Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Burney

Powerful air rifle for rabbits

Recommended Posts

I looking at getting a powerful air rifle for shooting rabbits has anyone got anything for sale or recommend a decent gun that doesn’t cost a fortune 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Burney said:

I looking at getting a powerful air rifle for shooting rabbits has anyone got anything for sale or recommend a decent gun that doesn’t cost a fortune 

hello, what sort of money are you wanting to spend, springer/pcp, 177 or 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a question with a million answers 😂 

Budget? 

Caliber? 

Style - pcp or spring? 

Range? 

Ftlb? 

New/secondhand? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I carry a air arms s510 carbine in the land rover most days two years on still dropping everything like a lazer never lets me down proper quality tool can’t fault it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use HW100SK, cal .20 awesome for Rabbits. And wood pigeons. Depends how much you want to spend . 

 

Edited by .20 Hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is shooting rabbits for a strew pcp type fully charged with decent quality hunting pellets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2020 at 21:31, Leach said:

Is shooting rabbits for a strew pcp type fully charged with decent quality hunting pellets 

? 😲🤔

I'll guess. 

Yes you can shoot rabbits if you have land/permission, yes you can put them in a stew. The pcp dosent have to be fully charged, just within its sweet spot usually, decent quality hunting pellets is a deffo, normally the domed ones but which ever is most accurate at the ranges your shooting over. 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're quite rare where I live, all this flooding won't have helped with their low numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, figgy said:

They're quite rare where I live, all this flooding won't have helped with their low numbers.

Do you think the flooding may wash away this RHD2, and allow the numbers to recover?

There have been non here for 3 years or more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know, longbower. I don't believe the rhd2 was naturally occurring though.

Edited by figgy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my AAs410 extra fac now and again for rabbits if I fancy a change and its spot on and not to bad priced if you can find one, no where near that of a daystate or some rapids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gov website around rabbit shooting changed at the end of last yea to believe, I was looking into the other day as one perm has rabbit problems, they are coming in from a disused quarry next door.

Probably worth reading up if you haven't looked lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2020 at 23:23, Farmboy91 said:

The gov website around rabbit shooting changed at the end of last yea to believe, I was looking into the other day as one perm has rabbit problems, they are coming in from a disused quarry next door.

Probably worth reading up if you haven't looked lately.

You got a link for that matey?  Just had a look on gov.uk and couldn't see owt obvious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, manthing said:

You got a link for that matey?  Just had a look on gov.uk and couldn't see owt obvious. 

If I can work out how to do it I'll stick it on 👍 

Edit, just had another look and I can't see it now either 😂 I must have imagined it but I'm sure I saw *updated November 2019*.

 

Edited by Farmboy91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/01/2020 at 21:36, Burney said:

I looking at getting a powerful air rifle for shooting rabbits has anyone got anything for sale or recommend a decent gun that doesn’t cost a fortune 

i have few guns here if your still looking for one ?   rapid mk1 and mk2 or a mint Gamo Coyote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I use my Air Arms S400 (single shot) with the add on 8 shot mag, its sub 12, .177, will kill effectively out to 35 yards with a decent weight hunting pellet, for everything I need to control, rats,rabbits,woodies,ferals, grey squirrels even the odd crow or magpie if I can get close enough, it has a very flat trajectory, pinpoint accuracy and total reliability, it cost around £300 and has proved one of my best investments, highly recommended.

Edited by lakeside1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Placement not power is better. I've shot rabbits with a .22 Hornet and at the last moment they've moved their heads and the bullet has hit the jaw. Close to the brain buyt nit close enough that the poor creature didn't run off and a dog had to be sent for it. Placement not power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Placement not power is better. I've shot rabbits with a .22 Hornet and at the last moment they've moved their heads and the bullet has hit the jaw. Close to the brain buyt nit close enough that the poor creature didn't run off and a dog had to be sent for it. Placement not power.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/01/2020 at 21:36, Burney said:

I looking at getting a powerful air rifle for shooting rabbits has anyone got anything for sale or recommend a decent gun that doesn’t cost a fortune 

What sort of distance do you plan to shoot them at? Most 12fpe PCP rifles are accurate enough for up to 35 - 40 yards to ensure a clean kill. Anything more than that and you can just end up with injured rabbits. Don't even think about shooting at anything until you can consistently hit a 2p sized target at 30 - 35 yards.

Forget springers, unless you have enough experience with them, and by the sound of it, you don't.

FAC air rifles, perhaps 30 - 40 fpe for example, can extend the distance to 50 - 80 yards.

There will always be somebody who claims to be able to kill rabbits at 200 yards with a sub 12fpe rifle. If you believe that, you'll believe anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...