Taking in a springer spaniel

Sean stoke

Morning all .

Just wondered if I could get some advice if you wouldn't mind . 

So my sister in law had a great idea to buy a springer last year with out putting in any thought what's so ever . It angers me to say this but  after only 8 months she wants it gone because she has 5 kids and complains it has wet accidents in the house and chews everything ( because shes to lazy to walk him ) . 

I wanted a bitch when the time is right to train for  beating . I am no where near intelligent yet to train a dog because I have never done it . 

If you were in my position would you take the sister in laws dog in or let it go as I have heard bitches are more loyal . 

Apologise if this post annoys any one 

At 8 months old there shouldn't be any bad habits that can't be ironed out, I think this bitch could be ideal for you, time affection treats plenty exercise and basic training to begin with and you could well be very pleasantly surprised. Springers if given the affection and exercise with commands to follow are very loyal and will do anything to please, keep there heads busy , give them puzzles like knots in a rope to undo and they will be in there element, a lot of the things this bitch is doing now she is doing out of boredom.

Edited by rapid .25

you say him so we are talking about a dog dog. The pup's behaviour is par for the course due to it's age and the lack of stimulus in the form of gentle, fun training and exercise, if you took him on you could expect him to calm down (relatively) by the age of two,  perhaps18 months. Dog rescue homes are full of dogs (often spaniels) under the age of two because people don't understand that they need time to mature and will soon become calmer.

If you take him on get a dog crate (of an appropriate size) for him to sleep in overnight, this will save the furniture. We do this with our dogs, they see the crate as a safe place to sleep and miss it when we take it away when they are 18-24 months.

Springers vary quite a bit in temperament, some can be a bit hyper and some are laid back, we have had both, whatever it is it will benefit from regular training. You could go to a local spaniel club which would train you as much as the dog, regular training (10 minutes a day to start with) will bring out the best in him and he will respect you for it. The old saying that Labradors are born half trained and Springers die half trained has an element of truth in it.

Edited by martinj

Mine used to be crated in the kitchen overnight however over the last few months we can just leave the doors open, he will free roam about the house, sleep on the sofa at night etc. 

Doesn’t make a nuisance of himself and comes and gets me up in the morning 🤣

My only worry about having a pup that a non-gundog person has is your dont know what faults they might have put in. 

Have those 5 kids been playing tug of war with the dog? Have they told it off for stealing their shoes and now it won’t retrieve?

Is it so frustrated from never being walked it now whines and squeaks? Or from excitement cos it’s never been taught to settle? 

1 hour ago, rapid .25 said:

At 8 months old there shouldn't be any bad habits that can't be ironed out, I think this bitch could be ideal for you, time affection treats plenty exercise and basic training to begin with and you could well be very pleasantly surprised. Springers if given the affection and exercise with commands to follow are very loyal and will do anything to please, keep there heads busy , give them puzzles like knots in a rope to undo and they will be in there element, a lot of the things this bitch is doing now she is doing out of boredom.

Sorry got confused with the sex of this however the principles are the same, my own Springer is a dog and also the first spaniel I have trained, ( I've had lurchers all my life), he is now 2yrs 8 months old and I can honestly say I couldn't have asked for anything better, he's brilliant on the beating team and also picks up when I have him on the shooting peg with me, 

Sorry to say it but sounds like your sister is a bit of an idiot on many fronts.  Yes, by all means SAVE that little dog but be aware you have probably a year of concentrated hard work ahead.

The suggestions above are all good.  Start from day one with as many walks as you can fit in ON A LEAD and use these to make the pup realise it has a new owner who will not tolerate inherited stupid behaviour.  No pulling at all, short lead and stop and start frequently making the dog sit every time. Then praise.  The crate is an excellent idea. My friend had one for his spaniel and it became his(the dogs) home and he would go in there as and when it wanted and was shut in during the night.   I am certain you will prevail as from your comments you realise why the poor dog is in the state it is.   I wish you well and hope you succeed. It is not easy. I took in a GSP at 10 months which did not even know it's name and had been kicked and abused by a manic woman. It took 6 months for him to trust my wife but in the end it was her lap he prefered to climb on. He was one of the best hunting dogs I have ever owned and never told me a lie.   It can be done have faith.

