Danish oil

Farmboy91

I've only ever used it on walking sticks

water down first coat with white spirit, subsequent coats make it slightly darker but not much. Is this for the stock project?

i have just refinished the stock on my newly acquired SxS....used Slippery "abbreviated Richards" Satin finish with very pleasing results. Original ,finish was varnish and looked awful, couldn't even see the grain.

ive got pics of before, during, after if you want a shuftie?

What dye do you recommend? I've tried some which I think were water based recently and they behaved like watered down paint sitting on top of the wood then just getting smudged around with Danish oil. I use alkanet oil on stocks but need something darker to mimic a stock.

Edited by Dibble

1 hour ago, Diver One said:

I've only ever used it on walking sticks

water down first coat with white spirit, subsequent coats make it slightly darker but not much. Is this for the stock project?

i have just refinished the stock on my newly acquired SxS....used Slippery "abbreviated Richards" Satin finish with very pleasing results. Original ,finish was varnish and looked awful, couldn't even see the grain.

ive got pics of before, during, after if you want a shuftie?

I've got a couple things on the go at the moment, I'm dabbling with stick making, that was what I originally brought the oil for, I'm also having a go at making a toilet roll holder 😂 ( trying to use up any off cuts) and then yeah most likely on the 410 stock. 

I'd definitely appreciate a look at those, I'll pm you 👍

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes Alkanet oil, I make my own and leave it soaking forever. It gives a lovely dark shade with a warm reddish tint.

After trawling the last 20 pages or so on here that's what I was thinking of using. I suppose it will come down to what the stock looks like once I've got the original finish off.

The stick is hazel stripped of its bark, the toilet roll holder is an off cut from that, it's had a couple coats so far and definitely had taken a colour, the stick is still naked so to speak. I'll give that Alkanet oil a look and have a practice on another off cut first. 

Cheers 👍

13 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

There are different colours of Danish oil I have some clear and also some cedar colour that I use on the sticks I do

image.jpeg

Thank you, that is a nice collection.

The one on the far right is the style I'm aiming for, managed to pick up some antler cheap on the bay. The oil I brought was the no nonsense stuff from screwfix after reading it on here somewhere.

Love the finish with Danish oil, it repays multi coats put on with 000 wire wool rested overnight and then 2000 grit W/D, repeat ad infinitum. After a previous post of mine on here I was advised to finish with beeswax, got some from slippery ***** and that is now my regime, I'm currently building a bass guitar and I will use this technique for the finish

Well my toilet roll holder is on about 9 coats now, just applied with an old flannel, no rubbing down or anything and it's staring to take on a nice colour. I got the bits to strip the stock today so I'm going to start that tomorrow. Hopefully by next week it will be ready for its first coat of oil. I was looking at using vasaline after seeing you say you used a small amount when finishing off.

11 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Looking good 😊

that grain will surely “pop” (to use an Americanism) when you get the oil in

Thank you 👍

Because of where the spilt was it's messed up the top half of the checkering, so I'm going to have to loose that then try and neaten it up a bit.

If my 686 doesn't sell in the next couple weeks I might have a go on that too now.

To keep it filter friendly, (and not end up like ditchy 🙈) I felt roughy as a badgers backside this morning, painkillers give me the sort of hangover feeling I used to get as a teenager 😂

Dragged myself up and gave the 410 stock it's first coat of Alkanet, going to wait for it to dry as I don't want it overly dark. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to cover the filler but it already looks better than when I started so I cant grumble. 

Already getting ants in my pants to put it back together.

Screenshot_20200210-135522.png