. 410 o/u

youngratter

I'm all for introducing kids into shooting and recently started a thread Grandchildren and guns.

.410 O/U for kids seem hard to come by. Even full sized, people seem to hang onto them. Have you considered an O/U 20 bore? My oldest Granddaughter shoots one and gets on with it fine. My 13 year old Granddaughter shoots a .410 SxS with a shortened stock. SxS seem easier to come by and cheaper.

I've just altered a .410 single barrel to fit my 6 year old grandson. Pictures are in the thread I mentioned. You can pick up a single barrel gun for as little as 20 quid and a bit of thought and hard work and you have a good useable starter gun. Just my opinion but a single barrel to start is a touch safer and marginally lighter.

Whatever you decide on, good luck with it and the young one👍

19 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I'm all for introducing kids into shooting and recently started a thread Grandchildren and guns.

.410 O/U for kids seem hard to come by. Even full sized, people seem to hang onto them. Have you considered an O/U 20 bore? My oldest Granddaughter shoots one and gets on with it fine. My 13 year old Granddaughter shoots a .410 SxS with a shortened stock. SxS seem easier to come by and cheaper.

I've just altered a .410 single barrel to fit my 6 year old grandson. Pictures are in the thread I mentioned. You can pick up a single barrel gun for as little as 20 quid and a bit of thought and hard work and you have a good useable starter gun. Just my opinion but a single barrel to start is a touch safer and marginally lighter.

Whatever you decide on, good luck with it and the young one👍

He has a single. 410 atm, had it for around 2 years and is a safe shot, always conscious as to where the muzzle is pointing so that's no issue. 

We tried a 20g single but it was too much for him as he has a light frame (unlike me 😂

Sxs maybe an option if nothing comes up. 

And its good to hear your young one's are getting into the sport aswell. 

6 minutes ago, dankidd said:

I bought my 10 year old a Kofs 20g junior model and its a superb little gun. You can get lighter carts but he's happy using 21g carts through it and seems to be shooting well!

We tried him on a 20g single as it was cheap and didn't want to chuck a lot of money at it for him not to be able to handle it, and it was lucky as he couldn't even with light loads 

5 minutes ago, dankidd said:

I always found single barrel shotguns kick harder because they are lighter and don't soak up recoil as well as a double barrel gun.

I totally agree and if it was a little too harsh for him I would probably have spent the money and gone for a 20g but it was far too harsh for him. He has a really light frame so as little kick as possible is better for him, hence why we are sticking with. 410

3 minutes ago, dankidd said:

Ah apologies I didn't realise he was of a small frame. If he is shooting well with a .410 stick with it because it's a hard gun to master! 

Yeah he's like a racing snake 😂

He does OK with. 410 he just wants a 2nd barrel for in the hide which why we are going for o/u ideally 

On 25/01/2020 at 16:22, youngratter said:

As above wondering If anyone has a reasonable priced.410 ideally a junior stock as its for my 10 year old but adults stock considered. 

I'm shropshire/staffs/Cheshire border but travel with work and don't mind travelling for the right gun. 

I've just dropped you a PM.