What to do with this one..

Farmboy91

To alieve a bit of boredom I've decided to strip and refinish my little 410 folder, going to redo the stock and forend with Danish oil, then improve the wood to metal fit as it's not the best.

I'm undecided on how to finish the butt plate, the action is colour hardened any in pretty good shape but I'm not sure how easy this would be to replicate at home? Failing that I was think of going matte black just to keep it simple.

Screenshot_20200127-202727.png

24 minutes ago, ratass said:

is it steel or alloy,if steel use a blow torch,degrease the part then heat with torch,you should see a colour change to blue cool part the oil

JB

I might well give that a go, thank you.

22 minutes ago, prem1234 said:

If it's steel how about getting some gun blue and bluing it, could do some of the other metal work as well ?

I did think about this, but I'm tight and want to spend as little as possible 😂 

The action looks pretty good already and I'd hate to mess it up by trying to change it.

13 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I might well give that a go, thank you.

I did think about this, but I'm tight and want to spend as little as possible 😂 

The action looks pretty good already and I'd hate to mess it up by trying to change it.

take it slow maybe practice in a bit of scrap steel,sand off with wet an dry degrease an have a go

JB

To get a decent colour hardened finish make sure its free from oil and grease then heat it up to just short of glowing red then throw it into strips of offcuts of leather , enough to cover it then let it cool naturally. You should get some nice colour hardened steel at the end of the process. If you are not satisfied with the finish try again but get it hotter before putting it in the leather 

43 minutes ago, peck said:

To get a decent colour hardened finish make sure its free from oil and grease then heat it up to just short of glowing red then throw it into strips of offcuts of leather , enough to cover it then let it cool naturally. You should get some nice colour hardened steel at the end of the process. If you are not satisfied with the finish try again but get it hotter before putting it in the leather 

Thank you 👍 I'll have to have a search for some old leather, I'm probably going to go with heating then quenching in oil but it's handy to have plenty of options.

Using oil you are likely to get just a black finish, using leather you should get colour hardened finish.

12 minutes ago, peck said:

Using oil you are likely to get just a black finish, using leather you should get colour hardened finish.

Black wouldn't be too bad, the website I was looking on last night said the end colour would be defined by the colour you get the metal to before quenching. 

Might have to have a browse the charity shops to find something.