Nikko Sterling Diamond 6-24x50 Scope

steve_b_wales

Yes, I have one with the half mil-dot recticle.

I had trouble zeroing it in at 100 yards run out of adjustment, needed a 20 moa rail for it to zero. Have sinced used it out to 600 yards (don't think there's enough adjustment left for 1000, but it has quite a few mil-dots) with no problems. Mine is sitting on a Howa 1500 in a APC chassis only used for target shooting.

It's a very clear scope, and the turrets are quite nice to use.

Edited by Newbie to this

On 30/01/2020 at 09:30, Newbie to this said:

Yes, I have one with the half mil-dot recticle.

I had trouble zeroing it in at 100 yards run out of adjustment, needed a 20 moa rail for it to zero. Have sinced used it out to 600 yards (don't think there's enough adjustment left for 1000, but has quite a few mil-dots) with no problems. Mine is sitting on a Howa 1500 in a APC chassis only used for target shooting.

It's a very clear scope, and the turrets are quite nice to use.

Edit - it's possible that it was the chassis causing the problem, without digging it out the cabinet, I think the scope sits quite high.

Thanks. The rifle it will be sitting on will be a Howa 1500 (stealth 2/Long range combo) with Oryx stock. It comes with a 20 MOA rail, so no problems there. The rifle will 95% of the time be used for target shooting.

Just now, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks. The rifle it will be sitting on with be a Howa 1500 (stealth 2 package) with Oryx stock. It comes with a 20 MOA rail, so no problems there. The rifle will 95% of the time be used for target shooting.

If it already has a 20 moa rail, you should be fine, other than my initial issue it's a nice scope :good:

With the 20 moa rail, I have enough adjustment left to zero at about 850 yards I think, either way there's plenty of adjustment left at a 600 zero. Enjoy your new rifle.

Steve b Wales,  the scope is a budget one that some love others hate. All comes down to your own eyes. The reticle has same amount of mildots as my mambalite and wasn't enough for me to push out further. Granted on air rifle targets but similar trajectory when you push the 308 out.

Do you have options with the package on scopes ?

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

If it already has a 20 moa rail, you should be fine, other than my initial issue it's a nice scope :good:

With the 20 moa rail, I have enough adjustment left to zero at about 850 yards I think, either way there's plenty of adjustment left at a 600 zero. Enjoy your new rifle.

I'll double check with regard to the 20moa rail, but can always purchase one if it's not included. I don't think I'll be shooting more than 600 yards. Looking forward to getting the package. Just waiting for my renewal to come back first. It expires in May but sent off already to (hopefully) get it back sooner. I realise that all rifles shoot differently, but what gr bullets are you using? I plan to reload mine.

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

Steve b Wales,  the scope is a budget one that some love others hate. All comes down to your own eyes. The reticle has same amount of mildots as my mambalite and wasn't enough for me to push out further. Granted on air rifle targets but similar trajectory when you push the 308 out.

Do you have options with the package on scopes ?

I don't think there's an option on scopes, but I could ask for a price without one. I like the Hawke brand (Endurance etc) scopes.

2 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'll double check with regard to the 20moa rail, but can always purchase one if it's not included. I don't think I'll be shooting more than 600 yards. Looking forward to getting the package. Just waiting for my renewal to come back first. It expires in May but sent off already to (hopefully) get it back sooner. I realise that all rifles shoot differently, but what gr bullets are you using? I plan to reload mine.

At the moment I'm using 168grn GGG match, but plan on trying some 155grn match when next out. I've only shot about 40 through it at the moment and do plan on reloading once I have a rough idea of what the rifle likes.

Steve it maybe a bargain being bundled in but never kniw.

Scopes are such a personel thing, I like to dial my elevation but for some I like to hold over. Having 10 mildots is a must for me.

Hawke are now offering lifetime warranties too.

I took an age to take the plunge on a new scope  as I couldn't find anywhere localish to look through them and after lots of recommendation bought the Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50, glass is much better than I thought it would be.

Cyclops Joe on YouTube is worth a watch he says it as it is. Get to see through them all via a camera. As he gives them a work out.

On 30/01/2020 at 10:04, figgy said:

Steve it maybe a bargain being bundled in but never kniw.

