Giving up. DO IT NOW.

peck

On 31/01/2020 at 16:01, figgy said:

Some people take it and don't want to give up, so use any excuse.

I have to say I find that comment a bit of a loose assumption and a bit disrespectful to be honest.

In my own case I went to the doctors and he prescribed me these tablets and he assured me they were very good. I knew nothing about them or their ''side effects. I started taking them and within a few days I was feeling very down and even had extreme dark thoughts.

I said these things to my wife as she knew to look at me that all wasn't well. She read the leaflet in the box and she then threw the whole box in the bin.

I read the leaflet and the possible side effects where endless. It could be said the quiting the fags will have withdrawal symptoms anyway but I had tried before and never experienced anything similar to what I did when taking these tablets.

Research online and you will see some horror stories relating to people using these tablets.

Whilst it's great that they worked for yourself without any major side effects, Its unfair to make the assumption that they will work for everyone and if they don't they are making excuses. 

They are a horrible addiction and my most successful attempt was going cold turkey. That is the time my hands crippled up!  I'd agree that you have to be mentally strong and go at it with a real intention of quitting. But that is easier said than done. All it takes is a stressful period in someone's life for them to reach for the fags again.

As I said previously, fair play to anyone who has quit, bit I wouldn't be quick to judge anyone who struggles with quitting.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suoergoose 75 I can only go off my findings. I had to attend a smoking cessation clinic to get my tablets. We were all monitered constantly, blow into meters to see if you had been smoking.

Loads who were there had been before and to other clinics ran by them. Started with about 40 on the course. After first week lost about ten. By the end it was down to about a dozen. Around four of them had smoked after the stop.period of two weeks in. But were warned and stayed off but they had to take them for longer.

I was chatting to lots of them as we were passing time waiting our turns. Lots were not that bothered about giving up but thought they would try the tablet. Some had bad nightmares for a week or two, others said no real side affects, if any were having dark thoughts they never said.

My being disrispectful I don't think I am. Some do use any excuse, I never said all.

I tried from 15 years old not long after starting to smoke to pack in, couldn't. Tried hypnotherapy, cold turkey loads, cigars even a pipe. You mentioned dark thoughts when I went cold turkey in my early twenties, I was so bad tempered after a fortnight I could have pulled someone's arms and legs off. I take from.your writing dark thoughts yours were more within yourself.

Some were what I'd call scumbags and wasters, only looking to stop to save money not because they really wanted to stop.

Your affects off the tablets were different to mine. 

On 30/01/2020 at 10:04, WestonSalop said:

Ditto me.

I am totally addicted, not to the nicotine because there is none in my vape liquid but rather to the act of vaping itself. I enjoy it and happily stick to fingers up to anyone who looks down on me for doing so.

Couldn't agree more about giving up smoking though. Biggest driver for me (excepting the obvious health benefit) was not smelling like an ash tray. 

I’m the other way, absolutely the most possible nicotine level in my vape juice. I gave up the fags 15 years ago, like a fool started again when I got divorced. Stopped again 6 years ago and suffered with chronic insomnia, it went on for about 3 months and I ended up of sleeping pills which were horrible things to quit. I went onto the vape back then (the horrible ones that looked like a cigarette) but since moving onto salt nic I’m vaping less and less. Hoping to drop down a level this month with a view to quitting ASAP, insomnia dependant.

It should be illegal it kills and thats a fact. Known 2 good friends who got the bad news and were not around for long sadly. Both hardened smokers who would all ways think its fine and my choice to smoke. But I bet both if they could go back and quit and get to still be with the love ones would do it in a jiffy. When you get that bad news there is no second chance 😞  You can't blast a duck with a bit lead because its so harmful yet you can help kill your self as quick as you like puffing away

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Hope you manage to pack in again Taileron. Worst addiction I know of.

Cheers Figgy. I told the Mrs that once Xmas was over and the kids were back at school I was going to pack the vape in for good. Funny that when I gave up boozing I didn’t struggle at all, smoking/vaping is a different matter.

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

It should be illegal it kills and thats a fact. 

Absolutely agree 100%, if the things were not available, I would never have started. 30 years later I’m still trying to give nicotine up in one form or another. Horrible stuff that I’m depending upon.

All the hoo ha over lead shot and plastic, yet smoking does kill and cause all sorts of damage to the human body. Yet it's allowed in public where others are breathing it in. They took lead out of petrol put dpfs in diesel cars. 

I hate all forms is governing rules like this but to still allow smoking. It should be illegal along with other drugs.

