Giving up. DO IT NOW.

peck

one of the best things I did was give up, 200 a week, went cold turkey sort of , had been lain up bed bound for two weeks so decided to go one day at a time , 30 years on ..only time I nearly started again was at a buddies workshop , we were discussing a job at his bench trying to figure best way forward , I reached over took a ciggy out of his pack and just went to light it , if it wasnt for his help your fred king self comment I geuss I would be back hooked !  of course every time I went to his workshop after that he offered a ciggy because he tried but failed to give up. he passed with cancer, waste of a good man , if you can honestly you will never regret it .

second best thing , took up my license again and out with the twelve....brilliant

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I smoked 60 a day for twenty odd years , I was a real nicotine addict , I haven't had a cigarette for probably four years now , but I'm still a nicotine addict and rely very much on my vape . I hated smoking cigarettes but I do quite enjoy vamping. 

Ditto me.

I am totally addicted, not to the nicotine because there is none in my vape liquid but rather to the act of vaping itself. I enjoy it and happily stick to fingers up to anyone who looks down on me for doing so.

Couldn't agree more about giving up smoking though. Biggest driver for me (excepting the obvious health benefit) was not smelling like an ash tray. 

Been smoking since my early teens. I have tried everything from patches,tablets,vaping! I was smoking with the patches on! The vaping nearly killed me as I was using them incorrectly and smoking them like an ordinary cigarette.The ''Champix nearly sent me off my head as they didnt agree with me! 

I did manage to get off them for about 6 months but my hands crippled up and I couldn't use them. My girl was a baby at the time and I couldn't lift her out of the Cot in the mornings. I went to the doctor and he told me that it was my body reacting to stopping the smokes similar things happen to heroin addicts apparently. I started smoking again and they came alright.

Sometimes I hate them but I really do enjoy smoking. I might give the book a go soon.

Fair play to anyone who has quit.

Edited by SuperGoose75

Sometimes I get a whiff of a fag and think how nice it smells, other times I think it’s gross. 
An old boy who comes beating smokes cigars and a whiff of those reminds me of my Dad; smoking them undoubtedly took its toll on his health.

I sometimes dream I’ve started smoking again, and think ‘********!’ I’ve got to go through all that again; it’s such a relief when I wake up to discover it was just a dream. Awful awful drug. 

Started smoking at ten, then did 30 - 40 a day, when I could afford it, in a very stressful job. Two failed attemps but then at 55 I decided I`d had enough and, with appropriate mental preparation, I stopped. That was 10 years ago and I feel infinately better.

Once you`ve prepared yourself to quit mentally, it`s fairly straightforward. Good luck, and be strong, to those who are currently in the process.

4 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

Ditto me.

I am totally addicted, not to the nicotine because there is none in my vape liquid but rather to the act of vaping itself. I enjoy it and happily stick to fingers up to anyone who looks down on me for doing so.

Couldn't agree more about giving up smoking though. Biggest driver for me (excepting the obvious health benefit) was not smelling like an ash tray. 

But, how safe is vaping?

I've no idea, but The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is currently examining the deaths of two vapers, both of which occurred in the past year, amid concerns that they could have been caused by e-cigarettes. The MHRA has also received 20 reports of serious adverse health reactions to vaping. No smoke without fire, as they say.

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

But, how safe is vaping?

I've no idea, but The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is currently examining the deaths of two vapers, both of which occurred in the past year, amid concerns that they could have been caused by e-cigarettes. The MHRA has also received 20 reports of serious adverse health reactions to vaping. No smoke without fire, as they say.

vaping might or might not be damaging to your health , but one thing for sure , is that its not as bad for you as smoking .

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

vaping might or might not be damaging to your health , but one thing for sure , is that its not as bad for you as smoking .

Agreed, up to a point.

However...................

When I worked for the smoking cessation Co mentioned in my post, one series of our good selling poster sets was a re-creation of very early cigarette posters advertising the health giving virtues of smoking. Look where we are now.

Moreover, as you say, "vaping might or might not be as damaging to your your health". This raises the question "If you don't know whether it does or doesn't then why risk your health?

Took up vaping 12 months ago after nearly 60 years of smoking (son got me a vape for Christmas) only had one cigarette since (off the farmer when I lost my vape whilst out shooting) 

Only ever did a couple of days off cigarettes previously and found it extremely difficult but relatively easy with vaping.

Just got to get off the vape now but only on low nicotine.

Onward and upwards.

On 29/01/2020 at 20:21, Zapp said:

That's interesting.  I stopped drinking for 6 months when I quit the cigs as I knew I'd have no chance of staying strong  after a beer.

