HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!!!

NatureBoy

1 hour ago, David BASC said:

If you check you will find that BASC was in close discussion with NE last year, as indeed we were every year with NE, DEFRA and before that DOE regarding the renewal of GL's. but at the last moment NE's lawyers gave advice to NE to cancel the licences which was not what WJ had asked, they simply asked for a full and formal review of the licences through 2019 to ensure their legality, a task that has now been passed to DEFRA. This last minute change caused all the problems we saw last year. 

No need to apologise for your error, an easy mistake to make I guess, but regardless of your personal views of BASC, if you think about it, there would be no logic in BASC refusing to consult on GL's as we have been at the table of GL's every year since they came into existence.

Moving on, the GL renewals for 2020 are still in discussion and under attack as we all know from certain quarters, its important that all those who use the GL's for crop or livestock protection, conservation work etcetera keep a close eye on the BASC website for updates and calls t

Edited by grahamch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, David BASC said:

If you check you will find that BASC was in close discussion with NE last year, as indeed we were every year with NE, DEFRA and before that DOE regarding the renewal of GL's. but at the last moment NE's lawyers gave advice to NE to cancel the licences which was not what WJ had asked, they simply asked for a full and formal review of the licences through 2019 to ensure their legality, a task that has now been passed to DEFRA. This last minute change caused all the problems we saw last year. 

No need to apologise for your error, an easy mistake to make I guess, but regardless of your personal views of BASC, if you think about it, there would be no logic in BASC refusing to consult on GL's as we have been at the table of GL's every year since they came into existence.

Moving on, the GL renewals for 2020 are still in discussion and under attack as we all know from certain quarters, its important that all those who use the GL's for crop or livestock protection, conservation work etcetera keep a close eye on the BASC website for updates and calls to action

i may have a edge young man but it’s nothing personal that clown slackman is more famous and popular than ever no amount of good works is going to stop him you need teeth shame it’s not a toe to toe you could send me round to see him 

Sadly I am no longer a young man, but thanks anyway😀 years of rugby and karate have taken their toll, and arthritis has set in.

Yes Mr.P is getting  plenty of air time but the strategy has to be working to ensure the GL's are robust and workable for all to use as originally intended by working with NE and DEFRA  and not getting distracted by noise created by those who oppose how we manage and conserve the countryside and protect crops and livestock

13 hours ago, David BASC said:

Moving on, the GL renewals for 2020 are still in discussion and under attack as we all know from certain quarters, its important that all those who use the GL's for crop or livestock protection, conservation work etcetera keep a close eye on the BASC website for updates and calls to action

David,

As best you can could you define the quoted words? I'm rather hoping that pens, paper, letters and words do not figure largely in your answer..

Many thanks.

Just tell us where we have to be, when and at what time. Also do we have to bring any corvids, rabbit or pigeon or will these be supplied? (And no, these are not to hang on somebodys' gate, but to show what is to blame for the price of food  going through the roof when we pack it all in and who is responsible for it)

8 hours ago, David BASC said:

Happy to help if I can, what would you like me to add, over and above what's on the BASC website

Thanks

David 

Are Wild Justice and other orgs in the same meetings with DEFRA as BASC David? Do you have these meetings together or individually? Avery is saying it's DEFRA and the shooting communities fault that they have had to threaten another challenge. Says the shooting community if pulling DEFRA's strings.  Do you know what they want? I read it they want more species off the list and individual licenses for different situation/sites?      NB 

I don't believe that WJ are in the same meetings, I understand they have separate communications, but it sees from WJ side to be letters from their solicitors. You may recall that BASC and the other orgs were involved in the consultation work with DEFRA last year and I guess many of you responded too.

Exactly what WJ want is moot, their attack is pretty board brush at the moment as you can see on their website. 

That is exactly our position! However, WJ wanted a full review of the licences, DEFRA started that last year, but have not published the results and recommendations.

BASC's point is that if that's the case simply extend the current licences for another 12 months and keep working on the recommendations..

WJ seem to be saying, don't extend the licences just suspend them until the review is complete and DEFRA's recommendations are published

Suspend the licenses 😂😂😂😂😂😂 farmers might as well not bother planing crops. Can you imagine the population explosion and damage. Some crops are so marginal profit wise with pests eating them and disease it's a coin toss whether farmers bother or not.

Edited by figgy

20 minutes ago, figgy said:

Suspend the licenses 😂😂😂😂😂😂 farmers might as well not bother planing crops. Can you imagine the population explosion and damage. Some crops are so marginal profit wise with pests eating them and disease it's a coin toss whether farmers bother or not.

hello, my friends farm has left acres of set aside and no rape due to that pesky beetle

Loads were left wondering when to drill and what to drill after all the rain and they know it's going to be a bad year. 

They say rape is an awful crop as from putting it in the ground to harvesting everything wants to eat it.

Edited by figgy

Wild Justice have now gone after NRW,so that's DEFRA ,NE,and NRW they are taking on.Surely they are spreading themselves on several fronts.Should it now be the time for all the shooting organisations to get together and fight them on all fronts.perhaps this time they may have bitten off more they can chew as they rely on their crowdfunding.We cannot allow them to keep brow beating us with their judicial reviews after all it is public money that pays for it in the long run.Time to come out fighting.

6 hours ago, Teal said:

Unsurprising but very disappointing. Unless the DEFRA position is sound, I can't understand why this hasn't been addressed. Another Spring, another year of potential big implications.

Yet listen to avery etc, these birds pose no threat and are not pest. Someone even says on a comment that ferel pigeons are not a risk to public health or safety. And that corvids pose no threat to other bird species... 

On 05/02/2020 at 17:52, panoma1 said:

From what I’ve seen over the last few years NRW are controlled by anti shooting interests within the Welsh Government!...... So WJ may be kicking on an open door? Don’t be surprised if they surrender at the first salvo, as NE did!

And theres a deafening silence from CA, BASC, SACS etc. etc.

11 hours ago, David BASC said:

Updates on the GL issue will be posted on the BASC website and members will be kept up to date via the weekly e-mail newsletter too. Suggest you keep an eye on the BASC website, or that of your chosen organisation.

Why was the non native collard dove taken off the GL? And now also in Scotland, What was the reason behind this?