Scopes are such a personel thing, I like to dial my elevation but for some I like to hold over. Having 10 mildots is a must for me.

Hawke are now offering lifetime warranties too.

I took an age to take the plunge on a new scope  as I couldn't find anywhere localish to look through them and after lots of recommendation bought the Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50, glass is much better than I thought it would be.

Cyclops Joe on YouTube is worth a watch he says it as it is. Get to see through them all via a camera. As he gives them a work out.

Thanks. I also either dial in or hold over. I know the scope in the package is not the best, and there's plenty of better ones on the market in the same price range. I'm happy to purchase a different scope but don't want to spend too many £100's on something that will be used once or twice a month. I'll check out Cyclops Joe and also the Vortex Diamond.:good:

18 minutes ago, figgy said:

I bought mine from optics trade Europe, saved £50.00 the full lifetime warranty of you break it run it over etc they replace it was a factor. 

:good:

I've just emailed the RFD who I'm buying the rifle package off to see if it can be bought without the scope, and what the price difference would be.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've just emailed the RFD who I'm buying the rifle package off to see if it can be bought without the scope, and what the price difference would be.

If it is coming from Highland outdoors they probably won't deviate from their packages. I didn't have a slot for a Moderator when I bought mine and they wouldn't drop it out the package, luckily the RFD I was buying from said he would hold the moderator without charge.

19 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

If it is coming from Highland outdoors they probably won't deviate from their packages. I didn't have a slot for a Moderator when I bought mine and they wouldn't drop it out the package, luckily the RFD I was buying from said he would hold the moderator without charge.

Not sure who the supplier is, I'm buying it from Bagnall & Kirkwood as they offered the best package, pricewise. I'll probably just have the scope, and put it up for sale straight away, and in the meantime, get something else. I do like the Hawke Endurance 30 WA SF 4-16x50 IR SF scope, as I have one on my Howa 1500 (.204)

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Not sure who the supplier is, I'm buying it from Bagnall & Kirkwood as they offered the best package, pricewise. I'll probably just have the scope, and put it up for sale straight away, and in the meantime, get something else. I do like the Hawke Endurance 30 WA SF 4-16x50 IR SF scope, as I have one on my Howa 1500 (.204)

I wish they were offering Hawke in the packages. I would have chosen a Hawke over the Nikko. 

I may still put a Hawke on it yet, but for now the Nikko is doing it's job.

Either way enjoy your new purchase.

Edited by Newbie to this

23 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I wish they were offering Hawke in the packages. I would have chosen a Hawke over the Nikko. 

I may still put a Hawke on it yet, but for now the Nikko is doing it's job.

Either way enjoy your new purchase.

I agree. Most of my scopes have been / are Hawke. The Endurance WA SF one I have is excellent.

5 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

At the moment I'm using 168grn GGG match, but plan on trying some 155grn match when next out. I've only shot about 40 through it at the moment and do plan on reloading once I have a rough idea of what the rifle likes.

I'm planning on trying 168grn factory loads first, then if they suit my rifle, I'll start working on a decent load for them.

168grn went well through mine. After zeroing, at 100 yards, I was knocking the marker out the target, so more or less through the same hole:good:

At 600 on a very tricky day, I managed a 48 out of 50 with them. I'm going to try the 155grn because it is what our club use as club ammo. If they don't go as well I will just stick with the 168grn or maybe try heavier.

Edited by Newbie to this

3 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Update: The RFD who is supplying my rifle package reckoned that it would only reduce the total price by around £50, so I'll have the scope and either keep it or offer it up for sale.

Thought that would be the case.  Never know you might like it.

I watched a video last night comparing a $2500.00 scope to 400 one for target shooting. He didn't pick the best 400 dollar scope to out up against the Leopold that's for sure. Apart from glass the budget scopes can track well and have good reticle.

52 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Hi Steve, I have one on my Howa Bravo in .223 - as was said previously I struggled with close zero but bottomed out it's just on at 100. It's an okay scope, suffers a bit from shimmer on a hot barrel - certainly worse than the Hawke on my .308 but seems to do the job on paper

Thanks. I'll accept the scope and will probably keep it, or put it up for sale. They retail for around £250. I think I will probably get a Hawke, as I have one on my .204 and it's excellent, plus lifetime 'no fault' warranty.