8 bore success

wigeon jim

Well done . Lovely gun . I have a hammer 8 bore Enos James Gun that I wish i could take wildfowling over here . That is what it was built to do. My gun has no choke in the barrels and I doubt I could take a 50 yard shot.at a Goose.  If you dont mind how much choke dose your gun have. And what size ITX did you load?   Years ago the government outlawed shooting wildfowl here with anything larger than a 10 bore. I am envious.

15 hours ago, moongeese said:

They used 10--8 and 4 Bore guns in Africa, the 4 oz balls would be fired from a 4-Bore..

Yes sorry it was a 4bore elephant gun the passage i just read the authors native gun carrier had mistakenly double loaded putting powder in by hand he fired at a charging elephant the charge lifted him off the ground and ripped his cheek open.

Fantastic, what a gun. A pal of mine has a single 8, English gun and uses it once or twice a season flighting pinks off Lindisfarne. I will never forget him taking a single pink out of a bunch that I hadn't bothered raising my 12 to. They must have been at least 60-70 yards and the goose was dead in the air.  

• 1 month later...
On 14/02/2020 at 09:40, kippylawkid said:

Fantastic, what a gun. A pal of mine has a single 8, English gun and uses it once or twice a season flighting pinks off Lindisfarne. I will never forget him taking a single pink out of a bunch that I hadn't bothered raising my 12 to. They must have been at least 60-70 yards and the goose was dead in the air.  

Its memories like that you will always think fondly of. Makes life worth living 👍, brilliant.