North Wales Police FAC /SGC medical report

Remimax

I see North Wales Police as asking for a medical report to be supplied by the Applicant for FAC and SGC from  funny enough 1st April this year.

is this the norm across the country now ?.renewed mine last year so be a while before a trip to the Docs and the compulsory nut sack  & cough.:)

Edited by Remimax

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Thought BASC had something published recently about this and how to counter it. @David BASC might be able to say if I've lost the plot or not. 

BASC are just offering a service where you pay a GP that they put you in touch with to do the letter. It is not a way to counter it.

It is for those whose GP will not play ball or want an extortionate fee.

Edited by Newbie to this

18 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

BASC are just offering a service where you pay a GP that they put you in touch with to do the letter. It is not a way to counter it.

It is for those whose GP will not play ball or want an extortionate fee.

Ah, so not as good as I thought. Seems they (the authorities) want to say we're loons until proven otherwise... 

I had my SGC renewal back last week from South Wales Police a week earlier than expected.

I had to wait 6 weeks for my GP to have guidance from the Medical Council to decide whether they would fill in the form and return to the Firearms Dept.

My GP is going to charge between £150 - £200 for the information.

As I was only the second person to have this done since the new information is required, I was only charged £50 because I had to wait 6 weeks.

To be honest the GP was quick after having the confirmation and guidance from the Medical Council and rang me immediately to tell me they had sent the email to the Firearms Dept.

I was interviewed by 2 officers a week earlier on renewal and was told the interview was being recorded on the officers body camera.

I had no objections as I had nothing to hide.

I thought it was a bit over the top .

Have to say it all seems WAY over the top. I'm in northern ireland and on one of my renewals I had to put down that I had been on anti depressants for a while and was off them now etc. The firearms dept contacted my doctor for some information about that. Well my gp called me up and we arranged an appointment and we filled things in together so she was satisfied I was of no risk etc an all that. No charges or anything for it as it's not really a medical exam of me it was just going thru notes making sure all was in order and they emailed or sent the letter off. Renewal was processed as normal with no issues.

this is a ploy by the police to shift blame onto a gp should things go wrong which will fail the first time they try it because a gp will call endless experts who will confirm your state of mind can change in a instant and the tax payer will then have a huge bill for compensation to the gp common sense and the police have always been strangers 

Hi David BASC, my GP is against shooting and Country Sports and he told me, he was only going to participate because of the large number of farmers within the community and the practice would suffer if they didn't sign the questionnaire required by the Police in the future.

He is one of six GPs at the practice, but he is the one who is going to sign the questionnaires from the Police .

I find it hard to believe I can have access to my medical files from my GP and at no charge, but to sign my medical questionnaire it is £150 - £200.

At one stage after after countless phone calls from the Police, regarding the form not being signed and returned to them by the GP, I was going to contact BASC.

Can you tell me what the BASC medical members are charging for this service ?

55 minutes ago, Shambam1962 said:

Hi David BASC, my GP is against shooting and Country Sports and he told me, he was only going to participate because of the large number of farmers within the community and the practice would suffer if they didn't sign the questionnaire required by the Police in the future.

He is one of six GPs at the practice, but he is the one who is going to sign the questionnaires from the Police .

I find it hard to believe I can have access to my medical files from my GP and at no charge, but to sign my medical questionnaire it is £150 - £200.

At one stage after after countless phone calls from the Police, regarding the form not being signed and returned to them by the GP, I was going to contact BASC.

Can you tell me what the BASC medical members are charging for this service ?

If @David BASC doesn't get back to you, these guys may be able to help.

https://medcert.co.uk

21 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

I had my SGC renewal back last week from South Wales Police a week earlier than expected.

I had to wait 6 weeks for my GP to have guidance from the Medical Council to decide whether they would fill in the form and return to the Firearms Dept.

My GP is going to charge between £150 - £200 for the information.

As I was only the second person to have this done since the new information is required, I was only charged £50 because I had to wait 6 weeks.

To be honest the GP was quick after having the confirmation and guidance from the Medical Council and rang me immediately to tell me they had sent the email to the Firearms Dept.

I was interviewed by 2 officers a week earlier on renewal and was told the interview was being recorded on the officers body camera.

I had no objections as I had nothing to hide.

I thought it was a bit over the top .

Bit over the top is a understatement mate,i live on the wirral and my authority is merseyside,they have been requesting the letters since last year,i have a great gp it cost nothing,he said they are your records so why would we charge you,i droped off the letter on monday it was ready by thursday,if he can do it for free why cant other gps do it.

10 hours ago, gemini52 said:

Bit over the top is a understatement mate,i live on the wirral and my authority is merseyside,they have been requesting the letters since last year,i have a great gp it cost nothing,he said they are your records so why would we charge you,i droped off the letter on monday it was ready by thursday,if he can do it for free why cant other gps do it.

My GP was the same, handed it in ready 3 days later no charge, after hearing all the horror stories in Scotland was not sure what to expect but mine were excellent as were the police, the whole renewal process was problem free and quick

Edited by button

FEOs are pretty good at judging character but you can put what you like on the application form. They can only check your police record. Surely it's good that they ask for a second opinion on details they cant be aware of. For instance that you actually are a screaming nut case only held together with medication. It's the doctors who "in some cases" are causing bother!

Before you post be aware that for nearly ten years I worked for the NHS around "not with" patients in a mental home. Some of who were far better educated than me and with medication appeared perfectly normal but would not be trusted with anything pointy.

Edited by DUNKS

I’m with West Mercia,  considering how busy they are the service is faultless. Renewal has just been done, the majority done on line. My GP received a letter 3 days after I submitted my renewal and I was not charged for his response. My buddy who lives just down the road applied for his and his Mrs initial application. His GP wanted £150 each for what amounts to 10 mins work. Nice earner if you can get it.

Just had my SGC renewed in Cheshire, fee was £45, it said on the renewal form medical records are not acceptable you must have a statement from your doctor, however it went on to say the ultimate decision in granting a licence lies solely with Cheshire police. As regards cost my brother who is in a different surgery 2 miles from my surgery has been quoted £150 for the same service, so he's moving to my surgery and saving himself £105. The whole doctor thing needs to be nationally organised. 

3 hours ago, David BASC said:

I agree. It's not acceptable that there now exists a post code lottery. It is very regrettable that shooters have been left in this situation and BASC will continue to strive to find a solution.

The solution surely is for BASC to take the matter to the high court and get it settled/