Gloves for shooting?

Shearwater

Hi all, I was out yesterday and it was bitter and my hands were very cold so put a pair of borrowed gloves on and then lost feeling in my hands, which I guess was because they were already too cold. . . . . has anyone had the same and what brand of gloves do you now wear and has anyone found something like deep heat to work? Cheers lads

I've tried several but keep going back to golf gloves. Speaking for me only, it seems that anything which takes away sensitivity is a waste of time and even dangerous and so naturally, the materials gloves are made of are thin and therefore difficult to make more than a marginal difference.

I'm a big fan of Mac wets, they provide excellent dexterity when shooting. Not exactly waterproof but I find they do a good job of keeping the wind out. Brought them initially for clays but ended up using them for all my shooting.

If you go for them get a half size smaller than you actually need as they will stretch.

I was recently recommended macwets but told they must fit you correctly to work. I've had a look at them and they appear brilliant, but not sure I can justify the cost for the useage on my pension.

I have a lot of numbness in my hands anyway so only feel cold in my thumbs🙄

Unless it's really bitter I'm always no gloves and a hand warmer in each pocket.

Albeit I dont like shooting in gloves, I use sealskinz which are one of the few shooting type gloves that are actually waterproof. On dry cold days I use a couple of the chemical heat satchets in each pocket, cheap enough off the bay and they keep your hands warm all day.

Worst case scenario here with arthritis and just for fun, white finger, shooting SbS. When it gets really cold I'm pretty much forced to used Gripswell with the left hand heat shield and right hand palm swell.  Expensive, but when needs must. Even a slight summer evening chill is enough to set things off so flying gloves are the answer and for the average shooter, probably as good as you can get for general use.

I've tried some gloves given to me with a trigger finger that allows you to put your bare finger out onto the trigger to shoot and back into the glove when not shooting... wasn't a big fan so went back to the old reliables...the old fashioned fingerless gloves. Keep fingers moving to keep the circulation going as I suffer from white finger/HAVS.... not too bad but bad enough to be uncomfortable

I’ve had a pair of MacWets for around 15 years, they were worn once or twice and then put in a drawer; they’re still there somewhere. 
They were designed to aid grip when wet and are definitely NOT waterproof, so if it rains your hands will still get wet and therefore cold. 

I bought a pair of Sealskinz in Millets for about £33 at Christmas, they are great because they are waterproof (all apart from one finger,) keeping dry Is important for keeping the cold out. Having said that I don't like shooting with the right hand glove on because I want my trigger finger uncovered. Next time I'd go for a pair with a bare trigger finger option.

I also have some Sealkins but I hate wearing gloves anyway.  I have a pair of cheapy thermal gloves and I simply cut the trigger finger off.  I choose coats with hand warmer pockets and put a couple of those hand warmers you squeeze a bit and they heat up(99p for two), one in each pocket does the job for the day.

I really don't like wearing gloves when shooting but the Sealskinz work for me, I'm on my second pair, first pair lasted four seasons. I also tried cheapo Aldi neoprene gloves which were OK for a short while, they are good when walking/training the dogs though when handling dummies and tennis balls.

10 hours ago, Scully said:

I’ve had a pair of MacWets for around 15 years, they were worn once or twice and then put in a drawer; they’re still there somewhere. 
They were designed to aid grip when wet and are definitely NOT waterproof, so if it rains your hands will still get wet and therefore cold. 

Put a pair of "Black" disposable rubber gloves underneath, waterproof and warm

XOL it says on my gloves.   Don't know anything about them but they work.   Found them in a clothing shop in Bournemouth.   Had them about five or six years.   Fairly bulky but waterproof and warm.

If you always make sure that your gloves will fit into the trigger guard before you buy a new gun that is half the battle.   I use a semi-auto for fowling, three different rifles and a Mirouku for game.   I can shoot all of them with my gloves on.   OK, reloading is a bit slower but with my cartridges in an open pouch hung around my waist rather than in my pockets it is not a big problem. 

I have 3 pair of Macwets , which I use for clay shooting and they are superb for that job, however I recently used them for game shooting and they were fine until it rained. They then became the coldest thing ever on my hands, so much so I had to remove them. I use the Bisley wool Mitt/fingerless gloves off the bay £8.50. They have leather palms and a wool mitt that comes over the 1/2 finger glove. I keep the mitt over my left hand and just fold the right mitt back when shooting. I have also sprayed the backs with one of the waterproofing clothing sprays. They work fine, especially if you keep your hands in your coat pockets when not expecting a shot. The fleece backed imitation leather palmed winter golf gloves work well too at around £12 a pair. Anyone considering buying Macwets, look in the golf shops they are a lot cheaper there  !

Winter golf gloves, long wrists, fleece backed,grippy fingers and palms and around a tenner a pair for  last years colours on ebay, tried a few but Wilson staff afe my favourite 

Spray or wash in nikwax product for some waterproofing

Edited by Rupert