Renewed threat from Avery

McSpredder

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an absolute joke , these so-called animal lovers ! They don’t give a **** about wildlife !!! They don’t care that lambs were attacked and had tongues and eyes pecked out , ewes were attacked as they lay birthing 

crops were being destroyed by millions of pigeons thus less being produced and driving prices up , just so long as they stay in the news being seen to be the saviour of wildlife 

I just hope defra have a pair ! And fight this and not just rollover ! 

Let’s hope all the organisations do ! 

Thing I don’t understand is if it comes from a government department and it’s legal to do , animal protection , crop protection, how can it be challenged ? Why are they just told to get stuffed it’s legal and that’s an end to it ! 

Wouldn't it be hilarious if some major stakeholders in agriculture that suffered from all of this debacle managed to take him, packham and some of the rest of them to court for all of their silly behaviour that has caused millions in losses to farmers/producers. Even with evidence presented right in front of them and being made to look like fools they still whip up a media storm that causes knee-jerk reactions all because they peddle out the old lie that it's in the interest of animal rights etc whereas it's really about being anti-shooting.

Would love to see them paying compensation to the people they hurt.

Edited by Rob85
Adding text

57 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Let’s hope all the organisations do ! 

Thing I don’t understand is if it comes from a government department and it’s legal to do , animal protection , crop protection, how can it be challenged ? Why are they just told to get stuffed it’s legal and that’s an end to it ! 

Judging by the speed with which the Government rolled over last year, it wasn't at that time legal - hence the amended GLs. If they get it right this year then we're good to go and someone can make a start on offsetting their next target - the release of non native species.

54 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if some major stakeholders in agriculture that suffered from all of this debacle managed to take him, packham and some of the rest of them to court for all of their silly behaviour that has caused millions in losses to farmers/producers. Even with evidence presented right in front of them and being made to look like fools they still whip up a media storm that causes knee-jerk reactions all because they peddle out the old lie that it's in the interest of animal rights etc whereas it's really about being anti-shooting.

Would love to see them paying compensation to the people they hurt.

Crowd funded naturally.

Always wondered why birds like pigeons are labelled only as pests/vermin. Surely as they can also be sold to game dealers for food they should have another designation. It's not like there's a chance of them going extinct with the relatively small numbers of people who shoot large bags. Surely if they had another status they cold be better protected for people who shoot them for the pot as well as crop protection. 

The other species on general licence have been proven to be pests to all forms of agriculture so open season on them as far as I'm concerned all year round. I really don't see how these people have ANY argument against general licence.

Not that any of this affects me just yet as northern ireland is under different jurisdiction but i sense it won't be long now the powers that be have got their fingers outa their hole and got back in government to proceed to ruin things again

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the GL we have to comply with stems from EU rules/laws, if so, where do we stand when we leave?

I thought that too! Once the UK leaves the EU surely it can make its own laws again? Recategorise pest species as pests, that can be controlled/shot at any time..........or recategorised as game and given a season! (12 months should do it!:good:)

Anyone with half a brain can see, this is about attacking shooting, not about the terms of a GL........same goes for Driven grouse shooting, which is under attack, not because of the antis wanting to protect grouse, sphagnum moss, moorland, avoid fire or flooding and protect raptors from persecution which they have consistently exaggerated and fabricated....but to harm shooting sports..........the same goes for the antis campaign against Trophy hunting....it’s not to protect animals....it’s to hurt shooting sports!

Edited by panoma1
Typo

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I thought that too! Once the UK leaves the EU surely it can make its own laws again? Recategorise pest species as pests, that can be controlled/shot at any time..........or recategorised as game and given a season! (12 months should do it!:good:)

Anyone with half a brain can see, this is about attacking shooting, not about the terms of a GL........same goes for Driven grouse shooting, which is under attack, not because of the antis wanting to protect grouse, sphagnum moss, moorland, avoid fire or flooding and protect raptors from persecution which they have consistently exaggerated and fabricated....but to harm shooting sports..........the same goes for the antis campaign against Trophy hunting....it’s not to protect animals....it’s to hurt shooting sports!

That sounds pretty spot on to me. The Problem and scare for me is how is shooting and country sports going to look in twenty years??? It has changed dramatically since I was a kid and I now worry how my lads will be able to carry on with what my family has done for generations. 

To some people I suppose it's a hobby that they get into and then do different things aswell in their spare time. To others they have been doing it for a short period of time but are very keen. How they will react to the pressure put on them by antis is what is going to cost our sport. We will always be in the minority which is why I think there are such one sided views in the media etc

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

That sounds pretty spot on to me. The Problem and scare for me is how is shooting and country sports going to look in twenty years??? It has changed dramatically since I was a kid and I now worry how my lads will be able to carry on with what my family has done for generations. 

