppliers and keep the packet but change ingredients   

if you are gluten intolerant  /  sun flour seeds and oil can irritate as well as lactose  as they are used in GF as a bulking agent  sun flour seeds and oil is used in everything as gluten as a cheap bulking agent   home made bread never had any oil in the ingredients    (Irish  soda bread /  sour dough brown  bread )  non processed bread  but wrong flour  for me   I like to kill it cook it eat it with seasonal fruit or veg inc tates and neaps  with greens         back to old fashioned home cooking a local grown balanced diet    I just wish I could have a decent bread bacon and egg  sandwich /  a builders breakfast batch full of everything  from a road side caff would be  to die for         if I don't bring it  it I cant eat it     (cold  )     while my  mates eat  a steaming hot breakfast batch       you are always asking do you do or can you do if dining out    even fish and chips   all in one fryer  on guiet  night   if busy    chips in one       all batter in another            I have found after many years if you are intolerant you must cook at home  as you don't have a backside like a blood orange for days  as most  eateries don't  understand cross contamination  even at home it can be difficult    simple cooking = gluten free  I use different utensils to the mrs and kids        I crave a  home made beef  stock gravy  pie       that's just me      tried different pizzas  they are all tasteless or extremely over expensive for cardboard base with minimal toppings  compared to 16" all toppings  the only thing different is the dough  yet 3 times the price   I cant justify paying   £20 + for an 10" pizza and still hungry        home cooking wins  

I'm currently experimenting with home made bread for my daughter.  The last few batches have gone straight to the bin. She made some yesterday that was almost palatable and I'll try again next week. 

If I get it right eventually I'll post the recipe for you. I'm considering a brewers yeast and start it off separately before adding it. That might work🤔

My wife is gluten free and also finds the supermarket pizzas to be unpalatable.

I make her a socca base (chickpea or gram flour, olive oil, egg, salt and lots of ground black pepper, beaten to a thick batter with water and fried in a large frying pan to make a 1/4" thick crispy base) topped with the usual pizza toppings and finished off in a very hot oven.

OK, it doesn't taste like a wheat pizza, but it is much, much tastier than the supermarket gf offerings.

Edited by amateur

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2020 at 09:37, Centrepin said:

I'm currently experimenting with home made bread for my daughter.  The last few batches have gone straight to the bin. She made some yesterday that was almost palatable and I'll try again next week. 

If I get it right eventually I'll post the recipe for you. I'm considering a brewers yeast and start it off separately before adding it. That might work🤔

I have a bread maker you are more than welcome too  only used  gf ingredients  ( so  no cross contamination )     for free         I dint mind paying postage if it helps you out        too many different types of flour  /  ingredients  for me    I just want a bacon sarnie  I can eat rather than  picking bits off the floor    I will  happily post at my cost to help your gal out    pm your address    if you find a palatable bread its the only payment I need  I  live  on rice flour tortillas  with bacon  for breakfast     /     broths    /  beef  stews /   plain simple roasts  bland foods  /  chicken fried or roasted   /  no gravy             I crave a pint of  Guinness    and some                      a pizza   a kabab   not to mention a decent curry   /  a full fat breakfast batch             the most  simple pleasures  can become the most important  when you cant have       bad guts and backside like a blood orange    weeks of feeling ****  bland foods win      Irish whiskeys  is ok 👍 Jamison's / paddy's  anything wheat based is  not good   

Edited by Saltings

5 hours ago, Saltings said:

I have a bread maker you are more than welcome too  only used  gf ingredients  ( so  no cross contamination )     for free         I dint mind paying postage if it helps you out        too many different types of flour  /  ingredients  for me    I just want a bacon sarnie  I can eat rather than  picking bits off the floor    I will  happily post at my cost to help your gal out    pm your address    if you find a palatable bread its the only payment I need  I  live  on rice flour tortillas  with bacon  for breakfast     /     broths    /  beef  stews /   plain simple roasts  bland foods  /  chicken fried or roasted   /  no gravy             I crave a pint of  Guinness    and some                      a pizza   a kabab   not to mention a decent curry   /  a full fat breakfast batch             the most  simple pleasures  can become the most important  when you cant have       bad guts and backside like a blood orange    weeks of feeling ****  bland foods win      Irish whiskeys  is ok 👍 Jamison's / paddy's  anything wheat based is  not good   

Thanks for the offer, my daughter has a bread maker and I actually enjoy doing it by hand. My old bread maker still resides in the garage.

Recently I've found that she can tolerate a small amount of my bread made with some readily available flours. You sound worse than my daughter but it might be worth looking into. She can only have 1 slice or 1 small bread cake. Today I'm going to try a cheese bread for her using a lacto free cheese. I hope it works for you. The picture below the middle one is for the brand only as that's for me. Sure you get the idea. The thing they all have in common is they're all organic Canadian wheat. Allinsons is cheapest, but she's less tolerant of that. The others are via the internet.

Hope you go on ok.

20200209_082651.jpg

Edited by Centrepin

Lady S and I had an unintentional vegetarian dinner the other night - homemade dhal (just red lentils simmered for 30 mins in water with turmeric and salt, with a load of fried onions, chillies and spices chucked in at the end), salads (including a really simple thing of grated fresh beetroot, cucumber, lime and coriander), and breads.

We did enough for four (on paper...) but ended up scoffing the lot! Delicious, and it wasn’t until later we realised that if we hadn’t buttered the bread, it would have been completely vegan.

Setting out to “replace meat” isn’t, in my view, the way to do it. Cultivating/celebrating a love of vegetables is a much more positive path. Hugh Fearnley-Whittington’s book on Veg Every Day is a great book to have on hand (if you can ignore the stoopid doodles on the pictures - who on earth thought that was a good idea?!).

LS