Powerful air rifle for rabbits

Burney

On 28/01/2020 at 21:31, Leach said:

Is shooting rabbits for a strew pcp type fully charged with decent quality hunting pellets 

? 😲🤔

I'll guess. 

Yes you can shoot rabbits if you have land/permission, yes you can put them in a stew. The pcp dosent have to be fully charged, just within its sweet spot usually, decent quality hunting pellets is a deffo, normally the domed ones but which ever is most accurate at the ranges your shooting over. 😏

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2020 at 23:23, Farmboy91 said:

The gov website around rabbit shooting changed at the end of last yea to believe, I was looking into the other day as one perm has rabbit problems, they are coming in from a disused quarry next door.

Probably worth reading up if you haven't looked lately.

You got a link for that matey?  Just had a look on gov.uk and couldn't see owt obvious. 

27 minutes ago, manthing said:

You got a link for that matey?  Just had a look on gov.uk and couldn't see owt obvious. 

If I can work out how to do it I'll stick it on 👍 

Edit, just had another look and I can't see it now either 😂 I must have imagined it but I'm sure I saw *updated November 2019*.

Edited by Farmboy91

On 26/01/2020 at 21:36, Burney said:

I looking at getting a powerful air rifle for shooting rabbits has anyone got anything for sale or recommend a decent gun that doesn’t cost a fortune 

i have few guns here if your still looking for one ?   rapid mk1 and mk2 or a mint Gamo Coyote

I use my Air Arms S400 (single shot) with the add on 8 shot mag, its sub 12, .177, will kill effectively out to 35 yards with a decent weight hunting pellet, for everything I need to control, rats,rabbits,woodies,ferals, grey squirrels even the odd crow or magpie if I can get close enough, it has a very flat trajectory, pinpoint accuracy and total reliability, it cost around £300 and has proved one of my best investments, highly recommended.

Edited by lakeside1000

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Placement not power is better. I've shot rabbits with a .22 Hornet and at the last moment they've moved their heads and the bullet has hit the jaw. Close to the brain buyt nit close enough that the poor creature didn't run off and a dog had to be sent for it. Placement not power.

👍

On 26/01/2020 at 21:36, Burney said:

I looking at getting a powerful air rifle for shooting rabbits has anyone got anything for sale or recommend a decent gun that doesn’t cost a fortune 

What sort of distance do you plan to shoot them at? Most 12fpe PCP rifles are accurate enough for up to 35 - 40 yards to ensure a clean kill. Anything more than that and you can just end up with injured rabbits. Don't even think about shooting at anything until you can consistently hit a 2p sized target at 30 - 35 yards.

Forget springers, unless you have enough experience with them, and by the sound of it, you don't.

FAC air rifles, perhaps 30 - 40 fpe for example, can extend the distance to 50 - 80 yards.

There will always be somebody who claims to be able to kill rabbits at 200 yards with a sub 12fpe rifle. If you believe that, you'll believe anything.