Danish oil

Farmboy91

7 coats in now, starting to give it a little buff with a microfiber cloth between coats, it's really surprised me what was hiding under that horrible finish that was on there before.

IMG-20200216-WA0002.jpg

The stick is now on its 16th coat, probably going to stop at 20 and finish it off with a peice of antler and some bits that were very kindly sent to me by old boggy. The bottom 3 inches of the stick is currently sat in some fresh engine oil, I saw the idea on here somewhere and hope it's enough to stop the bottom of the stick rotting out, it will be coming out of there tomorrow.

IMG-20200216-WA0003.jpg

Thank you, Yeah I'm glad I started it now, it's been an experience working left handed lol.

I've got a couple different bits for the bottom, I've got a couple 22mm copper end caps, a brass ferrule which came from OB, going to save that though for a future one I've got lined up. I did think of using an empty cart but thought it might rust out quickly?

Edited by Farmboy91

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yeah I'm glad I started it now, it's been an experience working left handed lol.

I've got a couple different bits for the bottom, I've got a couple 22mm copper end caps, a brass ferrule which came from OB, going to save that though for a future one I've got lined up. I did think of using an empty cart but thought it might rust out quickly?

Don't rust too quickly, pop the primer out and secure with a nice long screw.

When it gives up the ghost, undo the screw and put another one on.

I keep a few with high brassed washed heads.

I'll have a dig through the spent box and see what i can find, I know there's some high brass in there somewhere. I've got 3 magnets countersunk and glued in too so it's important whatever is is isn't to think so it's still got the strength to pick up empty cartridges. I suppose I could always spray it with a clear lacquer to help protect it a bit too.

On 15/02/2020 at 16:57, Farmboy91 said:

Yeah no rush at all, think I might have a go at the SB pump after this.

That will be interesting, mine is still lacquered and is at the back end of a long list of projects, the most recent of which was also treated with Danish oil, a Flying V bass guitar shown next to a hybrid jazz bass/telecaster that’s still in the raw. The Danish oil gives musical instruments a great feel as it does with gunstocks.F1A2DF9B-F801-42C0-B517-AE8A9042C1DD.jpeg.7fd956419b1e7327704269440f24c416.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Can anyone recommend something to take the tackey-ness off? The stock is dry but it's still a bit sticky to the touch.

As Tightchoke has said, a warm atmosphere is what is required. I've just finished a blackthorn stick using Danish oil and it was still sticky in the shed after a several days. Brought it into the house and it became dry and 'unsticky' within 24 hours.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Time, with a little airflow and a gentle warming. 

56 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

As Tightchoke has said, a warm atmosphere is what is required. I've just finished a blackthorn stick using Danish oil and it was still sticky in the shed after a several days. Brought it into the house and it became dry and 'unsticky' within 24 hours.

Lovely job, thank you both 👍

I'll bring both the stock and stick in then, hopefully come Monday they'll be fit to work on.