Getting the head down

Joedt

I am Going to do a lot of studying and clay shooting to get ready to try find that ever elusive shooting permission over the next few months so I’m starting with this book, any advice from the pigeon shooting veterans would be a big help!!!

F4ABAE79-A9D6-4BE2-94AB-B8E3DFA010CA.jpeg

2 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

Good plan, get some cards printed up from vistaprint to hand out.

Yeh I have some already done, just wondering if it’s a good time of year to be looking for permission if there is a “good” time.

1 minute ago, Joedt said:

Yeh I have some already done, just wondering if it’s a good time of year to be looking for permission if there is a “good” time.

Obviously if somebody has a problem that would be the best time I imagine. You can always ask now and again if you notice birds on their land. 

If you can time it right best time is when farmers are being hit by pigeons !!! , be smart , polite and presentable , ask if you could help them with their pigeon problem , if you  could. Set up in the field being hit and shoot /deter them there , that way he’s not under the illusion you will be wandering all over with a shotgun shooting at anything that moves , if you get a no be polite give him a card and if you can help him in the future please call ,           Good luck 

Edited by spurs 14
Spelling

I always used the same method find the pigeons knock dressed to go politely ask if the farmer would like you to keep them of for the day as you have the kit on board full permission quickly follows a good job done if he does say no offer to leave a card and move on knock any and every place you can think of they can only say no and remember to knock the ones who  do say no once a year or if you see pigeons hitting something good luck and don’t give up let us know if you find a permission 

Thank you everyone I’ve had a drive around this afternoon with the binoculars but it was raining so I didn’t see much maybe the pigeons were taking cover in the woods but I will have another scout around next week and maybe travel a little further a field to up my chances. One more thing though I’ve shot pigeon in the past with air rifles so kinda know a little about them what I’m a little short on is information about the farmers antics for example crop rotation crop knowledge things like that will this come as I go.

Edited by Joedt

I’m not sure anyone is seeing pigeons in big numbers at the minute , but keep looking they will be about at some point , as for crop rotation I wouldn’t worry too much just look at what’s in the fields at the mo and look to keep them clear , we all start off somewhere picking it up as we go learning from mistakes and  success 

3 hours ago, spurs 14 said:

I’m not sure anyone is seeing pigeons in big numbers at the minute , but keep looking they will be about at some point , as for crop rotation I wouldn’t worry too much just look at what’s in the fields at the mo and look to keep them clear , we all start off somewhere picking it up as we go learning from mistakes and  success 

Yes thank you am thinking of joining NPPC in the mean time l.

Most landowners will want you to be insured.

You've not mentioned it, so not sure if you've got that covered.

The best way to learn to pigeon shoot is to get out with someone and watch and learn. I got taught from a young age that if your fieldcraft isn't very good, it doesn't matter how good a shot you are - there won't be anything to shoot at.

30 years later I'm still a very average shot but my fieldcraft is ok! 😆

16 hours ago, hedge said:

Most landowners will want you to be insured.

You've not mentioned it, so not sure if you've got that covered.

The best way to learn to pigeon shoot is to get out with someone and watch and learn. I got taught from a young age that if your fieldcraft isn't very good, it doesn't matter how good a shot you are - there won't be anything to shoot at.

30 years later I'm still a very average shot but my fieldcraft is ok! 😆

Yes I have BASC cover already sorted had it a while, yeh that would be ideal to get out with someone I think I will have to go on some guided shoots maybe.

37 minutes ago, Joedt said:

Yes I have BASC cover already sorted had it a while, yeh that would be ideal to get out with someone I think I will have to go on some guided shoots maybe.

Just keep plugging away. I got some permission through my local clay club as some members shot pigeons/vermin etc as well. Once you got to know them you could get some invites and/or suggestions who to approach. It takes time but worth the effort. 

Let us know how you get on.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

If you fancy some more reading I thoroughly recommend "shooting pigeons" by the late John Humphreys. A fantastic book and in my opinion should be on every shooter/countryman's shelf. 

Ile give it a go thank you. I’ve just been out for a drive on my dinner around work and found a lot of pigeons in what looks like 2 freshly plowed feilds but am not expert haha they fly from one field to the trees between the two then drop in to the other, how do I go about finding out who farms these fields ????

Edited by Joedt

35 minutes ago, Joedt said:

Ile give it a go thank you. I’ve just been out for a drive on my dinner around work and found a lot of pigeons in what looks like 2 freshly plowed feilds but am not expert haha they fly from one field to the trees between the two then drop in to the other, how do I go about finding out who farms these fields ????

Either have a drive round and try to find the nearest farm and ask them. Or get on Google maps and try to find the nearest farm(s) and ask them.

If you see a tractor working the fields and it's safe/practical, you can always ask them.