Do you have a moment... market research

Doc Holliday

Hey guys! I'm in need of your help please. I've been asked by a dear friend for my help. Unfortunately, the kind of thing they need answers to are for the kind of things where I'm a bit of a dinosaur, I'm afraid. They're doing some research in to the choices we make on a daily basis when it comes to consumption and how our attitude to that is changing. What new products or types of things you have started consuming/using or are thinking of starting/using soon (to include food, travel, services, software, apps, etc.) or are there a y new shops, trends or brands that you've seen emerging and being popular among the younger generation. Thanks in advance. 

If it’s any help, I detest large chain shops and how they dominate the high streets and retail parks. If, for example, I am buying furniture or accessories for the house, I like to purchase things that are different and not likely to be possessed by the masses. I don’t want people coming in to my home and thinking that’s from Next or SCS, etc. I like to shop in places where shops are independent and individual. Unfortunately, these high streets are like hen’s teeth these days. I am sick to death of chains, charity shops and vaping shops.

I also, like most people, enjoy a bargain. Even those are becoming harder to find and I see a lot of products that have a tiny or no discount off the RRP.

I do buy the majority of things off the internet (usually Amazon), but that is because the things I tend to buy, I can’t find locally.

One thin I have noticed is, when we go to Meadowhall, it surprises me how many shops have very few, or no, customers in them. Yet, whenever I pass the Apple store, it is absolutely heaving from the moment it opens to closing time. The customers are mostly youngsters. What I would like to know is, are the majority of those people in there to purchase, or are they just browsing?

One thing is obvious these days, no matter how hard-up people are, they always find money for their mobile phones.

I hop this is the kind of information that your friend requires. If not, please clarify so we can give information closer to what they are after.

Cheers, MD

This is an interesting subject. I think many people have a kind of love/hate relationship with huge corporations like Amazon. In principle they have this nagging feeling that they shouldn't really approve of Amazon, and that smaller retailers are being squeezed, but then if something you want is cheaper on Amazon, you're probably going to get it from them. EDIT; added to which, you'll get it the next day without having to leave the sofa. 

I was recently chatting with one of the people who set up a very well known clothing chain and he reckoned that the future of the high street was that 'destination' places (like Bath or Cheltenham) would probably be OK, because people go for more than the shopping. He predicted more of a slide to charity/betting/pound shops in the less fashionable places. 

Parking is also an issue. In the Cotswolds where I live there is always pressure on councils to keep parking free so people are more likely to visit local shops. 

Edited by Thunderbird

13 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

This is an interesting subject. I think many people have a kind of love/hate relationship with huge corporations like Amazon. In principle they have this nagging feeling that they shouldn't really approve of Amazon, and that smaller retailers are being squeezed, but then if something you want is cheaper on Amazon, you're probably going to get it from them. EDIT; added to which, you'll get it the next day without having to leave the sofa. 

I was recently chatting with one of the people who set up a very well known clothing chain and he reckoned that the future of the high street was that 'destination' places (like Bath or Cheltenham) would probably be OK, because people go for more than the shopping. He predicted more of a slide to charity/betting/pound shops in the less fashionable places. 

Parking is also an issue. In the Cotswolds where I live there is always pressure on councils to keep parking free so people are more likely to visit local shops. 

The other attraction with Amazon is convenience. Especially for those of us who live rurally. If I only need one or two items, I would have to do a ten mile round trip to the nearest town (better than average high street, but still limited), or seventy mile round trip to nearest city. As an Amazon Prime member, I can get most things delivered next day, including Saturday and Sunday. Not worth getting the car out, especially as I usually get stung for parking as well.

I know I pay a monthly charge for Prime membership, but I do get Amazon Music and Video as well.

With regards to fruit and veg, meat etc, I like to use the independent shops and I don’t mind paying a little extra for quality. Another benefit is that I don’t have to dispose of all that plastic packaging that the supermarkets seem to love.