Edited by figgy

12 minutes ago, figgy said:

All the hoop ha over lead shot and plastic, yet smoking does kill and cause all sorts of damage to the human body. Yet it's allowed in public where others are breathing it in. They took lead out of petrol put dpfs in diesel cars. 

I hate all forms is governing rules like this but to still allow smoking. It should be illegal along with other drugs.

It will not stop people getting them, same as drugs.

6 hours ago, The Heron said:

I don't know how anyone can afford to smoke 60 a day not being a smoker I was astonished that they can cost £10 plus for 20 that's just £50 pounds shy of £11000 pounds a year. 

years ago (when i used to have a mortgage) , i used to spend more each month on smoking , than the cost of my home . money was never a problem because i always earned more than enough , but my god it was such a waste.

25 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Being a raging alcoholic may kill you but in moderation it won't. Smoking on the other hand may well do 

Yeah and smoking will not contribute to road deaths, violence etc, and all the other issues that can come with alcohol.

The evidence shows that alcoholic drinks of all types have a similar impact on cancer risk. ... Even small amounts of alcoholic drinks can increase the risk of several cancers. There is no threshold of alcohol consumption below which cancer risk does not increase, at least for some cancers.

What are the social and personal problems related to alcohol? Here is the UK data around alcohol-related crime, dependence and treatment, hospital admissions and deaths. Estimates of the overall societal costs of alcohol harm and regional variations are also shown.

Edited by ordnance

Well if I had to choose between being a drinker or a smoker from a long life point of view it would be the drink for me. This is from some one who's old man drank him self to death.  As it is I don't do either. I could still drop dead tomorrow. Life is a lottery but smoking is one of the worse things you can do I reckon to stack the odds against you. I don't care what others do and don't want to deprive any one of what they enjoy. But I have seen a few times the devastation and heart break the big C  can have and wouldn't wish it on any one 

Edited by captainhastings

3 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I dont get why all the discussion - if you want to give up then give up, stop whinging about how hard it is or what you're going to do to quit and when, what plan/tablet/hypnotist you are intending to use and just grow a pair. 

Why did no one think of that before,  :hmm:that could apply to a lot of addictions and mental health conditions etc. The new NHS advice could be just grow a pair. You should write to them with your advice i am sure they would be grateful for your input. 

On 29/01/2020 at 21:03, OJW said:

I'm 29 days in having smoked for around 14 years. I've tried and failed in the past but ,having recently turned 30, this time I'm determined to close the book on it. I've managed to stay strong while having a beer and while out shooting thus far. 

I am absolutely delighted to read this.

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I dont get why all the discussion - if you want to give up then give up, stop whinging about how hard it is or what you're going to do to quit and when, what plan/tablet/hypnotist you are intending to use and just grow a pair. 

That's the most cack stop smoking advice I've ever heard 😅.

8 hours ago, ordnance said:

Why did no one think of that before,  that could apply to a lot of addictions and mental health conditions etc. The new NHS advice could be just grow a pair. You should write to them with your advice i am sure they would be grateful for your input. 

Fully agreed.

I may try the grow a pair approach the next time I go out to miss a load of Skeet. I will repeatedly shout get better at myself and hopefully it will work. I will also speak to my buddy who survived a light aircraft crash which killed the pilot about his fear of flying and tell him to stop chainsmoking and grow a pair. 

Fantastic advice, why didn’t I think of it earlier.

At the risk of putting a slight downer on all this, I would query the magic self healing lung theory, although I have seen people get almost immediate health benefits after quitting.

My dad gave up 40 years before he died, he died of organ failure exacerbated by reduced lung capacity (COPD) and was on oxygen for 15 hours a day for the last 2 years of his life.

Of course he may just have been unlucky, we now someone who's nan smoked 80 a day all her life and played football until she died at 110 🙄

I have never smoked but I genuinely wish anyone who does the very best luck giving up, not just for you but your family and friends too

41 minutes ago, Dunkield said:

At the risk of putting a slight downer on all this, I would query the magic self healing lung theory, although I have seen people get almost immediate health benefits after quitting.

My dad gave up 40 years before he died, he died of organ failure exacerbated by reduced lung capacity (COPD) and was on oxygen for 15 hours a day for the last 2 years of his life.

Of course he may just have been unlucky, we now someone who's nan smoked 80 a day all her life and played football until she died at 110 🙄

I have never smoked but I genuinely wish anyone who does the very best luck giving up, not just for you but your family and friends too

Out of interest ,what job did your Dad have?

10 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Why would I want two pairs holding my mother's hand and watching her die was enough for me.