Giving up. DO IT NOW.

peck

18 minutes ago, Dunkield said:

Airport passenger services/customer relations - actually involved miles of walking each day.

I was woundering about the quality of the air where he worked, it's all well and good walking miles every day, but if you are breathing in stuff in the air then it's going to affect you, could the fumes from aircraft have been a contributory factor in his copd?or did he have a commute stuck in traffic daily breathing in other cars emmissions?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i said in my original post i gave up with the help of Vaping. People i think tend to think of vaping as stupid and unnecessary. If vaping is used sensibly as a method to help stop smoking  its the easiest way i think to give up. You see these idiots using these fancy vape machines who are puffing out great big clouds of vape and think its cool to do so.

The way i used vaping to help me stop was to buy a cheap vaping aid and use a reputable fluid made in the UK or USA, and NOT some **** imported from god knows where containing god knows what. I tried several flavours before settling on a menthol one containing .17 nicotine, i was not bothered how long it was going to take to to quit so i did not hurry going down to the next level of nicotine which was .12 this i did after about 12 months. I carried on with this strength for about another 12 months before i went down again to .08, i used this for about 2 years before one day as i said i did not need to vape any more, i was an ex smoker and no longer dependant on nicotine.

I used this firm, they have all the basic equipment you need and are not too expensive as long as you do not go down the idiot route

https://www.vampirevape.co.uk/new-to-vaping

https://www.vampirevape.co.uk/vaporesso-orca-solo-starter-kit-4-bottles-of-liquid.html

If i can help anyone please send me a PM

Edited by peck

8 minutes ago, peck said:

As i said in my original post i gave up with the help of Vaping. People i think tend to think of vaping as stupid and unnecessary. If vaping is used sensibly as a method to help stop smoking  its the easiest way i think to give up. You see these idiots using these fancy vape machines who are puffing out great big clouds of vape and think its cool to do so.

The way i used vaping to help me stop was to buy a cheap vaping aid and use a reputable fluid made in the UK or USA, and NOT some **** imported from god knows where containing god knows what. I tried several flavours before settling on a menthol one containing .17 nicotine, i was not bothered how long it was going to take to to quit so i did not hurry going down to the next level of nicotine which was .12 this i did after about 12 months. I carried on with this strength for about another 12 months before i went down again to .08, i used this for about 2 years before one day as i said i did not need to vape any more, i was an ex smoker and no longer dependant on nicotine.

I used this firm, they have all the basic equipment you need and are not too expensive as long as you do not go down the idiot route

https://www.vampirevape.co.uk/new-to-vaping

If i can help anyone please send me a PM

I know a few people who have used vaping, as a stepping stone to quitting. It has worked for them and they all now no longer smoke or vape

If you like Dave-G because , clearly, my post was directed at every single topic ever discussed - what a pointless retort. I'm still trying to understand the connection between my post and Mental Health issues - has this forum become a place where we can just assume or pretend that somebody said something? Maybe if you make something up but simply shout loud enough then it must be true? Unless, of course ,Smoking is a Mental illness?

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

If you like Dave-G because , clearly, my post was directed at every single topic ever discussed - what a pointless retort. I'm still trying to understand the connection between my post and Mental Health issues - has this forum become a place where we can just assume or pretend that somebody said something? Maybe if you make something up but simply shout loud enough then it must be true? Unless, of course ,Smoking is a Mental illness?

Hmm, maybe my wording was wrong, the point I was trying to make was its off topic, and we all have different topics that mean something to us perhaps more than other people. there's enough contributors to the topic that quite a few people feel its of some value.

Mental illness - well most of us found it hard to quit and its all in the mind... :hmm:

13 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

It’s drug addiction. Of course there can be many underlying issues why someone starts to take drugs, even legal ones, but it’s still an addiction.

Packed in May 29th 2019 after smoking too many rollies for years.

2 packs of amberleaf a week = the thick end of £50.

Went cold turkey after the consultant told me I had throat cancer.

On the mend now after treatment and still fancy a cigarette from time to time although I 

have no intention of starting again.

On 02/02/2020 at 15:05, figgy said:

Suoergoose 75 I can only go off my findings. I had to attend a smoking cessation clinic to get my tablets. We were all monitered constantly, blow into meters to see if you had been smoking.

