Car Sickness

Grandalf

Friend has a five month old Golden Retriever.   She is a good hound in all respects bar one.   She gets sick just about every time that she goes in the car.

She was alright at first and did trips of up to an hour with no problem and was kept happy chewing a fresh meat bone.   Then did several shorter trips with no problem.   Then she started being sick.  We tried all the usual things - feeding her in the car - stationary of course.   Just taking her around the block with liberal treats.   Moving her to the front of the large vehicle, Kia SUV, so there was less lateral forces and anything else we could find in the training books written over the last several generations.   Nothing has improved the situation.

She bounds into the car with gay abandon and is then sick within ten minutes.   Wont even look at the bone nowadays.

My friend is an elderly, don't let her know I ever said that, lady who is a very steady driver.   She tows a horse box all over the country.   (Not with the dog in it).   She has trained dogs all of her life and is a country lass through and through.   She has two other dogs which travel quite happily.   I have trained labs for about sixty years but this one has got me stumped.   Whatever we do doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions gratefully received.   

I have only had this once in forty years of training, my current youngest lab. Sick as soon as we got down the drive. I was told it can be that the inner ear has not yet fully developed and by twelve months it will sort itself out. That was exactly what happened and I now have a dog who is no problem on any journey. Hope this helps.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies and reassurance.   I have never had a problem with the scores of dogs that I have bred and trained over two thirds of my lifetime.   Some were a bit reluctant or apprehensive but nothing more.   This friends dog is different though.   As I said in the original post.

I read up about the inner ear possibility and, being an ex airline pilot, I know a bit about it in humans.   (It can stop a pilots career if it raises its ugly head at any time during his working life).

So all we can do is wait and hope.   The plot is not to put her in the car unless absolutely necessary - vets, etc - and try her again in a few months.  

The owner is a very dog savvy person and a steady driver with a very stable truck.  (One of the big KIA's).

Thanks again for your input and I will let you know how we get on in due course.

Ben  

On 25/01/2020 at 15:34, Grandalf said:

Friend has a five month old Golden Retriever.   She is a good hound in all respects bar one.   She gets sick just about every time that she goes in the car.

She was alright at first and did trips of up to an hour with no problem and was kept happy chewing a fresh meat bone.   Then did several shorter trips with no problem.   Then she started being sick.  We tried all the usual things - feeding her in the car - stationary of course.   Just taking her around the block with liberal treats.   Moving her to the front of the large vehicle, Kia SUV, so there was less lateral forces and anything else we could find in the training books written over the last several generations.   Nothing has improved the situation.

She bounds into the car with gay abandon and is then sick within ten minutes.   Wont even look at the bone nowadays.

My friend is an elderly, don't let her know I ever said that, lady who is a very steady driver.   She tows a horse box all over the country.   (Not with the dog in it).   She has trained dogs all of her life and is a country lass through and through.   She has two other dogs which travel quite happily.   I have trained labs for about sixty years but this one has got me stumped.   Whatever we do doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions gratefully received.   

I inherited my Dad's Red Setter when he was 4 years old. Apart from when he was collected from the breeder he hadn't been in a car as Dad had stopped driving by the time he had him.

He travelled Ok behaviour wise, but was car sick every time.

Many years ago we used to use Sea Legs as it was dog safe, but you can't  get it now.This is the same active ingredient and we ordered it from America.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rugby-Meclizine-HCl-Antiemetic-Caplets-12-5-mg-100-Ct/401780523707?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5d8bfc42bb:g:l-oAAOSwUvlc91xJ&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWQxl3lNOsrWCf7mx4epx58ZFXQN7r8x6W5AZ083VoY5S10YbhJqGsjOH0l7%2B50wDCsKLiRQw9ZXzyUrHUV4px0B5yxcWKrYH6sRFU1viQlbdkBysIrsa45ZlfHvBxSwawFC9JbRyJcDxu4%2FI2F8iwAblyfyKHiIjCVUe2A0XHC4m64PXAW0hzP3nOz35GaYfOeeuDsbyZAihJFpASDAlvq4NxPIst0i4FEmC853jUGi%2FDegRLiT8o4YHUDYHw1pcSfqPkudks534zVSrg2rL8u8LRvDkKLE3cndaX%2FPspdExtfrVUJrz4hQ8kdoKoAjSFUMoSL%2FJMKGGNR8kTv6nOZMPmPNH5tf6cnxMhP9%2FrIxlRZ310F41oXv49KOxFhs%2FaBPuyghVTUV%2B4a18ywyxgClZR%2FDglLt%2BNDjuW%2FPqNQfy6Jmy59aVz8xfxDqlRQbQKz8UvrcWFROU18e5vPpWaVL7w3YR4dDtG0d0KPYrLbKViDk2mPJ5xBvTRqxZI%2BeCFgPTfMO%2Fr4eXPjB9hE%2B07t9IglMErjFC8vhYAnabRZACpyublJj3N7aOkrw8OUeRHh%2FxMe5TnjF5HTwWzLfW3sWhytSqDBxFBdRC2wlKuAnpYgen7cnc8cMT5C2YRr3JZvMVS8IOBlS5ycTpB864CkOdnLn4nOWENW2HJeA%2FnYegAYrHYFydCohClRzjVTPOHcpyaUvBymRrDFsUcNiCfzu2wOp8WvXc%2Bn66MOKDmyZg%3D%3D&checksum=401780523707e1ce09a947494c5493e884bec1faa94b

We bought these. Make sure it's the 12.5mg dose.  For a 30 kg Setter we gave 1 tablet an hour before travelling. It didn't  make Logan sleepy either, but did calm him and stops him drooling in the car. No more car sickness. We have had him 6 years this year. He grew out of being sick after a couple of years and doesn't  need them now.

16 hours ago, Leach said:

Our mad dog used to enjoy the window down in the back of the car head sticking out all the air up her nostrils and barking at people going past even at the petrol station I think one or two people had a funny feeling in their pants

Only snag with that is if a stone flips up or a length of bramble is hanging out of a hedge. At even quite low speeds it will make a hell of a mess of a dogs head.