Heating Oil Tank Fire Protection

arm3000gt

Hi

I am looking at moving my oil tank to a 'better' location, tank is also single skin and 16 years old so will get a new one at the same time. I would like to move it to the far corner of my garden but it won't meet the separation distances in the regs without fire protection. Are there any OFTEC bods on here who could advise if what I propose is correct? Just in the thought/planning process at the moment so don't want to start calling installers out just yet.

Ideally the tank will be located about 400-500mm from neighbours fence and fence at the end of garden. Tank will also be within 1800mm of garden shed so will need fire protection on 3 sides.

Proposal.

New concrete base 100mm + thick, 300mm bigger all round than proposed new tank (as per regs). Concrete fence post every 1000mm, attach external rated fireboard (rated to min 30 minutes) to inner (tank side) side of posts to 300mm above tank height. Then I intend to put trellis/batons on the outside face of posts to hide the fireboard and concrete posts a little. This seems to be the quickest solution and possibly most cost effective. I did consider a block/brick wall but for the amount of effort doesn't seem worth it, especially as no one will directly look at this location. Should be about 1500mm to top of fire board.

So have I miss interpreted anything? Apart from it looking a bit ugly.,or is there an easier way I've not considered.

Thanks.

Edited by arm3000gt
added words for clarity

4 hours ago, B725 said:

There are now available a fire proof tank for the domestic market, it has some kind of fire blanket in the bunding. I will try to get the details when I go back to work. We have just had one fitted at one of our properties 

Tuffa Tank and another company make these. I did look but they seemed expensive, but I've just looked again and seen one for a price within £300 ish of what I propose. Would certainly save a lot of hassle. Cost is getting up there though and would have to go plastic instead of steel. 

13 minutes ago, figgy said:

They've gone mad, with regs. 

Maybe but it's going to cost me regardless. Even without moving the tank and replacing in existing location, I'd still need to do put some fire proof screen in place as it's too close to the shed. So I might as well move it to a better location.