Flock v Standard decoys

rayo

16 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I prefer the flocked ones as the unflocked tend to shine, especially when it rains.

OB

I don't shoot in the rain!:big_boss:

Flocked are more expensive and the flocking will rub off.

You can get more unflocked half shells for the same money and put out a bigger pattern.:good:

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 07:53, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I don't shoot in the rain!:big_boss:

Flocked are more expensive and the flocking will rub off.

You can get more unflocked half shells for the same money and put out a bigger pattern.:good:

If you buy the right decoys, the flocking won't come off. I have some decoys that I have used for years that are still in pretty good condition. Poor flocked decoys will quickly lose their coating.

I've used cheap plastic ones for years. I add dead birds to the pattern. I also have some fuds that im not too keen on and dont seem to pull the birds as well as the cheap plastic ones but they take up less space.

A rotary and a flapper are nice to have and occasionally 1 will work and the other won't. Sometimes neither do the job. If you buy a rotary my advice is to get a light one as they tend to be quite heavy when carried over fields. 

A hat to hide your forehead is not to be underestimated and jdog has an extensive selection of oversized ones and can be considered the pigeon watch "hat connoisseur" should you need advice. I note he seldom uses plastic decoys preferring dead birds  and his flocked ones are probably older than me having seen better days but do the job just as well. 

The most important thing is to be where the birds want to be, if you find that magic spot it doesn't matter if it's flocked or not.

On 30/01/2020 at 16:58, Smokersmith said:

I use dead birds whenever I can.

For crows, I use flocked to great effect.

Another plus 1 for crows/corvids  I purchased a flocking kit (now mods don't get excited) and treated about a dozen of my crow decoys which had started to go shiny and they worked great, much better than before, ALTHOUGH if you look at crow plumage it is shiny.  Crazy. 

Edited by Walker570