I still enjoy a pint but tobacco is long gone for me.

my old man never wanted a sweet Affton  until he had a draught gluiness  then a few pints and a few fags later  happy days      I never smoked but I likes a decent Guinness  however  a decent beer  gf   and I love Guinness I cant indulge  the pain  as enjoy Guinness too much 

Edited by Saltings

6 hours ago, Bobba said:

Agreed, up to a point.

However...................

When I worked for the smoking cessation Co mentioned in my post, one series of our good selling poster sets was a re-creation of very early cigarette posters advertising the health giving virtues of smoking. Look where we are now.

Moreover, as you say, "vaping might or might not be as damaging to your your health". This raises the question "If you don't know whether it does or doesn't then why risk your health?

I agree that it might be a risk , but I can be pretty sure that smoking would have already killed me by now , my blood pressure was through the roof , to the point that I could hardly see because of the blinding headaches. 

The reason that I still vape , despite the fact that it might be a risk , is that I'm a total nicotine addict.  I smoked 60 fags a day for years despite the fact that I hated smoking , it wasn't a choice , I just couldn't stop .

I once stopped smoking for 18 months , and after that long I was still having nightmares and mind bending cravings 24/7 . Hopefully I'll stop vaping one day , but until then , it's my best alternative. 

35 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I agree that it might be a risk , but I can be pretty sure that smoking would have already killed me by now , my blood pressure was through the roof , to the point that I could hardly see because of the blinding headaches. 

The reason that I still vape , despite the fact that it might be a risk , is that I'm a total nicotine addict.  I smoked 60 fags a day for years despite the fact that I hated smoking , it wasn't a choice , I just couldn't stop .

I once stopped smoking for 18 months , and after that long I was still having nightmares and mind bending cravings 24/7 . Hopefully I'll stop vaping one day , but until then , it's my best alternative. 

Interesting, but why did you start? You can't have known you were a nicotine addict!

Gosh Mel, how unfortunate for you. If you are interested in stoping one day then have you thought of NHS Stop Smoking Clinics? They were all the rage some time ago. They supply nicotine replacement products including gum, lozenges and stop smoking cessation tablets. All Probably healthier than vaping. Good Luck. Bob.

8 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Interesting, but why did you start? You can't have known you were a nicotine addict!

I wasn't a nicotine addict when I started dave (nobody is), and by the time I realised that I was , it was too late . I started for the same reason as most other people , because you see it as a bit cool and rebellious . At first it's just cool , then it becomes a habit , then it becomes an addiction.  I was lucky as I didn't suffer some of the other nasty side effects apart from high blood pressure,  I never had a smokers cough , I still used to play rugby , and I still did the three peaks challenge in 22 hours while puffing my way through 60 or more fags . The worst thing about stopping smoking was the weight that I put on , I'm slowly getting to grips with it now and I dropped five and a half stones last year . 

5 hours ago, Bobba said:

Gosh Mel, how unfortunate for you. If you are interested in stoping one day then have you thought of NHS Stop Smoking Clinics? They were all the rage some time ago. They supply nicotine replacement products including gum, lozenges and stop smoking cessation tablets. All Probably healthier than vaping. Good Luck. Bob.

I tried every possible way to stop ,the Alan Carr book worked fantastically for a month , then the cravings hit me like a car and I started again , hypnosis worked fantastically for two weeks(to the minute) then the cravings hit me like a car , nicotine patches just made me crave nicotine more and more . The only thing that has ever come close to working is vaping . When I smoked , even smoking a cigarette didn't take the cravings away,  some days it was so bad that I'd smoke up 100 fags (not often thankfully ) .I rarely even think about cigarettes now , and vaping does take the cravings away pretty much instantly , and if I run out of vape it's no biggie , I can just wait until I get home , or finish shooting etc , if I'd have ever run out of fags I'd have to stop what I was doing to get more.

The mad thing is that I hated just about every single cigarette that I smoked , they're just cack.

One thing that I do really miss now , is laying in the bath with a big fat Cuban cigar , oh yes sir , I used to feel like a king😊(but I used to have a couple of ciggies while I was smoking it).

On 29/01/2020 at 19:47, figgy said:

12 years for me, tried all my smoking life to pack in. Said if they bring out a tablet I'll take it. Champix got me stopped and my mam stopped a month after I did with tablets 

Whatever works to get you off the tobacco.

I have heard of that and the success rates are said to-be high but there are also lots of cases of bad side effects from the drug, did you suffer any and did they tell you before hand what the side effects were?

34 years for me, Them days there were no aids.

Tried the Pipe, Cigar's, Rolling my own, Even French Cig's but ended up liking the taste, Gitanes & Gouloirs. although I seem to remember one of them was a rolling tobacco :rolleyes:

So I remember saying to my Wife on the eve of the Budget that year if my Fags go up I aint smoking anymore and yep they went up and I stopped smoking..