Removing fleas from your dogs

Leach

I have a pack of 7 dogs and have always found flea treatments to be pretty naff especially the spot on type and powders which just wash off when they spend a lot of time outdoors. In the past 30+ years I have learnt that giving them a good wash with washing up liquid one after the other leaving the liquid on for 15 mins or so kills them off fine make sure you also clean all their living areas if outside give the area a dose of disinfectant , You may have to do this a few times but it really does work well and of course is very cheap as long as you don't mind the effort. I wet them then rub the washing up liquid all over them leave for 15 mins then wash it off you will find dead fleas in the water .

Edited by BADGER.BRAD
spell

We use one of those collars, I think it’s called Seresto or something. It’s about £30+ and lasts about 9-10 months. 

Ted had never had fleas and also we see a massive reduction in ticks when he wears it. Before we had it some weeks I was taking 5-6 ticks off him regularly after walking up the woods. 

Since having them we have barely had one. Also after about 10 months he picked up a tick or two, I checked how old the collar was and it was about the time it said to replace, soon as I replaced no more ticks. 

I also tried one of the knock off brands but didn’t find that as good. 

I think not using human shampoo or any shampoo most likely becomes a problem if you use it really often. Most of my dogs live outside  (6 working Cockers and a German Shepherd) and living outside they seem to develop quite a waxy coat making them a little more water proof and also when they get really muddy ( every time they go out ) they seem to become clean much faster than dogs I have had inside, almost like it will not stick so well. After all dogs in the wild do not have access to warm water  and shampoo. ( the same as they do not have access to cooked food buts that another matter of course.

Edited by BADGER.BRAD