Sugar beet

kitchrat

For the 1st time, sugar beet is going to be grown on one of my permissions. Should I become excited? If so, at what stage of the growing cycle? Will they go for it when drilled. sprouting, harvested or not at all??

I have no idea on what to hope for, except there was some last year on the next farm, as I see chunks of beet on the surface after harvest, with no interest being shown. I hadn't spotted it at drilling time so don't know if it was attacked then.

Should I buy a few flats of ammo???

Cheers,

Kitchrat

very short window of opportunity...............day after...and if you are lucky a few days shooting after harvesting....and if it is drilled quickly after lifting...and few days there...as the birds will have seed and chuncks of beet to go at...............

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

very short window of opportunity...............day after...and if you are lucky a few days shooting after harvesting....and if it is drilled quickly after lifting...and few days there...as the birds will have seed and chuncks of beet to go at...............

As above John.

8 hours ago, 243deer said:

Deer usually have a munch on sugar beet so I would say take the opportunity to harvest some venison.

This. Every time on a new perm it's covered in roe. Also rabbits (that's how we got the perm as he 'likes' the deer). Buy some 4s instead and flush out some bunnies in a few months, then if its still there in the game season it holds phesant very well. 

On 30/01/2020 at 14:53, motty said:

As I have said in the past, I have shot a few 100 plus bags when beet has been harvested. I am still waiting for a few fields to be taken up.

I've been watching some beet fields getting lifted on my way to beating duties. So far, no interest from pigeons, they prefer the nearby OSR. Beet is fairly new to this area, maybe they don't know it's nice to eat??