To some people I suppose it's a hobby that they get into and then do different things aswell in their spare time. To others they have been doing it for a short period of time but are very keen. How they will react to the pressure put on them by antis is what is going to cost our sport. We will always be in the minority which is why I think there are such one sided views in the media etc

Yes well Boris has Carrie the anti blowing in his ear....and we know what blokes are like when led by the ****!
I see the issue of the abandoned Badger cull in Derbyshire is going to judicial review, it is alleged she influenced the government (Boris) to influence DEFRA to abandon it, after she met weeks before the election with Dominic Dyer, the leader of the Badger Trust!

Does not bode well for shooting, if the PM’s squeeze is a rabid anti?

6 minutes ago, soulboy1957 said:

My BASC renewal is due on 31st of this month, whether i go with them depends on their response to this, that a crowd funded bunch can do this with a few thousand versus a multi million pound "fighting fund" that BASC has is a joke. 

Going to watch the reply to your post from BASC with interest.

1 hour ago, soulboy1957 said:

My BASC renewal is due on 31st of this month, whether i go with them depends on their response to this, that a crowd funded bunch can do this with a few thousand versus a multi million pound "fighting fund" that BASC has is a joke. 

I have supported basc  for years and I must admit have been a bit disappointed in there response to all of this. 

I would like to say is Charlie Jacoby from the fieldsport Chanel has done some great work in the media. Seems a great spokesperson to counter these antis.  where normal debate and facts are never considered by their side. If we were to talk to them the way they push there views on us our license would be in serious jeopardy. It is great to see Charlie hold his own in debates where he is always outnumbered

Edited by bumpy22

Big fan of fieldsports Britain, the way they are social media savvy has to be part of the future of shooting, BASC taking the fight to Defra etc is good, but the bit they miss is the public perception, ( bent, fake facts and biased opinions portrayed by Packham, Avery etc) and this is fuelled by them reaching the  public via social media , whether it be petitions on change. org, crowd funding, RSPB on Facebook, these are the areas to challenge and educate. Strongly worded emails from BASC are inward and do not reach these people just the shooting community. 

Shame Fieldsports Britain dont offer insurance 

Edited by soulboy1957
Miss spelt

Lets not get carried away and into a BASC slagging match hey! Division is what the antis want! Remember this thread started with just a link to an idle threat/quote from Avery in a tabloid that is anti! Nothing more! Whats the big deal!? Just more of the hollow threats and miss information they so clever at! Do you think DEFRA really would of issued the  general licenses they did last year if they wouldn't stand up to legal scrutiny and be lawful now they are in the spot light? Would like to now how many replied and hear the results of there consultation call for evidence? This information has got to be a big positive influence on any new licenses issued!? GWCT's one had 3000  respond. Itread  and came across very positive  with plenty of  good evidence and facts  that they submitted. Surely more must of replied to DEFRA's request?  They must realise more now how important pest control is!         

How many other Pigeonwatch members responded?             NB 

2 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Lets not get carried away and into a BASC slagging match hey! Division is what the antis want! Remember this thread started with just a link to an idle threat/quote from Avery in a tabloid that is anti! Nothing more! Whats the big deal!? Just more of the hollow threats and miss information they so clever at! Do you think DEFRA really would of issued the  general licenses they did last year if they wouldn't stand up to legal scrutiny and be lawful now they are in the spot light? Would like to now how many replied and hear the results of there consultation call for evidence? This information has got to be a big positive influence on any new licenses issued!? GWCT's one had 3000  respond. Itread  and came across very positive  with plenty of  good evidence and facts  that they submitted. Surely more must of replied to DEFRA's request?  They must realise more now how important pest control is!         

How many other Pigeonwatch members responded?             NB 

:good:

If these clowns genuinely believed in what they're preaching they'd be prepared to spend their own money in the struggle to win their case. We know that they're not prepared so to do and have no real interest in conservation or wildlife other than its use as a device to generate income for themselves. We shouldn't throw too much money into a fight which they will not win - although there may be some concessions to be made on our part -  whether it be the GLs, grouse shooting or the release of non native species, but keep it in reserve just in case they finally wise up. In all probability, by the time that happens, if at all, they will have lost all credibility and their begging bowls will remain empty. Having said that, we're not perfect and if there is an area where we could and should improve our performance we ought to do something about it as it's the right thing to do and not just because it's a weak spot that could be targeted if it was to be identified.

As posted in the other thread:

Honestly, if you haven't already just give up on BASC. It doesn't represent shooting, it represents BASC. Save your money on subs and put it toward your GP fee, get your own insurance and just enjoy your shooting whilst it lasts, which won't be for very much longer. Perhaps ten years at best I give it before it is so tied up in red tape and gold plated legislation as to become impracticable.

You'll feel so much better once you stop believing in the fairytales.

46 minutes ago, mick miller said:

just enjoy your shooting whilst it lasts, which won't be for very much longer. Perhaps ten years at best I give it before it is so tied up in red tape and gold plated legislation as to become impracticable.

Defeatist, and very I'm-alright-Jack of you, if I may say so.  What about the generations that come after you?  Your post implies you're just going to lie down and take it.  I don't agree with every decision BASC makes but just moaning about it and sniping from the sidelines is less than useless.