Blue dot/Cheddites lead

Loaded up a small batch of 1.5 oz blue dot rounds for the 12 today to finish the inland season off ,  using the green  cheddite 3" .Anyone used blue dot with lead ?I read on alliants site that 39 grains is popular with many wads in fiocchi cases that are i understand similar but not identical to the good ol cheddites.Im not the anal type when reloading but if someone has experience with blue dot/cheddites  and 1.5oz lead that would be handy--Gaulandi wad btw.

Edited by bishop

• 2 years later...
On 27/01/2020 at 21:40, hawkfanz said:

i used it years ago b4 the lead ban fired off 100,s of 1 1/2 oz no,1s,think i crammed it in with a mk3 plaswad.if u pm me i can email scan ofhercules reloaders page for fiocchi cases with blue dot.

You got that data there still????

no sorry bishop,throw it out to pw it was recomended by a guy called "homeloader"in shooting times he advocated large shot fired subsonic,i used loads of his data years ago on the foreshore but sadly discarded my notes years ago when i stopped fowling,someone out there may still have the data.regards john.

i still got my hercu

les handbook if needed.

2 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

is this any good to you.

2023-01-20_114930.jpg

Aye cheers.it all helps .I loaded a handful  of RTO rounds with  29 grain a few weeks back and it  patterned very well. But i felt a bit more velocity was needed. Thats backed up by the fact that 33 grains is the norm or thereabouts for a 1.5 oz lead load on this data sheet and others i have seen now  And those are star crimped so i reckon for a half decent blue dot cartridge  with a speed of say 1200fps and  with  RTO  finish 35 grains should not be unreasonable with a cx2000 primer .

Edited by bishop

Mind back in the late 70s or early 80s when i was a teenager we had no chrono this or pressure testing that. we just had to work a load up and that was that. Or pick them from within shooting times magazine now and then. i mind my old man saying "just to the lip" of the brass when using  hand reloading tools and of course being young id pop a few extra grains on top of the cut down once fired alphamax cases, to make sure i got that goose!!!. these were the days when as the local car mechanic at Guardbridge would say" you will be fine ,just keep your legs well braced" when he shared a few  of his wax sealed homeloaded Gevelot 3" super dooper magnums.  His homeloads shook more than one gun about. Even sheared the bolt of a marlin 10 bore goose gun !!.Thankfully we have technology to keep ourselves safe nowadays but its all still down to common sense at the end of the day .I always keep the loads "less"  rather than "more" until im sure the load actually feels like it needs "more" but i agree 100% with BB and the like 1100fps  is plenty enough on many load tables .i find that with the black powder for example  the shot kills just as dead and the speed is always modest.

2 hours ago, bishop said:

Mind back in the late 70s or early 80s when i was a teenager we had no chrono this or pressure testing that. we just had to work a load up and that was that. Or pick them from within shooting times magazine now and then. i mind my old man saying "just to the lip" of the brass when using  hand reloading tools and of course being young id pop a few extra grains on top of the cut down once fired alphamax cases, to make sure i got that goose!!!. these were the days when as the local car mechanic at Guardbridge would say" you will be fine ,just keep your legs well braced" when he shared a few  of his wax sealed homeloaded Gevelot 3" super dooper magnums.  His homeloads shook more than one gun about. Even sheared the bolt of a marlin 10 bore goose gun !!.Thankfully we have technology to keep ourselves safe nowadays but its all still down to common sense at the end of the day .I always keep the loads "less"  rather than "more" until im sure the load actually feels like it needs "more" but i agree 100% with BB and the like 1100fps  is plenty enough on many load tables .i find that with the black powder for example  the shot kills just as dead and the speed is always modest.

Little powder much lead shoots straight kills dead. So keep the velocity down was my mantra.

I once took the advice of a former Shooting Times contributor on a load for my 2 5/8” ten bore having corresponded with him for a while. Pretty damn punchy so sent a batch to the proof house. I was politely told they generated pressures akin to a proof load and warned not to use them!

On 20/01/2023 at 18:14, Dave at kelton said:

Little powder much lead shoots straight kills dead. So keep the velocity down was my mantra.

I once took the advice of a former Shooting Times contributor on a load for my 2 5/8” ten bore having corresponded with him for a while. Pretty damn punchy so sent a batch to the proof house. I was politely told they generated pressures akin to a proof load and warned not to use them!

🙄you know you've overdone it when the fore stock comes off in your hand and your sat on the floor with your lug holes ring !