Loads who were there had been before and to other clinics ran by them. Started with about 40 on the course. After first week lost about ten. By the end it was down to about a dozen. Around four of them had smoked after the stop.period of two weeks in. But were warned and stayed off but they had to take them for longer.

I was chatting to lots of them as we were passing time waiting our turns. Lots were not that bothered about giving up but thought they would try the tablet. Some had bad nightmares for a week or two, others said no real side affects, if any were having dark thoughts they never said.

My being disrispectful I don't think I am. Some do use any excuse, I never said all.

I tried from 15 years old not long after starting to smoke to pack in, couldn't. Tried hypnotherapy, cold turkey loads, cigars even a pipe. You mentioned dark thoughts when I went cold turkey in my early twenties, I was so bad tempered after a fortnight I could have pulled someone's arms and legs off. I take from.your writing dark thoughts yours were more within yourself.

Some were what I'd call scumbags and wasters, only looking to stop to save money not because they really wanted to stop.

Your affects off the tablets were different to mine. 

It's a bit of a strange one people attending clinics with no real intention of giving up and being not bothered if they did or not! Why be there in the first place? I'm not doubting these type excist but I think the larger majority would be there with the intention of quitting.

Ref- How it affected my mood. Yes the tablets had me almost numb and at a loss and in a browned off state. But with no irritable tendencies.

Quite the opposite when I went ''cold turkey''. I'd be easily irritated at the best of times and I definitely noticed my tolerance a lot thinner in the beginning.

But it did get better. I was on a high when I was off them and remember speaking with a guy in a pub after we called in for a few after work one evening. His words to me where not to be too confident about it as he had been there and all it took was a stressful period to start up again. He was a Lorry driver and he told me of a guy blowing the horn at him and he went bonkers and actually followed the guy as he really wanted him to pull in! He put it down to going off the fags and wanting to take his frustration out on someone.

The first one I smoked was when a ''Friend'' I met on a night out was persistent and I was weak and gave in and smoked one. It was a horrible taste but I smoked a few more that night and as soon as I wakened in the morning,the first thing I went for was! Yes you guessed it! I've been on them since.

I'm going to try the Vap again soon and couple it with Alan Carr's book to see how I go. I'm 44yrs old with two young children and I want to be there for them as long as I can.

My biggest miss was when Wildfowling. I so enjoyed a smoke on a cold morning when out fighting but I managed one flight without smoking which was a start but it was around the time I went back on them.

Edited by SuperGoose75

On 03/02/2020 at 09:11, Dunkield said:

At the risk of putting a slight downer on all this, I would query the magic self healing lung theory, although I have seen people get almost immediate health benefits after quitting.

My dad gave up 40 years before he died, he died of organ failure exacerbated by reduced lung capacity (COPD) and was on oxygen for 15 hours a day for the last 2 years of his life.

Of course he may just have been unlucky, we now someone who's nan smoked 80 a day all her life and played football until she died at 110 🙄

I have never smoked but I genuinely wish anyone who does the very best luck giving up, not just for you but your family and friends too

I wasn`t going to be the first, but I also question it too.

My mother gave up from being up to 60 a day but suffered from COPD and possibly it had a contributory effect to her dementia due to the reduced blood flow. My dad was suffering with it too but had a massive coronary in hospital and smashed his skull on the way down, he had stopped years ago and his second wife had her legs removed during her shortened life too.

I think the important thing though is to stop, otherwise it will shorten your life as well as give less quality of later life too, well done all those who have quit and keep on trying to those who are quitting!

Supergoose75, I know where your coming from being out and waiting.

I used to shoot rabbits in sales near Reeth, in the summer by the time is climbed up the dale to near the army ranges to sit over a glade with a huge Warren I was dripping and soaked with sweat. Instead of a cigarette as the sweat would drop off my nose and soak it. I bought a Falcon pipe in bronze colour and a nice big bowl I'd pack with hand rolling baccy, sit back and puff away waiting for bunnies to show the their heads. Could let it go out and re light as and when. I was in my twenties back then, it became a bit of a thing to go shooting and take my pipe.

The people on the same clinic as I artended, some I think we're there because if outside presdure, partners work or money, never really wanted to pack in.

Hope the vape works for you fella.

• 4 weeks later...