I wouldn't believe the bitches are more loyal thing. I was told when I got my late cocker at 8 weeks old to get a bitch as she will be easier trained as a first dog. Well I can't remember where I read the quote and I suppose it's not politically correct these days but it went something like "there is always the dog that seems gay...and the bitch that could break the heart of a wooden god" 

I suspect I read it in Joe Irvings book on gundog training but my cocker bitch was one stubborn headstrong wee dog right til the day I held her as she passed away! Loyal yes but headstrong all the same.

At 8 months old I think this could be the perfect time. I reckon a change of scenery and change of pace will be the making of that dog, take it and get a good book...really recommend Joe Irvings books and you should be able to have that pup well trained and sorted maybe even enough to beat with next season

Edited by Rob85
Grammer and spelling

Thank you for all the positive feedback and giving me a positive look into this situation.  

By the weekend I am going to take him in and let him get use to the new surroundings of a new home . Would it be best if I let him him settle in for six months before any training was giving or would you say straight away .

Thank you all for being understanding. 

From the moment he enters your home. TRAINING doesn't only involve finding birds and retrieving. You need a solid well behaved dog then you can teach it to hunt and retrieve.

Once you are happy he will respond to you and do as it is told then you can start the 'hunting' bit.  There is a dog on a shoot I go on and it never gets let off the lead and constantly barks all day and leaps about the place.  Why it is there I don't know. I would be mortified if I had a dog like that.  Shoot owners in the past have always invited my dogs and hopefully that is how you will finish with your new pal.  Hope it all works out and sounds like the pup has a great new companion as well.

at his age you can start with good manners and acclimatisation with people and other dogs and work up from there. Sitting and waiting before being fed at every meal would be a good goal. Walks should be short while his joints are young. Let him play briefly with your rolled up socks and get used to letting you take them, make it  a game. Puppy lessons should be short and fun.

Edited by martinj

I have 2 males springers (both rescue) and I always do the same first thing - take him out to a totally unknown area and make him sit - then walk away, don't look back until you are at least 50 yards away from where you left him - if the Dog is going to be easy to train then when you turn around he will be there with you - he accepts you as Alpha. Avoid putting him on a lead unless absolutely necessary, personally I believe that a Dog on a lead has one desire - to get away. If he has been on a lead too much then when you remove it he will struggle to stay with you - he will want to run and explore and this is one of the first steps towards disobedience. Give him time and love/affection - do something he enjoys at the same time every night - play ball/hide treats etc then try and settle him on your lap and stroke him till he falls asleep - this bonding will play dividends as his trust grows in you. ENJOY - a Dog will change your life (and of those around you) for the better with patience and respect he will be the best friend you will ever have.

9 hours ago, Sean stoke said:

I am no where near intelligent yet to train a dog because I have never done it . 

Me neither - I was in no way born a countryman and many still say i'm an abbreviated version!! Having been brought up in the lush fields of Stepney and having previously owned several staffs, i got me a spaniel and a few books and spent several hours watching YouTube videos of BRITISH dog trainers - Without wishing any disrespect to our colonial cousins, ignore American content as it is generally very amateurish and misleading.

As Yellow Bear said - "Sit stay and recall and lead work from the moment you pick it up  = the rest can wait 'til it is settled", but personally i wouldn't bother with stay - If he's sitting, he's staying anyway!!

My dogs are never going to be field trial champions, but get the basics right and you'll be amazed - Your pleasure in shooting will also double or treble overnight with your little buddy by your side.

Good Luck

Why put pressure on the dog by sitting up and walk 50 yard's away hoping its going to still be there. Everything you do in the beginning do in the confines of the house and garden untill the dog starts to trust you, only then do other things with it.

Regarding dog's or bitches if the bond and training are done correctly it will make no difference at all, I believe it's just what some people say I just think its twaddle.

Best of luck just go slowly.

You do it your way B725 and i'll do it mine - there is no pressure on the Dog whatsoever - you simply use his uncertainty to encourage him to follow the one thing that he knows - you, it's worked for me that last 5 times that I have had new dogs and they all follow me without question, I do not punish or force them, simply use their natural instinct to join a pack.

I've never had a dog I couldn't train or socialize to an acceptable level as a pet, the key to it is first having the determination to learn yourself and most importantly putting in the time and effort, every day, come rain or shine and remember, positive training where possible always beats harsher methods.

I'd say that applies to any dog, whether a pup or older, so if your prepared to put the work in, do it and good luck.