Wi Fi booster

Stour-boy

Hi Guys, can anyone lead me to the right way to enable  me to get wi fi into my man cave/workshop,  Its about 20 to 25 yards away from the house. At the moment the signal is about 3yards shy of my workshop, would one of these plug in boosters work and have you any experience of these ?

S.B.

It should work fine, parents use one. It don't boost signal but extends the signal it's picking up.

I tried a expensive send down power cable to a WiFi receiver unit that plugs in. Worked ok when it worked but very temperamental.

The basic plug and play types are simpler.

Screwfix sell a WiFi booster built into a double socket front I think they are £22/23 I was thinking of getting a couple to extend the reach of my WiFi so I haven’t got first hand experience of them but they came highly recommended by a good electrician friend

edit;

added bonus being your not taking up plug in point with a plug in one 

Edited by Wilksy II

I also have a tplink booster due to thick walls - plugged in around mid point the signal appears better all over the house than the actual router. 

it’s a bit slower apparently - not that I notice. 

it was also one of the only ones to work with the sky / now routers for some reason 

This is the one I'm using in the summer house.

Talking to my son it works very well. Just me not giving it time to sync when switching it on 🤫

Have to say running a cat6 cable is the best option if you can, it's secure too.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-wpa8630p-v2-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av1300-twin-pack-10166934-pdt.html

I gave up with wi-fi extenders and boosters as all seemed to have various levels of success. I binned the lot and installed a Mesh system. It was a bit pricey to purchase but I now have wi-fi throughout all areas of the house and coverage throughout the garden areas including sheds and garage. If you find a blind spot you install another Mesh unit which will cover that area. I have 3 Mesh units throughout the house and haven't had a single drop off from the Wi-fi since I installed it 6 months ago, I get pretty much the full 200mps that I get from Virgin throughout the house and more importantly no moaning from a certain teenager that his Sonos or PS4 has dropped off 🙂 Worth having a look at.

You ideally need direct line of sight between transmitter and reciever with only glass in the way at that sort of distance.

You therefore likely need your main router plugged in to BT socket, a booster/repeater station within 50% of main routers range in window facing man cave and booster/repeater sitting in man cave window facing house.

Alternatively, you could try externally mounted aerials if you have no suitable windows.

As noted above, cat 6 connected to router and repeater station either end and buried in blue water pipe for protection is the best choice.

Edited by Stonepark

4 hours ago, m3vert said:

I gave up with wi-fi extenders and boosters as all seemed to have various levels of success. I binned the lot and installed a Mesh system. It was a bit pricey to purchase but I now have wi-fi throughout all areas of the house and coverage throughout the garden areas including sheds and garage. If you find a blind spot you install another Mesh unit which will cover that area. I have 3 Mesh units throughout the house and haven't had a single drop off from the Wi-fi since I installed it 6 months ago, I get pretty much the full 200mps that I get from Virgin throughout the house and more importantly no moaning from a certain teenager that his Sonos or PS4 has dropped off 🙂 Worth having a look at.

Is that was this guy is going on about?

My old house was 4 storey with concrete floors (we fully converted a derelict Georgian convent) and so I ran a Cat 5e (precursor to 6) up one rise, cut with a double terminal at each floor. I could then either patch the redundant terminals or add wireless router. 3 routers covered the house and the phones / laptops etc seamlessly switched between them as you moved about. Best £2 I’ve spent was on the cable, I had messed about with extenders in previous houses - in my experience they are pointless. 

Go for hard wired or use 5G/4G. 

Edited by WalkedUp

11 hours ago, m3vert said:

I agree. I went for a Linksys mesh system. With 4 nodes I get coverage throughout the house and to garage and car. 

Wireless if you can afford it - or for ultimate reliability (and security) put Ethernet cable in - CAT6.  All the Wireless approaches fall into the same 'nearly' bucket - i.e. they nearly work all of the time.

It is the fashion these days to connect one's Smart TV wirelessly - it's more hassle to use Ethernet  cable but worth the effort and low cost for a better overall result.  I have a pair of cables that leave the BT router in my study, go through the wall and then up the side of the house, into the roof-space and across to the other side of the house, down an outside wall again and into the sitting room so the TV and home theatre PC have a quick, 100% reliable connection.  

Edited by Cosmicblue

On 26/01/2020 at 05:55, m3vert said:

I gave up with wi-fi extenders and boosters as all seemed to have various levels of success. I binned the lot and installed a Mesh system. It was a bit pricey to purchase but I now have wi-fi throughout all areas of the house and coverage throughout the garden areas including sheds and garage. If you find a blind spot you install another Mesh unit which will cover that area. I have 3 Mesh units throughout the house and haven't had a single drop off from the Wi-fi since I installed it 6 months ago

Similar here.  Been excellent with 4 mesh units in a large house with some very thick (internal as well as external) walls.

One thing that badly reduces ALL WiFi is foil clad insulation blocks used in cavity walls etc.

20 hours ago, Davyo said:

Is that was this guy is going on about?

That is the one I have, yes

In fact mine is probably an older version (white discs) but is a BT marketed product called BT Whole Home.

Edited by JohnfromUK

There you go Stour Boy.

Pigeon Watch expertise at its very best and to your rescue.

Perhaps you can explain all that technical stuff to me tomorrow when we go in pursuit of a few pigeons. It was all gobbledegook to me and went completely over my head. Mind you, being vertically challenged, most things do. :yahoo:

OB