We certainly don’t shop at chain stores (except for Food/groceries)......overpriced carp, generally poor quality, do a fair bit of internet purchasing though and I like a rummage around the car boots and charity shops....but even they are getting expensive.....but I have had some massive bargains in the past...........not so much lately though! :no:

1 minute ago, The Heron said:

The high Street shop is finished I buy everything on the Internet to go to the nearest town cost £5 in fuel and then they want up to £10 for parking. 

I will miss the high street - honestly. It has the odds stacked against it - business rates the same as an Amazon warehouse, and extortionate car parking fees putting people off coming in to buy their stuff.

The last time we went into the nearest City (Chester) as a family was to attend the Christmas Market as our youngest likes to go their to buy presents for the family - only there for 1.5 hours and I remember that it cost quite a few quid for the parking. We didn't spend anything in the shops

our local town is £1 for 3 hours. There is a market which makes it hard to park 2 days of the week - but there is quite a few empty shops with the rest being Charity, hair dressers/barbers and bookies. Not much to warrant a visit

5 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of barber shops in the last few years? The small town I moved from where I still go from time to time has no less than three (plus of course plenty of ladies hairdressers), the population can't be more than 3000 or so. 

And car wash businesses, they are everywhere.

51 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of barber shops in the last few years? The small town I moved from where I still go from time to time has no less than three (plus of course plenty of ladies hairdressers), the population can't be more than 3000 or so. 

5 years ago we had two. there are seven now! All within two miles

51 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

A lot seem to be Turkish

41 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Yeah that's true. Hand car wash businesses didn't seem to exist 10 years ago.

Maybe the barber shop increase is due to the hipster movement, what with the beard trimming and all. 

Eastern Europeans, don’t mind doing the jobs we don’t want to do. They spotted a hole in the market and filled it to overflowing.

3 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of barber shops in the last few years?

YES!

We have several new ones - mostly eastern/Kurdish I believe. 

2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I wonder if many people tot up how much they spend on coffee from these joints? 

I have only once - when I discovered how much it cost for (an admittedly quite good) black coffee (my usual form of taking coffee).  I'll stick to my flask thanks.

6 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

Hey guys! I'm in need of your help please. I've been asked by a dear friend for my help. Unfortunately, the kind of thing they need answers to are for the kind of things where I'm a bit of a dinosaur, I'm afraid. They're doing some research in to the choices we make on a daily basis when it comes to consumption and how our attitude to that is changing. What new products or types of things you have started consuming/using or are thinking of starting/using soon (to include food, travel, services, software, apps, etc.) or are there a y new shops, trends or brands that you've seen emerging and being popular among the younger generation. Thanks in advance. 

Being middle aged and having everything we need, I am looking to shed possessions rather than acquire new ones. What I am doing is looking for more ethical swaps for things I use regularly. I'd love a good thick corn starch bin bag for the black bin for example. Little things like interdental brushes could be less wasteful. I definitely want it delivered though. 

2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Coffee shops seem to be massive business too (the modern variety), I have never noticed one ever shut. I wonder if many people tot up how much they spend on coffee from these joints? 

Coffee shop? never use em! Too expensive! You can buy a jar of instant, for the cost of a paper cup of watered down tar! Lol!

Eastern European car washes....no longer use em since the local hand wash increased the price from £3 to £5........profiteering *******! :rolleyes:

Clothes wise is out of town outlet stores or on line. Work and gym gear is cheap stuff from primark. 

Food stuff is a mixture of asda or tesco depends on which way I drive home. 

Fishing gear I use a local shop near my place of work in S****horpe, cartridges I buy from the clay ground. 

That about covers it 

Coffee I buy one a day from McDonald's first thing in the morning, I have one from a decent instant when I'm home. 

22 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

The centre of St Austell has just completely died in the last seven years or so. It has a precinct which wasn't the best but adequate in its own way. Shops fell empty and the pound shops and charity shops moved in but even they are going now. Locals call it St Awful. 

My Stepdaughter won't even walk through it on the way to the station because of the vagrants etc that sit around on the benches all day

Edited by Vince Green